Transmission Trouble - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation RAV4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
BlackRav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Transmission Trouble

Hey guys,
I drive a '01 Rav4 and I have owned it for almost 2 years. I have never had any major trouble till now. At my last oil change I was told that I needed a Transmission flush, but opted against it cuz I was told by a friend not to. I will have to admit I dont know much about cars, but now im having trouble. When I turn my car on, it idles high until I shift from park. Then as I get going it seems as though it almost slips and doesnt go into second gear, and now that I think back, it has always taken a minute to shift. Then when it gets into gear it kind of jerks a little and feels rough. Im worried that Im going to need a rebuild, but hoping that a flush will do it? Any advise will be taken seriously, Does anyone have any?

Thanks,
CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-05-2008, 01:35 PM
just a nobody

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Have you check the fluid level? What color is the fluid?

N.E.O.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BlackRav

(Thread Starter)
The fluid is a mauve color, which i was told is the color it is supposed to be. I have been looking at the internet all day and have seen a lot of cars the same year as mine having trouble with the ECM/TCM. But it I cant find it on a recall list. But I saw on one site there was one back in 06. My engine light has not come on yet so I cant check to see if a solenoid is out? Also the fluid doesnt smell like it is burnt. Today when I was driving it, it only jerked a couple of time taking off from a stop. So I dont know if I should continue driving it until my engine light comes on, or if i should take it to get looked at so they can replace it and charge me when that might not be whats wrong.

CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-05-2008, 07:23 PM
just a nobody

Supreme Member
You may want to take it in and have it verify if the transmission is working correctly or not. There may be other causes with the same symptoms, for example the jerking you had described could be an engine problem. Not all problem will cause a CEL, and sometimes if the ECM don't see a repeat of the symptoms, it may store a pendent code but no CEL until it sees a second occurrence.

BTW, how many miles does the car have?

N.E.O.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
BlackRav

(Thread Starter)
Almost 109,000
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 AM
just a nobody

Supreme Member
At 109,000 mile, that would be out of the warranty period if there is any update for the ECM, but it won't hurt checking with a dealer explain to them the condition that you are having. They ma have some suggestion on what you can do.

N.E.O.

Last edited by new echo owner; 10-10-2008 at 07:07 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 AM
New TN User

I have the same problem but I don't think you are going to like my answer.

I have an '02 auto, 144K miles and without warning the car would slip out of second to first gear. Took it to the dealer and they told me the ECU is fried and it may or may not have toasted the transmission. (Dealer said he won't know until they put a new one in at $1400). As for the transmission it may be something as simple as a solenoid but the dealer won't tear it apart - only replace the entire tranny. That would be another $4000.

There was a TCB (TC002-06) put out in March '06 about this problem. If you have less than 96,000 miles on your vehicle Toyota will replace the ECU for free but not the transmission. We've been doing a lot of research on this and there may be a class action suit against Toyota because they never issued a recall and its a safety issue with the transmission.

The car is currently sitting in the dealer's lot while I try to find a used/rebuild ECM - lowest price I've found so far is $300.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
BlackRav

(Thread Starter)
Well here is what i have found. I took it into a transmission guy that drove it around all day and then hooked it up to the scan. he said he couldnt find anything wrong with the transmission or the engine. but did say that it felt like i was hauling a house. I then took it somewhere else to maybe see if the fuel pump or carbarator was clogged. the guy drove it and then told me that i had my floor mat shoved underneath my pedal. Well it seemed like the problem was fixed for a day, but now it is acting up again. i removed the floor mat so i know it is not that this time, but i am getting a third opinion tomorrow.

CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum > RAV4 2nd Generation (2001-2005)