Alternator issue with battery light stays on - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation RAV4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 05-04-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Alternator issue with battery light stays on

I have a 2010 Toyota Rav4 with over 120,000 Km done.

About a week ago I heard some whining sound from my engine, and three days ago the battery light stays on, my current battery is about 13 months old, so went to the nearby workshop, the Mechanic checked the battery and told me that the battery is fine, and asked me to go to an Auto Electrician to check the Alternator.

The Electic Machanic found out the fault in the alternator itself, and he replaced it with a used working alternator, then the better charging started to work fine, but still the battery light stays on. Then the Machanic tried all possible ways and count not solve it.

Finally, he put a cable between the Alternator's generator connector and to a bolt of the Alternator, I believe it is a grounding cable to stop the battery light stays on. I believe this is not the solution, but he did a workaround to stop the battery light stays on.

Today, in order to check, I pulled out the Alternator's generator connector to see if the battery light come on, but it is not. Meaning with this workaround that he did next time if the alternator is fault the battery light come on, which worries me.

What do you all suggest to permanently solve this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	239702  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-04-2019, 05:11 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
A bad ground can cause the battery warning light to come on. If your Rav4 had (has) a bad ground, and this caused the battery light to come on, then replacing the alternator may not have been necessary. In other words, your mechanic may have replaced the alternator, only to find the battery light remained on. Then he added the extra ground wire, which fixed the bad ground (at least for now).

To make sure the battery light comes on when it is supposed to, disconnect // all // wires (not just the one) from the alternator. Start the engine, but only long enough to check the instrument panel's battery light. Does the battery light come on? Also if one turns the ignition key to the "on" position (but engine stays off), I think the battery light should come on, as a test. Does it?

The net has discussion about a bad ground causing the battery light to come on. E.g. see https://cartreatments.com/causes-of-...while-driving/ and https://www.thoughtco.com/battery-li...shboard-281585

Last edited by Elle_Rav4; 05-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum > RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005)