2006 XB starting problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Scion xB Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Scion xB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2006 XB starting problem

trouble with starting 06 scion
HI all.. I'm Dan. Hopefully someone can help me here, as to what the problem may be. My 06 scion is not starting on the first try. I have to shut it off, and then try starting it again, and THEN it will start......... any ideas ?
THANKS IN ADVANCE ! I can hopefully buy the part and fix it myself, rather than paying a garage or the dealer.

Last edited by HATEnFATE; 07-23-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Safe under my blankie..

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Hey Dan,

When you say you have to shut it off, are you saying it will run but not stay running or it just doesn't do anything? Does it turn over or does it click?

Let me know and we'll get some answers for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ONCE-LER
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not."
post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
reply to Jason..from Dan

HI there Jason..and THANKS for the quick reply....ok, when I try the first time, it doesn't do anything, doesn't turn over,...so when it is shut off, and restarted, then it catches. Also, it has 70,000 miles, and spark plugs and air filter have just been replaced. PVC valve just replaced too.Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Safe under my blankie..

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I'd start by checking your electrical connections. Do you have any corrosion on the battery terminals?

After that I'd check the battery and the starter. I wouldn't think the battery would be bad since it's not really sounding like it but you never know. the starter could be getting a little tired.
You could check your relays but I'm not sure what the proper procedure would be for that.

Do you have a remote starter or an alarm system on your car other then a Toyota one?

Quote:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not."
post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2015, 01:56 PM
New TN User

2006 XB starting problem

Hi Dan,

I too have started having that issue, especially when the engine is cold. Turn the key, it cranks but does not turn over. Turn the key off, wait a few seconds, the try it again and it fires right up................................but after a while of this........................it barely starts then stutters until it smoothes itself out. A real mind boggler, this one is. Still waiting for someone who has solved the issue and not just suggesting different things.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Safe under my blankie..

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Hi Dan,

Since this isn't a common issue, and there's no way for me to get to your car, suggesting things is all we can do here unless we have a known issue with a sure fix.

No two cars are the same. Oil changes at different intervals and maintenance done at different times and in different ways.

How many miles are on your car? where approx do you live? what environment is the car in? when did you change your plugs last? have you ever cleaned the throttle body? any check engine lights?

Even with all that info, all we can do is to help you diagnose the issue and help steer you in the right direction.

i hope we can help, but an exact answer on this issue is not something we can provide as it's more a ghost in the machine then "oh yeah, such and such is bad."

Quote:
post #7 of 13 Old 07-17-2015, 08:45 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATEnFATE View Post
Hi Dan,

Since this isn't a common issue, and there's no way for me to get to your car, suggesting things is all we can do here unless we have a known issue with a sure fix.

No two cars are the same. Oil changes at different intervals and maintenance done at different times and in different ways.

How many miles are on your car? where approx do you live? what environment is the car in? when did you change your plugs last? have you ever cleaned the throttle body? any check engine lights?

Even with all that info, all we can do is to help you diagnose the issue and help steer you in the right direction.

i hope we can help, but an exact answer on this issue is not something we can provide as it's more a ghost in the machine then "oh yeah, such and such is bad."
Based on a response from another post where Toyota told the guy he had the wrong spark plugs installed, I opted to replace my old NGK coppers, gapped at .060 (as directed by some parts counter boob). I installed new NGK's pre-gapped at .044 (the correct gap). The damn thing runs like new with no hesitation on startup. Before, I would turn the key, the car would crank but not start. I would turn the key to the on position, wait 10 seconds and it would miraculously start on the second attempt. I got tired of this routine as the problem started to escalate with running rough at first until it smoothed itself out. Do you think that the throttle position sensor may have played a part in this as well? I replaced the mass flow sensor a year ago so I did not think this was be the cause. However, I started it up this morning with no stumble or hesitation yet. Old plugs 1-4 were really gapped to large. After 30k miles they looked pretty rough and worn too. Dry, no oil residue but worn electrodes.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-17-2015, 08:49 AM
New TN User

Yes, It had the throttle body Bardhal mist flush where the tail pipe smokes and coughs it's way through it. The fuel pump and filter were replaced a year ago. So, far we will see if the smooth starting and running lasts with these new NGK Iridium plugs.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Safe under my blankie..

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I'm glad it was a simple fix....Sounds like the old plugs were just worn with a terribly wide gap....

Quote:
post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2015, 12:07 PM
New TN User

Who would have guessed they would give me that much crap and inconvenience. Thanks for your input and advice. Take care.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2015, 12:21 PM
New TN User

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! I spoke to soon!!!!!!!!!!!! I just went out there to move it over in the driveway and it did the same thing! Didn't start on the first key turn, then started on the second, sputtered, then smoothed out. No code was thrown. It's got to be a sensor, but which one? you would think I would get a code. All ignition modules are new. What the heck?? Usually no codes with fuel issues.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Safe under my blankie..

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Hmm........

The Toyota RM says......

"Engine cranks normally but difficult to start"

1. Starter signal circuit

2. IAC valve circuit

3. Fuel pump control circuit

4. Injector

5. Ignition coil

6. Spark plug

Quote:
post #13 of 13 Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
New TN User

Do you hear a "click" like the starter solenoid is kicking in, but no start. If you keep doing this, some times it starts? That sounds like your starter solenoid had burned the contacts so they can't make contact across the 2 contacts. Most places want to replace the starter, but it looks like the solenoid is easily replaced. Rock Auto has the solenoid for about $35.

I've had this happen on several cars.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > Scion Forum > Scion xB Forum > Scion xB Lounge