NEW front brake dust shields installed.... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation RAV4

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DPFAST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
NEW front brake dust shields installed....

OK, the dust shields for the front rotors on my '02 Rav4 rusted through completely. From all the youtube videos I noticed that the only way to replace it would be to remove everything including the hub bearing out of the knuckle. Well, this is what I did this afternoon to replace them:

First I ordered mine from ToyotaPartsOverstock.com for $27 per shield.
The drivers side went with no problems. First I took out the whole caliper/rotor assembly out and rested on the bucket. The 4 little bolts that held the shield to the knuckle were rusted but I was able to unscrew them without any difficulties. These bolts were 10mm bolts with 6 point hex on top. 10mm socket took care of it without any problems.

On drivers side I was able to reuse these bolts to secure the new dust shield.
The shield itself had to be modify as I didn't wanna take out the whole hub assembly. I was able to cut out the slim side so than the dust shield could be slide onto the hub behind the bearing.

The passenger side was a different story. 2 out of the 4 bolts came out Ok, but the other 2 did not want to spin out. In the end I stripped out the 2 bolts and needed to think little harder. What I did, was using my Dremel with diamond wheel to cut/polish two opposite sides of each bolt to create flat surface on opposite sides of the bolt.. Then I was able to use 6mm wretchet to unbolt each bolt.

For the passenger side I used M6-1.0X12MM hex head cap screw with washers as the original screws weren't usable anymore.

End result is great as I probably will not have to do this again. The original lasted me 200,000 miles which I just did last Friday.

Hope this helps anyone who thinks of doing this but the idea of taking out the bearing/hub assembly scares them out of their mind.
BamZipPow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 AM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,928 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Nice! Added this to the sticky at the top of the page. If you folks know of any other DIY threads that should be in there, just let me know and I'll add them.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 66k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 400k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to BMR For This Useful Post:
DPFAST (10-20-2015)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPFAST View Post
The shield itself had to be modify as I didn't wanna take out the whole hub assembly. I was able to cut out the slim side so than the dust shield could be slide onto the hub behind the bearing.
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Any issues with rattling with that piece cut out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacsap View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Any issues with rattling with that piece cut out?

Thanks
No rattling at all. Just make sure you install all of the screws especially the ones at the ends of the cutout. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum > RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005)