Loud Ticking 03 Tundra - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Loud Ticking 03 Tundra

A little history. I put on headers a couple months ago so I know it's not an exhaust leak, it at least it should not be. It also sounds different than when I had the stock exhaust manifold on that was cracked. I recently had my radiator replaced and my transmission flushed 3 times because of the transmission cooler leaking into the radiator contaminating my transmission. The transmission shifts great for now, hoping it stays that way but doubt it. Since I got it back it's ticking, even when it's warmed up. It's loud, you can easily hear it inside the cab when giving it gas. It's been very cold where I live, -1 this morning. You can hear it when first started and goes away about a couple minutes of idling but you can always hear it when you give it gas. I checked the oil, looks find but might be a little overfilled, could that be it? I also put 91 octane gas in it not knowing I should feed her the 89 or 87.

I've heard these engines like to tick, specially in cold weather but it did not do this before I had the radiator replaced. When I pass a wall, it's super loud.

Does this sound like engine slap or valve lifting? Something I should be concerned about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-01-2017, 11:58 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sure sounds like an exhaust leak. I know you said it's not, but it sure acts like it, especially just after the change of hardware? The radiator exchange shouldn't have anything to do with a noisy lifter. Were the exhaust donuts replaced with new ones? Is the ticking verified to be coming from the lifter area? Many questions indeed here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 1st Generation (20002006)