Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY Rav4 Timing Belt Video + Water Pump, Cam and Crank Seals, Oil Pump Seals, Pulleys

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BMR 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted a DIY, step-by-step youtube video for the full timing belt job for the '96 - '00 Rav4 (3SFE engine). If anyone is interested to do this job as a DIY, here is the link:

I tried to show every step, and all the parts and tools, so that anyone who'd like to do this job can see everything that is required. The video shows removal of all the parts needed to reach the timing belt (alternator, engine mount, belts, harmonic balancer, etc), and then all the behind-the-belt work (cam & crank seals, oil pulley shaft seal, oil pump housing gasket, water pump, and tensioner and idler pulleys).

I show all the part #'s in the very beginning, for anyone who needs to see the parts in advance, and I included all the torque values from the Toyota FSM during the install of each part. The video also shows the re-install of each part, and the coolant bleeding process (for those who are changing the water pump, too).

So, it is a long video because it shows all the steps. There is a long list of timestamps in the first comment which allows you to jump around the video easily.

If you have never done this job before, you will want two full days. If you are working efficiently, have good tools, and don't encounter any surprises along the way, you can get it done in one full day.

If you have done this job before, or if you just have any tips, please add any tips that you'd like to share to help others complete this job in the comment section.

Good luck with your repair!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! Added this to the DIY sticky.

#3 ·
I posted a DIY, step-by-step youtube video for the full timing belt job for the '96 - '00 Rav4 (3SFE engine). If anyone is interested to do this job as a DIY, here is the link:

I tried to show every step, and all the parts and tools, so that anyone who'd like to do this job can see everything that is required. The video shows removal of all the parts needed to reach the timing belt (alternator, engine mount, belts, harmonic balancer, etc), and then all the behind-the-belt work (cam & crank seals, oil pulley shaft seal, oil pump housing gasket, water pump, and tensioner and idler pulleys).

I show all the part #'s in the very beginning, for anyone who needs to see the parts in advance, and I included all the torque values from the Toyota FSM during the install of each part. The video also shows the re-install of each part, and the coolant bleeding process (for those who are changing the water pump, too).

So, it is a long video because it shows all the steps. There is a long list of timestamps in the first comment which allows you to jump around the video easily.

If you have never done this job before, you will want two full days. If you are working efficiently, have good tools, and don't encounter any surprises along the way, you can get it done in one full day.

If you have done this job before, or if you just have any tips, please add any tips that you'd like to share to help others complete this job in the comment section.

Good luck with your repair!
Hi good info.I have a 1994 Rav 4 and has blown head gasket, So with help decided to do Cambelt etc and while there replace oil pump.As not started yet just getting parts needed, Is the video the same for the 1994. Any advise appreciated, cheers Steve cossee@xtra.co.nz

#4 ·
I’d forgotten about this vid! I found it on YouTube and found to be it very good, even though I’ve done several TB jobs on my other Toyotas. I’m referring to it often as I’m bringing a ‘98 2dr soft top back from the dead, here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.