Nissan Rogue vs Toyota RAV 4, 2015 model - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 4th Generation (2013-2018) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 4th generation RAV4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Nissan Rogue vs Toyota RAV 4, 2015 model

Which one is better and why? I've heard the 2015 nissan rogue has a bad reliability track record due to the CVT, is that true? Any information on the maitenance on both vehicles?
Is the rav4 the superior car, if so, why? Anybody have any experience with both cars care to tell me about the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The Rogue had many CVT failures in its earlier model years so Nissan extended the warranty from 5 years to 10 years for their transmissions. (03-10 models). CVT transmission are super super expensive which is around $5000 and can not be rebuilt and must be replaced with a new one. My wife bought a 2011 Rogue and I asked her to sell it and she traded it for a 09 Subaru Outback 2.5 Ltd when I read about the transmission problems. The Outback had CVT as of 2010 so it had to be a model before that year even though Subaru CVT are more reliable.

As for which car is superior it would have to be a RAV4 and plus people are willing to pay more after you sell it. Though the RAV4 is not perfect it does not have many major headaches overall plus it does not have a CVT transmission.

Last edited by dl175; 12-06-2014 at 02:48 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-07-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anybody here actually experience a bad CVT? I know, I've read all over the place about nissan CVTs going bad, but is it every one or nearly every one or is it just a tiny portion of it? Will they extend the extended warranty to later models (after 2010)? Anybody have experience with an actual bad CVT? I know honestly NIssan was a bad choice. I tried to persuade them with a "no" but they didn't listen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer20 View Post
Anybody here actually experience a bad CVT? I know, I've read all over the place about nissan CVTs going bad, but is it every one or nearly every one or is it just a tiny portion of it? Will they extend the extended warranty to later models (after 2010)? Anybody have experience with an actual bad CVT? I know honestly NIssan was a bad choice. I tried to persuade them with a "no" but they didn't listen.
Nissan will not extend the warranty after 2010. As for the failure rate it is not like every second one built will develop a CVT problem. Besides you will only get that problem until certain conditions exist: higher mileage over 60,000 km, towing, mountain driving, excessive high temperature and the luck of the draw. No one really know exactly how many fail but the number seem much less than before 2010. If you are worried about a CVT failure and can't afford to fork over $5000 to replace it then trade your vehicle because you will be happier.

Last edited by dl175; 12-08-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum > RAV4 4th Generation (2013-2018)