How to reset Check engine and VSC warning lights - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 Old 05-17-2015, 04:04 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
hi I received error code 1345 in my gs430 2008 and could not do the calibration of linear solenoid valve in test mode ,when I start the calibration which must 120 sec, in 80th sec a sound like air leak heard and process stopped from test mode to check mode VSC/ECB,now my ABS VSC BRAKE and trac control light remain on ,please help me regardingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 06-27-2015, 12:33 PM
New TN User

I had tried everything to get my VSC and TRAC OFF lights to reset. This worked perfectly. Dude, you are a genius! Local mechanic said it was an O2 sensor, but then CHECK ENGINE light went off so he scanned it again. A different error came up, one that involved pulling the engine. He said that he didn't think anything was wrong but couldn't get the two lights mentioned above to go off. Called the Toyota dealership;they wanted $90 just to scan it. By the way, the local mechanic only charged me for the oil change that I requested as well. Toyota did tell me that when CHECK ENGINE light comes on that for safety purposes the Traction Control System automatically shuts off. It's been two days: no lights and everything is running smoothly. BTW I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna LE with 132,000 miles. This seems like a very common problem among Toyotas, so anyone reading this if you find yourself in the same predicament, do what JSCTD posted before you try anything else. I love Toyotas but quirking things like this are ridiculous because sometimes people are paying some serious money when nothing is wrong. I think in my situation a loose gas cap caused the CHECK ENGINE light to come on which in turn caused the VSC and TRAC OFF lights to come on. Had I not read this post and had an honest local mechanic, I could have ended up getting fleeced. Thank you very much.
post #33 of 50 Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 PM
New TN User

We did this and the brake light flashed as follows:
Any help in determining what this means is wrong?
(It's a toyota highlander hybrid, 2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 09-09-2015, 09:42 PM
New TN User

What is "acc" and "on" in your description ? I have tried this answer to no avail , unless I just do not understand your terms. I own a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid and have just completed a brake rotor and pad job. The brake , abs , traction control and Vsc lights and warnings are on. Help !
post #35 of 50 Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 AM
New TN User

I had my rotors and brake pads replaced on my 2007 Camry Hybrid. Now I have two brake warning lites, master warning lite,slip indicator ,and ABS warning lite. On the little screen it also has VSC system error. Can I reset by disconnecting battery or is there another alternative.
post #36 of 50 Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I had this issue with my TCH and a brief moment of fear with my 12 HiHy.
Should you decide to use Torque app and CHEAP OBD2 BT adapter, this eventually will trip Check VSC light. Discontinuing BT adapter apparently corrects the issue when parked overnight without it. How this works I don't know, I cam across this in Prius forum.
So yes, I was driving for quite a while with $8 BT OBD2 adapter in my TCH and started getting those "ABS/VSC" warning lights. They will disappear for a day or half day after overnight parking but then come back. I eventually found that Prius post on BT adapter, discontinued it and that was it.
Out of curiosity I tried same adapter in HiHY and sure enough, after about 4 weeks of driving with it plugged in, same lights came up. Discontinued adapter.
Also, CAN bus/ABS code reader will read ABS/VSC codes. Does not have to be expensive. HFT has one for about $120 that I bought and it did read VSC code on TCH. It was something generically vague, basically, some sor of miscommunication between sensors and VSC module that tripped the light. How is that caused by BT adapter beats me.
Some also say that is you were using a CABLED OBD2 connector, that does not trip any codes. Basically, what they say, you can have a USB BT adapter plugged into USB/OBD2 port cable and have your Torque or laptop connected - and it will NOT trip any codes. Or, one of them expensive BT OBD2 adapters.

post #37 of 50 Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2005 Toyota Camry and in fall of 2014, had new brakes & rotors installed. About a 3 months later, while on an out of town trip, my Trac Off, VSC & Check engine lights all came on at once. The car did not appear to run or handle any differently though. There was snow & ice one the roads at the time. I didn't take it in to have it checked, but the lights just went off by themselves about 2 months later. This has happened twice since that first time.....always during snow & ice when traction is poor and they always go back off a couple months later on their own. It's worrisome to me though. I've read so many opinions on what causes this on numerous websites. I'm going to try this trick and see if it works. Thanks for info I feel confident in.
post #38 of 50 Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 PM
New TN User

I think I love you! Lol.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-21-2016, 01:34 PM
New TN User

2010 Toyota Corolla S "VSC OFF" and "CHECK " lights kept turn On and Flashing.
So simple to fix ! I tried many different method and they did not work.
Steps:
1) Use any OBDII Scan tool, I bought from eBay $6.00 Maxiscan MS300.
2) Look OBD small door on bottom left next Hood opener.
3) Insert OBDII Scan to this terminal and start the car.
4) You will see OBDII Scan Tool screen Menu ( DTC, ERASE, I/M, VIN, RESCAN) You want to select ERASE and hit ENTER. It took 2 seconds, you could see " VSC OFF" and "CHECK" lights are cleared.

Start you car engine and VSC's issue should be gone.

Cheer

Last edited by lxta2011; 02-21-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #40 of 50 Old 08-23-2016, 01:23 PM
SCBSW

Hello folks,

Sorry to bringing this old thread, i've just bought a 08 Hybrid Highlander then all of a sudden those VSC, Brake malfunction warnings came on. Tried this method just as it says (8 brakes within 5 sec etc ) but i can't see "VSC Diag" "VSC Diag OK" on anywhere ? So i was just waiting for couple minutes doing nothing and ON again then errors messages were gone tho, What am i missing ?
post #41 of 50 Old 08-23-2016, 02:56 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollo15 View Post
Hello folks,

Sorry to bringing this old thread, i've just bought a 08 Hybrid Highlander then all of a sudden those VSC, Brake malfunction warnings came on. Tried this method just as it says (8 brakes within 5 sec etc ) but i can't see "VSC Diag" "VSC Diag OK" on anywhere ? So i was just waiting for couple minutes doing nothing and ON again then errors messages were gone tho, What am i missing ?
Hi, I had this problem with '06 a couple of years ago, I used the paperclip shorting trip at the head of this article, it worked for me, I take no responsibility if it cooks your car :>

Try this too, though the pins may be the same as referenced above:
post #42 of 50 Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 AM
New TN User

I've got an 09 hihy limited. A few weeks ago, I got an error message saying that the brakes malfunctioned and I got all sorts of blinking error messages. I reset it using the procedure with the paperclip and a few days later it all came back again. I put the clip back on a counted the number of times the warning lights blinked. ABS, four then two, long pause, and repeat, VSC, four then five , long pause and repeat, brake warning exclamation mark, six then nine, long pause and repeat. how do I take these numbers and come up with the code from them? Everything I've found is a four digit code with a letter in front of it.
post #43 of 50 Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
How about simply using OBD2 scanner to scan for error codes? You need one that can read ABS codes, but it's easy "B&R" from say Harbor Freight.... Basic code readers they have at parts stores do not read ABS codes.

post #44 of 50 Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 PM
New TN User

2006 Highlander Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecowboy View Post
There have been many incomplete or inaccurate posts regarding this common HiHy issue. Here are the simple steps that will fix most cases of multiple warning lights, specifically CHECK VSC CHECK AWD ABS ANTISKID appearing on the dashboard of your HiHy. Mine is a 2006 with 123K + and here's how I fixed it each and every time.
Prior to dealing with the warning lights, you should correct the problem's cause, which in my case was one or more of the wheel speed sensors being dirty.
1. Clean the sensor(s). A single 10mm bolt holds each sensor in place at the rear of the brake caliper. Remove the sensor, then clean it with a rag. Finally replace it.
Now you're ready to reset the warning lights, which is done as follows:
2. Using a paper clip, jump TC and CG on the OBD2 connector as shown here.
__/[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]_\
_/[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]__\

3. Turn Ignition On (no need to start)
4. Press and Release Brake Pedal 8 Times in less than 5 seconds.
5. After a slight delay, readout in speedometer should read "VSC DIAG OK"
6. Remove Jumper in OBD2 connector.
7. Enjoy your Highlander Hybrid without annoying warning lights.
So I tried the above (cleaned sensor good and did the jumper), but I still have to remove the negative battery post for a couple of minutes to get it going. Then it goes for a few miles and the three lights come on again. once I cut it off i have to remove the neg battery post to go to the next place. Still saying Check Hybrid System and VSC error in the dash. Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evernote Snapshot 20170522 182708.jpg
Views:	7784
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	125674  
post #45 of 50 Old 07-15-2017, 12:37 PM
New TN User

I have a Lexus IS250 year 2008, had all lights ON: brakes, ABS and traction, not checking engine, all this happened after I replace a bearing hub assy on a rear wheel, tried a few things before with no results, was tired of alarm lights ON, more than a month already, tried the jumper you suggested and the system did a full reset, even can see it on the screen, and all codes were reset, thanks for the suggestion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid