Battery won't turn off issue - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation RAV4

1Likes
  • 1 Post By beelieyvang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-22-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Battery won't turn off issue

Hi, I have a problem that, hopefully, someone might have the solution too. The problem that I have is that my battery wont turn off even after I've taken the key out of the ignition. The windshield wiper and windshield fluid pump works. The car would start up and run fine. However, when I turn off the car, the engine would shut off but the battery is still on. I had to replace the battery because it was drained overnight.

Whenever I start the engine, it felt like the engine has to give a little extra power to start. I'm not sure how to explain it but it sounds and felt a little different from when I normally start it before this issue. I have checked all the relays but they seem to be fine. Right now, I took the negative connector to the battery off so it doesn't drain. I'm not sure what the problem is so if anyone have any idea how solve this problem or have had similar issues as mine, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you get a multimeter that measures current? Craftsman has one for under $20.

Here's an overview of the testing you will do: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/2...-1-2-days.html . Drive your Rav until the battery is all charged up. Then do the steps given in any of the following:

youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0 (17 mins)

youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU (11 mins)

youtube.com/watch?v=ES-rjFfuxq4 (6 mins)

youtu.be/B__DqK90IIc (Scotty Kilmer, 3 mins)

Maybe pull the windshield wiper fuses first, fuses 33 and 34 in the instrument panel fuse box, since you think these circuits may be the problem? The inside cover of the fuse box should show their exact location.

Here are the fuses in your Rav: https://www.autogenius.info/toyota-r...e-box-diagram/

Some or all wiring diagrams for your Rav: https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...96b43f80379f57

Is the dome light on after you shut off the engine and remove the key, suggesting a door is not completely closed?

Here's a guy who found an A/C system relay had failed: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8...ery-drain.html

Here's discussion of the remote starting system and the stereo causing battery drains: https://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-...roblems-2.html

Make sure your battery cable connections and the battery terminals are clean and securely fastened. Countless times someone is battling starting problems, and the battery seems dead, only to find out that a thorough battery terminal cleaning and secure battery cable connections resolved the problem.

Slightly hard starting is a symptom of a battery that has been drained some. Pressing the accelerator pedal will be necessary when you start the engine, as you appear to describe.

Last edited by Elle_Rav4; 03-23-2019 at 03:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elle_Rav4 For This Useful Post:
beelieyvang (03-23-2019)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-23-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
First of all thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I don't have a multimeter but will go get one asap and try following the link. It happened all of a sudden and I wasn't sure what was going on. I got a new battery and have left it disconnected because whenever I connect the battery, even without the key, the lights in the dashboard, wiper and everything else is powered. I'm not that savvy when it comes to car so I really appreciate any help.
The Following User Says Thank You to beelieyvang For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (03-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-23-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much for your help but I've solved the problem after talking to my cousin. Apparently it was my auto page auto start that was causing the problem. I took out the fuse from the battery to the auto page box and there is no longer power going to the car when it is shut off and so I decided to take the whole auto page box out which solve the problem. The car starts and shuts off like normal now. Again thanks for your help.
BamZipPow likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to beelieyvang For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (03-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum > RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005)