Looking to buy my Stepfather's 2002 Tundra - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Old 12-23-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Update -

Told Mom about the loan application and just like everyone else, she just didn't understand why the bank didn't just do a personal loan with the Tundra as collateral. She knows what the Tundra is worth and felt the bank was being stupid and short sighted. She got a-little mad and just pulled out the title and then signed it over to me. She knows I won't cheat her and the money will be coming... soooo, I won't be able to put this off a month or two as planned. I'll need to get the money to her first before working on the truck; that's only being fair to her. This of course, doesn't get the truck on the road any sooner but it will make getting the TT&L easier for me. This is all kinda backwards to the way I had planned... get a loan for the Tundra, get the work done to pull her back on the road, the sell my Ram, and then get the paperwork for the Tundra in my name. Oh well, the best plans seem to always change.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 12-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Using a vehicle as collateral makes it an auto loan. Banks will do "secured" loans only on vehicles and land type property.

I'm not even sure you would be able to finance that through a "title loan store" given the age. My friend manages one, and they write loans for older cars all the time, but they have collector value... we're talking '65 Corvette and '69 Camaro/Mustang/Roadrunner in show-quality condition. The difference is, I believe the "title loan" stores operate under pawn shop banking regulations, or a modification of them. I know on some, but not all, he takes physical possession of the vehicle until the loan is paid off.

-- Rich

post #18 of 26 Old 12-23-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
Using a vehicle as collateral makes it an auto loan. Banks will do "secured" loans only on vehicles and land type property.

I'm not even sure you would be able to finance that through a "title loan store" given the age. My friend manages one, and they write loans for older cars all the time, but they have collector value... we're talking '65 Corvette and '69 Camaro/Mustang/Roadrunner in show-quality condition. The difference is, I believe the "title loan" stores operate under pawn shop banking regulations, or a modification of them. I know on some, but not all, he takes physical possession of the vehicle until the loan is paid off.
Okay... I still feel it's shortsighted.

I'll just take my money to the NavyArmy CCU and be done with it. If I like them, it may be a good time to get away from the 'Bank' and go back to a real 'Credit Union'. I really loved the Fort Bliss CU but after moving more than 800-miles, I had to find something local. The bank I'm at now is just down the block so I thought it would be a good choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 Old 12-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Other than my wife's Rav4 (0.9%), which went through Toyota Financial, every vehicle I have ever financed has been through one of 3 credit unions that I have been a member of.
CUs are different from banks in that the members are the "shareholders"... they actually used to refer to savings accounts as "share accounts", so they are not paying dividends to stockholders, instead, they pay better interest rates on deposit accounts.
"Banks" answer to stockholders, same as any corporation, and have no vested interest in their depositors.

I still run my checking through a bank, simply because the ATM network and online billpay is more convenient, but my primary savings is in the CU and my auto loans are on auto-pay.

-- Rich

post #20 of 26 Old 12-23-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I do like the fact that the bank's ATM is just around the corner but don't really like dual account idea. With the bank's ATM being so close, I can deposit cash and check anytime day or night. I'll do some research about the ATMs for the CU and where they're located.
post #21 of 26 Old 12-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
They are likely on a network so withdrawals and debit purchases aren't an issue. Not sure how deposits would work, I transfer from my regular bank checking into the CU savings.

I don't have a separate ATM card for my CU account... just an MC, that I pay off every month (and they don't have a higher interest rate for cash-out if I do carry the balance for an emergency purchase), but the MC does have a PIN for cash withdrawals at an ATM.

I just rely primarily on the checking/debit/ATM for day to day things and use the CU for savings and auto loans.

-- Rich

post #22 of 26 Old 12-23-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Checked the website for the local CU and there's a branch near by and an ATM that's pretty close... not as close as the bank but if I'm as happy with this CU as my last one, it'll be a small price pay for happiness. As I said, the title for the Tundra is already in hand so it's all downhill from here... I think. The only way this doesn't have a happy ending is if I find something just as costly as the timing belt or worse.

Saw a guy on the FB cut a crystal clear ice cube into a gem the was as pretty as a diamond... until it melted.

Just saying....
post #23 of 26 Old 01-01-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
New and big damn wrinkle... the envelope with the paperwork that had everything in it. Well... it didn't have the title. Yesterday, I started going though all the file cabinets and believe it's in the fire safe. The wrinkle... my Stepfather trash the the paper with the combination and because of his Alzheimer's, he has a clue what we're even talking about. I have one more place to look for the backup paper with the numbers but if it's not there, I'll have get a Locksmith.

Fun way to end and start the New Year.

post #24 of 26 Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Locksmith can pop that safe easily depending on the brand.
Look up the Youtube channels for Lockpickinglawyer and Bosnianbill
Big box store safes like Sentry are easy to open.

-- Rich

post #25 of 26 Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
Locksmith can pop that safe easily depending on the brand.
Look up the Youtube channels for Lockpickinglawyer and Bosnianbill
Big box store safes like Sentry are easy to open.
Yes, it's an old Sentry Fire Safe and I've order a stethoscope to try and get into it. No model or serial number anywhere on the front or sides and it's not like to POS things you see online! This thing is heavy as he!!. Hoping that ordering the stethoscope wasn't a waste of money because this thing is so old, the whole tumbler sounds like a dryer full of marbles. Guess it'll be my short term hobby... like I don't have anything better to do, right?
post #26 of 26 Old 01-18-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Okay, I'll bring this one back life.... I know it's the middle of January but like I said, the trucks not going anywhere and it's inside the garage. I did get a battery tender that even has the option of reconditioning the battery. The battery has gone completely dead two or three time so there's no way I'll ever trust it. It'll just have to be a stopgap until the truck can be taken to the dealership to have all the past maintenance taken care of first and then I'll replace the battery with Odyssey Extreme.

Got the stethoscope in hand and got myself down on the floor to start trying to open it. Finding the places where it 'clicked' was really nightmare. The tumblers are making all kinds of noise and which is the one that's when the arm drops is near impossible to differentiate in-between to two sounds. Put a handful of marbles in the dryer and pick the sound of just one of the marbles! The website had a detail list of 'how to' but even they say it could take pro hours with a 'problem child' like this old thing. If the safe was to be trashed, I could just cut the pins from the hinges and be done with it but that's not an options at this point. While in the middle of all this, I was told that there was yet another fire safe! This is much newer and the key is on my Stepfather's old key-ring. Sure enough, in the back was a folder marked 2002 Toyota ! It had paperwork going back to the day he got the truck from a dealership in New Mexico including the window decal. In the middle of all of this was the letter from the bank showing the loan was paid in full and that they would send the title in another mailing. I went though every single page and nothing... again. At this point, we have no clue what he has done with the title or where he could have put it. He may have put it in the older fire safe but I have to get the okay to take it apart. I 'might' be able to put the hinge pins back in but I'm thinking it would be better to put all of 'whatever' it is in my gun safe that's in climatic controlled storage unit. No one but me knows where the unit is, the gate code, the code to get in the building, which unit is mine, the key to open the unit's door, and the combination to open safe... pretty sure it's in a secure place. We're having problems with his care and getting the help we need, so this being set-aside for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 1st Generation (20002006)