How to reset Check engine and VSC warning lights - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 Old 04-22-2014, 09:26 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinperson View Post
I just wanted to say THANKS! I have a Lexus 400h 2006 that my local mechanic replaced the breaks and rotors. His computer could not read the vsc problem and he said he would pay the lexus dealer to fix the problem if needed. They want $150....

with the 400h 2006 you have to jumper TS and CG. (NOT TC like the above diagram)

__/[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]_\
_/[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]__\

If you have a navigation system you can actually look at individual codes. Anyway, I could not get the diag vsc 45 code to clear, after 30 min of trying, I found I was not pumping the breaks fast enough. You have to go fast!

Thanks Again!
No probs. Glad it worked
BTW, I recommend making up a plug with those links connected for future use. Details in my last post. And yes, I was delighted to see all the info coming up on the Nav screen!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 Old 06-20-2014, 05:36 AM
New TN User

UK Vsc check lights on AS A CHRISTMAS TREE

Hi JSTCD and anyone who have similar issues,

Thank you for helping us.

I have bought Lexus RX 400h SE-L 2007 1st of JUNE 2014. After one week VSC Check light
come up and gone after restarting the engine.
Now on the 2nd week the VSC Check light come up and stayed even I restarted
the engine (on Monday 16/06). Next morning it was fine and still did not come back since.

1st week my MPG was just 27 mpg. 2nd week 32 mpg. This week 29 mpg.
Now after monday VSC check lights the car has some kind of a drag.
Soon I start and move my car engine kicks in immediately where as before I could drive
on batteries for at least 15 - 25 sec from cold. Battery level same.

Q#1: How long you guys in seconds you can drive on batteries till Engine
kicks in from cold start? I have no experience. Tnx.

Thanks to your help I did managed 8 press and got the message VSC OK.
Now it seems the mpg is 29 mpg as of Friday 20/06 and engine kicks in constantly.
Some kind of drag like when Regeneration Brake is still on. (? not sure)
I do the same journey 15 miles a day.

Q#2: When I did the process I noticed codes on Multi message screen "DIAG VSC"
showing Codes =43, 45, 62, 63. And continuously repeating. Navigation info was all OK.
I managed to have a message VSC OK thought.
What these codes represents?

Did I bought a car with a FAULT? Like Differential Axle or rear electrical motor problems or
Regeneration Brake problems? Seems like a lot of Faults.
Sounds like it will cost me arm and leg s.

PLEASE KINDLY HELP JSTCD or anyone who knows the score.

Regards and many thanks in advance.

Last edited by LexusRX400hSE-L; 06-20-2014 at 05:59 AM.
post #18 of 50 Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 AM
New TN User

VSC light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusRX400hSE-L View Post

I have bought Lexus RX 400h SE-L 2007 1st of JUNE 2014. After one week VSC Check light
the engine (on Monday 16/06). Next morning it was fine and still did not come back since.

Soon I start and move my car engine kicks in immediately where as before I could drive

Now it seems the mpg is lower then 30 mpg and engine kicks in constantly.

showing Codes =43, 45, 62, 63. And continuously repeating. Navigation info was all OK.

Did I bought a car with a FAULT? Like Differential Axle or rear electrical motor problems or

In my case the VSC was caused by a weak 12 volt battery.
I replaced it with an expensive Optima Yellow Top battery
Since then I have had NO VSC problems.
So it was well worth the expense!
Lexus just won't listen!!!
BUT it sounds like you may have other problems, which I can't advise on. Sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to billygarrett For This Useful Post:
LexusRX400hSE-L (06-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 50 Old 06-20-2014, 02:49 PM
New TN User

UK

Hi.

Thank you for your kind reply and time.

I have checked my battery and it is quite new Jan 2012 made by Bosch quite good quality.

Also I have rechecked the codes and all is clear and says VSC OK. And mpg went up and do not feel a drag whatsoever. Thanks for your help on forum.

The previous owner has spend quite substantial amount of money on it and I have all receipts.
Last service was done last August and big 6th year service has been done. Water pump, Campbelt and sparkle plugs changed. All 6 services done by Lexus. Also you were right front tyres and break disk was replaced, which triped the check lights apparent.

When MOT was done last October it passed it, but it was advised of a leak from front passenger side drive shaft/ transmission oil seal leak. Which I have missed when purchased the car. Now unfortunately it is leaking most probably.
By the look of it I have around 5 cm or 2 inch of leakage on the garage floor.

I don't know what to do, now. Guys anyone has ideas, please.

Please advise.

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusRX400hSE-L
UK Vsc check lights on AS A CHRISTMAS TREE

Now it seems the mpg is 29 mpg as of Friday 20/06 and engine kicks in constantly.
Some kind of drag like when Regeneration Brake is still on. (? not sure)

ihbayar
my email is [email protected]
I don't have those codes, so can't help there, but a repeating fault light is usually indicative of some sort of issue. VSC is "vehicle stability control" so the lights are to do with your abs braking system and control. Make sure the brake fluid level is correct, pards/rotors are proper thickness, no leaks, master cylander working, brakes not seized etc.

This light will go on, if the brake pads were replaced before you bought the car and the light wasn't reset. However if you reset it once and the light comes back, its likely a real problem.

If it is off, and continues to stay off, I'd ignore it.

If the VSC light comes on, all traction control and abs braking, some hybrid modes and in some cases 4 wheel drive are disabled, also I believe the car goes into a "limp home" mode. The car should not be considered safe to drive with this light on, and certainly won't be efficient.

When operating correctly, the car will not enter hybrid mode until it the engine is warmed up. This is by design. There exist driving techniques to get the car to hybrid mode faster, as well there exist circuits ( i made one once) to fool the computer into thinking the engine is warmer than it is.

Your mileages seem reasonable for the car, I would think the problem there is that your driving hasn't adjusted to driving a hybrid yet. There are tecniques for getting the most out of a hybrid.

Another thing I would check is the small 12v battery, the OEM one sucks and this can cause a lot of issues. I replaced mine with an walmart one and regret not having done so earlier.

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTCD View Post
Resetting maintenance lights:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check Engine Light:
Use scan gauge, check for error codes then clear.
Or
  1. Turn ignition to 'ACC'
  2. Press the odometer button until the display reads actual mileage... not Trip A or B.
  3. Turn ignition off.
  4. Press and hold Hold odometer button, then while holding button in turn car ON
  5. Hold for a few seconds. Next time you start car, light should be off.
Note: If you turn on the car.
then pres and hold the odometer button within 6sec
while holding the button down fasten your seatbelt within 10sec,
Then you can enter a nifty mode which will allow you to turn off the seatbelt alarm.

Hybrid system warning: Can be cleared with scangauge

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check VSC system warning:

Scangauge cannot read these error codes, nor reset this light.

It would appear that regen braking, traction control, and posibly some anti rollover control is dissabled if this warning light is on. So it is both fuel inneficient and possibly dangerous to drive with this light on.

First find the obd computer plug, under the dash, near your left knee, where your scanguage plugs in.
Turn car OFF.
Use a paper clip or wire to jump TC to CG.
TC is on the top shorter row, 4th pin starting from left
CG is bottom longer row, 5th pin starting from left
See diagram:

__/[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]_\
_/[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]__\

Note: I saw some posts when researcing this suggesting a jump between TS and CG. (TS is just to the left of TC ie 3rd pin). While this may/may not work on some Toyotas. On the HIHI this doesn't seem to do anything other than cause a Hybrid System Warning to be thrown. So don't.

Once the jumper is in place, To read your VSC error codes:
  1. Turn car to ON, you should see the message "VSC DIAG".It will read "VSC DIAG OK" if there are no codes.
  2. Brake warning lights will go off for 4s, then start to flash. Count the flashes, these are the error codes that caused the light to come on. They may be real, and something may need to be fixed. If the car really is broken, just resetting the light won’t do much, as it will soon trip again.
If the brake lights continually flash, then there are no codes and the display should read: "VSC DIAG OK"
Once the jumper is in place, To reset you VSC error codes and lights:
  1. turn car on.
  2. Press the bakes (enough to make the tail lights come on, not all they way) and release 8 times. Once you have done it enough times the display will change to "VSC DIAG OK"
Remember to remove jumper wire when done.
You must complete the 8 presses within 5 seconds

I needed to do this after changing my brake pads caused this error to flag. Very neat. I suspect there are other diagnostic modes that could be found.

As always, sometimes error lights get thrown for no reason, just clear them and don't worry. But sometimes they get thrown for a reason. Ignoring real problems in your car could be dangerous for you and/or the car.

Last edited by LexusRX400hSE-L; 06-21-2014 at 07:54 AM.
post #20 of 50 Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 AM
New TN User

Thumbs up VSC light

I found the best investment for my car was a scangauge 2 http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

My battery was only just over 2 years old when I started having vsc /check hybrid system /abs problems, and it kept going flat after 2 or 3 days not being driven.

So between my home made plug/switch and my Scangauge I have been able to clear any fault codes!

I can't help with leak. Sorry!
post #21 of 50 Old 06-21-2014, 07:50 AM
New TN User

UK

Hi all.

I have checked the leak and it was not a oil but water from condensation of air conditioner. What a relief.

Checked if if there is a leak from driveshaft/ transmission oil seal as it was advisory on MOT last October was fixed and all OK. What a relief.

Thanks to JSTCD and Billy for time and advices, appreciate.

Checked codes again this morning and all OK. Followed procedure as described.
My mpg went up to 31 mpg in the city and can not be happier.

Now, can't wait to go for holiday in France end of August, taking ferry and will drive till Spanish border.
I'm sure, Billy, you enjoyed your Holiday in continent last June. And without trouble with your codes.

Thanks Billy for scangauge info sharing. How do you connect with your OBD2?

I have ELM327 1.4 version of bluetooth adapter and can read all ECU info on my Android Galaxy Note 3 using Torque app.
Unfortunately it did not picked up VSC Check light at all. But now I know how.

Once again many thanks JSTCD for your great help to us.
Greetings from London UK.

Regards

Quote:
Check Engine Light:
Or
  2. Press the odometer button until the display reads actual mileage... not Trip A or B.
  3. Turn ignition off.
  4. Press and hold Hold odometer button, then while holding button in turn car ON
Then you can enter a nifty mode which will allow you to turn off the seatbelt alarm.

It would appear that regen braking, traction control, and posibly some anti rollover control is dissabled if this warning light is on. So it is both fuel inneficient and possibly dangerous to drive with this light on.

First find the obd computer plug, under the dash, near your left knee, where your scanguage plugs in.
Turn car OFF.
See diagram:

__/[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]_\

Note: I saw some posts when researcing this suggesting a jump between TS and CG. (TS is just to the left of TC ie 3rd pin). While this may/may not work on some Toyotas. On the HIHI this doesn't seem to do anything other than cause a Hybrid System Warning to be thrown. So don't.

1. Turn car to ON, you should see the message "VSC DIAG".It will read "VSC DIAG OK" if there are no codes.
  2. Brake warning lights will go off for 4s, then start to flash. Count the flashes, these are the error codes that caused the light to come on. They may be real, and something may need to be fixed. If the car really is broken, just resetting the light won’t do much, as it will soon trip again.
If the brake lights continually flash, then there are no codes and the display should read: "VSC DIAG OK"
  1. turn car on.
  2. Press the bakes (enough to make the tail lights come on, not all they way) and release 8 times. Once you have done it enough times the display will change to "VSC DIAG OK"

I needed to do this after changing my brake pads caused this error to flag. Very neat. I suspect there are other diagnostic modes that could be found.

As always, sometimes error lights get thrown for no reason, just clear them and don't worry. But sometimes they get thrown for a reason. Ignoring real problems in your car could be dangerous for you and/or the car.

Last edited by LexusRX400hSE-L; 06-23-2014 at 03:49 AM.
post #22 of 50 Old 06-21-2014, 09:03 AM
New TN User

BSC light

No probs
I do recommend either making up an OBD plug with or without a switch with the 2 pins described in other post and or get a Scangauge 2.
Mine is worth its weight in diamonds and gold!
It got me out of trouble twice by clearing codes while away from home.
No need to call AA!!!
Have a good trip
post #23 of 50 Old 07-22-2014, 12:53 PM
New TN User

do you know anything about a 2006 hihi with 150000 mi. oil pan plug wearing out because of recommended 5000 mi oil changes?
post #24 of 50 Old 07-22-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That seams crazy.
1) your supposed to change the hihi oil every 3000km,
2) that's only 30 oil changes, the plug is a steal bolt, so I can't see it wearing out that fast.
If true, the replacement plug would only be a $5 part so replace it.
post #25 of 50 Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 AM
New TN User

Thumbs up VSC Lights did not turn off (2010 Corolla S model) using TC AND CG

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla S. I used the approached list by JustCD. TC (4th from top left) and CG (5th from botttom left) and start the ignition without starting engine (I also started the engine on 2nd and 3rd attempts) but it did not work. Please advise. My VSC Lights for the 2010 Toyota Corolla shows as 'VSC Off' with the Check Engine lights on after starting (engine) car and without starting car. Advise?
post #26 of 50 Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Alas, the procedures I posted are specifically for Toyota 2006 Highlander Hybrid.

While they may work on some other model years, or even in some cases on other models, they more probably will not. Sorry.

As always driving with a VSC issue or a VSC Light on is dangerous.
post #27 of 50 Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 AM
New TN User

Can a brake job cause a vsc light on
post #28 of 50 Old 11-29-2014, 09:22 AM
New TN User

Changing brake

Do you do anything else after you change your rear brake
post #29 of 50 Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Easy Fix for AWD, VSC, ABS and AntiSkid Lights All On

There have been many incomplete or inaccurate posts regarding this common HiHy issue. Here are the simple steps that will fix most cases of multiple warning lights, specifically CHECK VSC CHECK AWD ABS ANTISKID appearing on the dashboard of your HiHy. Mine is a 2006 with 123K + and here's how I fixed it each and every time.
Prior to dealing with the warning lights, you should correct the problem's cause, which in my case was one or more of the wheel speed sensors being dirty.
1. Clean the sensor(s). A single 10mm bolt holds each sensor in place at the rear of the brake caliper. Remove the sensor, then clean it with a rag. Finally replace it.
Now you're ready to reset the warning lights, which is done as follows:
2. Using a paper clip, jump TC and CG on the OBD2 connector as shown here.

3. Turn Ignition On (no need to start)
4. Press and Release Brake Pedal 8 Times in less than 5 seconds.
5. After a slight delay, readout in speedometer should read "VSC DIAG OK"
6. Remove Jumper in OBD2 connector.
7. Enjoy your Highlander Hybrid without annoying warning lights.
post #30 of 50 Old 03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Check Engine Light:
Or
  3. Turn ignition off.

Turn car OFF.
See diagram:

1. turn car on.

Hey,

I just wanted to post a quick thank you. I had this very problem today and this procedure worked like a charm, fixed my problem in about 15 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid