2005 Tundra - frame rot - any advice? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-01-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2005 Tundra - frame rot - any advice?

My new-to-me 2005 tundra has frame rot I didn't discover in my pre-buy. Thats on me. But I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with these frame replacements. I googled everything I can find about it but cant seem to definitively find if the 2005 was covered.

Questions:
- What part(s) of the frame have to show perforation to qualify? Mine has definite perforation near the cat converters in the front, on the bottom of the frame. It also has some on the rear near the spare tire carrier (and the spare tire carrier itself). I havent been able to fully inspect the rest, but the sides of the frame rear of the cab are in decent shape.

- The prior owner said it had "been treated by toyota" in 2014. Does this screw me for the frame replacement?

- I talked to a welder (teaches welding at the local tech college) who said he'd be able to fix up the front part of the frame for me if it can't/wont be replaced. Then after winter I'd pull the box off and clean up/fix anything I can get at and paint it all with rustbullet or POR15.

I also found a very similar truck, that has had the frame replaced, for the same price I just paid. Maybe I can sell this one and swap to the other one. But I wanted to try for the new frame on this one first.

Any recommendation on dealer to go to in upstate/central NY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-02-2018, 06:44 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bring it to Toyota and see what they say. My son just had his 03 done last December.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Agree with Tom: Only a Toyota dealer can assess your truck's frame and determine what the next steps may be--if there are any next steps. IIRC, only those trucks from the "rust belt" qualify for a frame replacement, but again, only a Toyota dealer can confirm this.

BTW- It's not only the rust you can see, it's the rust you can't see that may cause a catastrophic failure.

2019 Tundra Platinum with Rock Warrior wheels
2015 Lexus RX350 SUV
1983 Toyota 4x4 Hilux Pickup

Our back yard, near Whitewater, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 1st Generation (20002006)