Looking to buy my Stepfather's 2002 Tundra - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 12-17-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Looking to buy my Stepfather's 2002 Tundra

It's a 2WD Tundra SR5 with TRD Offroad Package, VIN number 1G4CW53L2N1###### with almost 105K. It belonged to my Stepfather and about two and half years ago, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Really sad how the disease has hit him like a California wildfire. Today, he has gotten to the point where he gets lost in a home where he's lived for more than twenty years. Of coarse from the start, the doctors said he couldn't drive but no one tells Stephen what he can and cannot do! He keep driving until the day he pulled right out in front of an ambulance running at speed with all the lights and sirens blasting. In the passenger seat, I have no clue how that vehicle didn't hit his truck right at the driver's door. He has never driven again. I was driving his truck on the weekends and doing the gas, oil, detailing, as well as, the insurance then a-little more than two years ago, he went ballistic on me for driving his truck.... okay, fine. The truck has sat in the garage since then aside from a few times where I drove it at night to put gas in it and just drive it some. I'm going to sell my 2002 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 and use that money to buy the Toyota. I have been told Stephen keep up all the maintenance as per the schedule but there's no paperwork to prove it. He did put new tires on the tire before he stopped driving it. All that said...

After you bought the Tundra, what would you do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Verify that the timing belt has been changed. It's a 90,000 mile maintenance item, and the engine is an interference engine, so it it fails, you have a nice 4.7l boat anchor.
Should be around $600-$800 to do the belt and water pump.
There was also a recall on the lower ball joint, front brakes, and I think the 2002 may have been included in the rear taillight socket recall.
Input the VIN into the Toyota Owner's web site and that will tell if the recalls have been done... MIGHT tell if the timing belt was done if he had it serviced at the dealer.

-- Rich

post #3 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
Verify that the timing belt has been changed. It's a 90,000 mile maintenance item, and the engine is an interference engine, so it it fails, you have a nice 4.7l boat anchor.
Should be around $600-$800 to do the belt and water pump.
There was also a recall on the lower ball joint, front brakes, and I think the 2002 may have been included in the rear taillight socket recall.
Input the VIN into the Toyota Owner's web site and that will tell if the recalls have been done... MIGHT tell if the timing belt was done if he had it serviced at the dealer.
After I posted, I thought about taking the truck to the dealership for an oil/lube and have them do the state inspection. That was the last thing I did two something years ago just before Stephen got mad it got parked.

After seeing the mileage, the timing chain was the first thing I thought about for maintenance. Did some looking around for parts and it's like you said... it's not cheap! I'm also one that's hates to remove old parts and then put those same parts right back on the vehicle. It just doesn't make sense to pay for the labor twice. You know, fix it right the first time.

I truly hope the lower ball joints are not a constant problem for the Toyota because that one of reason I'm getting rid of my Dodge Ram. On the Ram the joint is pressed into an aluminum A-arm and cannot be replaced without replacing the whole assembly. For a 4x4, it's a costly job and one that was done two years ago by the dealership. Long story short, they did a longblock, the whole front end, replaced the whole brake system, and all the fluids plus some more stuff. Last month the dealership did the oil/lube and state inspection for the Ram and said one of the ball joints is bad as well as the front brakes. In the last two years, I have only put 5400-miles on the Ram and it needs a ball joint and brakes?!?!? Nope, not going to happen. So please tell me the front ball joints on the Toyota are not a problem as well.

When he was still driving the truck, he keep saying something was wrong with front-end and/or steering but I haven't heard or felt anything. There is a very small leak somewhere on the truck but, again, I haven't been able to touch it. It runs while setting in the garage and I drive it once in a Blue Moon to fill the tank and around the block in middle of night. The way the maintenance and checks are sounding, the Toyota could cost me about the same as repairs on my Ram. With the Toyota having the TRD Package on it, I should be able to do all of this and not be upside-down with truck. I'll still need to decide how to cover the cost of everything but it's still doable... so long as I don't get any new surprises.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
The ball joint issue was related to an improper procedure followed during installation that resulted in damage on the Tundra/Sequoia/Tacoma/4-Runner. It is not a recurring problem, so if the recall was done, it should be good.

-- Rich

post #5 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The ball joint issue was related to an improper procedure followed during installation that resulted in damage on the Tundra/Sequoia/Tacoma/4-Runner. It is not a recurring problem, so if the recall was done, it should be good.
That's great news!

Checked the Toyota.com website for recalls as well as the airbag link. The airbag link started with 2003 model year and the recall link did not show anything. I will still double check both issues with the dealer during the checkup. I'm also not sure who I can trust with the timing chain job aside from the "Stealership". Since I have no clue how old the belts, hoses, antifreeze, and everything else is on the truck, I may try to do some of work myself if my back, hip, and left leg will let me.
post #6 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
There are a number of option that I have on the Ram that are not on the Toyota. Again, I'll try to do as much of the work as I can. The Ram has a nice factory Radio head unit with GPS and a SAT plug and the system has a small amp. There's a cable for my Ipod in the SAT port because that little thing can play for four days more straight without playing the same song twice and they're my songs. The Ram also has two in 3-1/2 and one 2-1/2 in the dash speakers, a single 6x9 three way speaker in the front doors, a single 6-1/2 inch dual cone in the back doors, and I added 10 bass under the center console. The Toyota really poor on the sound department... all I see are what looks like single 5-1/2 or 6-inch single speakers in each door and large fugly AM/FM radio. I can live with the Garmin nuvi GPS if need be but the tunes need to far better than what this POS head is putting out.

The Ram had a POS factory limited slip (LSD) in the rear axle. The assembly clips holding the clutches broke on mine in the first year and wasted the rear-end but it was all covered under the warranty. Didn't trust the factory stuff after that so I replaced the it with a ring-and-pinon from Yukon Gears and a Detroit Truetrac Locker and all new bearing since they weren't replaced. The Ram came with a 2WD 3.55 ratio. Pushing that big pig around with that ratio is nuts so it was changed to 4.56 R&P. My city mpg doubled and I'm still able to get 18 to 20 on the highway. Not sure what's in the Tundra... ratio or if it even has a factory LSD.

I also did a few small items under the hood to help the fuel numbers because the Ram is pig when it comes to fuel as well. Replaced the 'noise cancelling box' or "Hat" on the intake with a straight tube and then added a bigger throttle body. Do not believe that's an option on the Toyota because the Ram has MAP Sensor and the Toyota has a MASS Flow. The 2002 model Ram also had the four speed transmission but the same model year Jeep Grand Cherokee came with the five. Both have the same engine and transmission, so after double checking the on each, I replaced the TCM with the Jeep TCM and bingo, the Ram has a five speed. An extra set of Hella driving lights but the back roads get pretty damn dark but there's no room on Tundra.... have figure something else.

post #7 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by damcelhannon View Post
That's great news!

Checked the Toyota.com website for recalls as well as the airbag link. The airbag link started with 2003 model year and the recall link did not show anything. I will still double check both issues with the dealer during the checkup. I'm also not sure who I can trust with the timing chain job aside from the "Stealership". Since I have no clue how old the belts, hoses, antifreeze, and everything else is on the truck, I may try to do some of work myself if my back, hip, and left leg will let me.
BTW: It is a timing belt... refer to it as a chain and they're going to charge you $200 more

-- Rich

post #8 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
BTW: It is a timing belt... refer to it as a chain and they're going to charge you $200 more
Your right about the belt and that makes this job even more important! Not sure why my Google search said chains. The "Stealership" is bad enough cost wise and it looks like that may be my best choice for all of this work. The shop I normally go to... well, believe they could do it but this is not a "We'll get it second time" kinda of thing. I'm thinking now the only driving should be done straight to shop and just get everything done at once. I just do not want to end up upside-down here.

Went to look inside the cab a-little closer and I lied to you all, sorry. The factory head unit is not a 'plain jane' POS radio.... it has CD and cassette deck. Somewhat nicer but I'd like an upgrade where my iPod can be plugged in for those long trips and a GPS would be touch. It's a double-din radio so finding something shouldn't be too hard unless it's like the radio in out 92 Buick PA. The size of the opening was really large but only inches deep to a support beam. Installed one of the retro units which has been a pretty sweet radio.

Have a really busy day tomorrow but I'd like to stop by the bank and test the waters so to speak. Believe the key to all of this will be what I can get for the Ram. We'll see....

post #9 of 26 Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 AM
STXHunter

If you get the timing belt changed out while you are in there have them change out the water pump as well.
That way you kill two birds with one stone.
If you pay to have all that work done replacing the belt, it would be a shame to have to do it all over again should the water pump go out.
When I bought my 2004 that was the first thing I did was get both the timing belt and water pump replaced because both were long over due.
post #10 of 26 Old 12-20-2018, 03:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_47 View Post
If you get the timing belt changed out while you are in there have them change out the water pump as well.
If you pay to have all that work done replacing the belt, it would be a shame to have to do it all over again should the water pump go out.
When I bought my 2004 that was the first thing I did was get both the timing belt and water pump replaced because both were long over due.
Bingo.
The timing belt needs to be replaced at 90k.
It's a $600 gamble whether the water pump will last to 180k... better to spend the extra $100 and do it with the belt.

-- Rich

post #11 of 26 Old 12-20-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_47 View Post
Quote:
Bingo.
The timing belt needs to be replaced at 90k.
It's a $600 gamble whether the water pump will last to 180k... better to spend the extra $100 and do it with the belt.
Looking at one kit that had everything... timing belt, water pump, a new belt, hoses, hydraulic belt tensioner, idler pulley, a thermostat, new coolant, crankshaft and cams seals, and with all the gaskets and hardware needed. The kit is about $380 bucks but it does have everything that would be needed. I'm still trying to find a shop that's not the dealership. We'll see...

I did go by the bank about the loan; one of the branches is near the groomers where I take the Furbabies. Need to get a copy of the title and my income statement to them then we can work out the details. With Christmas in less than a week and my sister and her husband coming in as well, the rest of the paperwork may have to wait. January 2nd cannot get here too soon in my option!

post #12 of 26 Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
That sounds like a decent deal if those are genuine Toyota parts.
I think my total was around $400 (in 2005) including coolant.

-- Rich

post #13 of 26 Old 12-21-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Heard from the bank first thing this morning... they have a rule of no loans on any vehicle that is more than five years ago. She said I should try one of the credit unions here in town. I'm waiting until the first of the year.... folks are nuts out there!

post #14 of 26 Old 12-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
A 2002 will likely be a problem even then.
My credit union will only go to 9 years, and the interest rate on a 48 month loan jumps from 2.64% to 4.25% on a 6 year old car.
How much do you need to borrow? Maybe you can get a signature loan?

Insane residual value... I ran it through KBB based on the Limited with the TRD package and it's showing worth $6-9k!

-- Rich

post #15 of 26 Old 12-22-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
A 2002 will likely be a problem even then.
My credit union will only go to 9 years, and the interest rate on a 48 month loan jumps from 2.64% to 4.25% on a 6 year old car.
How much do you need to borrow? Maybe you can get a signature loan?

Insane residual value... I ran it through KBB based on the Limited with the TRD package and it's showing worth $6-9k!
Yep, that's why I thought me asking for $4500 would be a sure bet. The truck is the SR5 with the TRD Offroad package and it's 'person to person' value runs in the $5800 to $8700 bucks. KBB Dealer listing runs for $6200 to $9200 bucks. KBB had a dealer listing for 2004 Limited with 228K pn it listed for $12K !!!

Looked around the internet for credit union that's someplace close to the house and found the NavyArmy CCU but I want to be careful here in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV). The RGV is right on the Mexican border and drug money flows right though the area. The NavyArmy CCU started in Corpus Christi back in 1955 and has been a strong and growing credit union. For Texas, Corpus isn't too far away at only 150 miles and they have a branch down here which is pretty cool. My bank in El Paso was the old Fort Bliss CU before they were bought out. That's where I had my loan for Ram. I'll give them a chat after the holidays. After all, the Tundra has sat there for the last two years, it can wait a few more months if need be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 1st Generation (20002006)