hybrid conversion - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-24-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
hybrid conversion

I am looking to convert a 1st generation Tundra into a hybrid. I am thinking of taking the engine/hybrid set up from a second generation Highlander in either 3.3 L 3MZ-FE V6 (hybrid) or 3.5 L 2GR-FXE V6 (hybrid). From the little that I know the weight of the vehicles is similar so at least it would be compatible in that way, yet I haven't even done a regular engine swap, let along a conversion like this. I have been able to find no information about doing something like this. Yet from what I gather, the Highlander engines have the Synergy Drive which I don't even know if it is actually a part of the engine or an add on (which I might be able to just add to a Tundra V6?) What would it take and how would I go about doing it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2019, 10:16 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Thanked 3,680 Times in 2,910 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure if the crowd here would have any insight or expertise on the conversion. You'd have to have an intimate knowledge of the hybrid platform that yer working from before designing the conversion process. I would guess it's not going to be easy as one might think. But if yer set on the conversion, let no one stop you in yer tracks! Just plan as much as you can ahead of time and make sure you know at what price point it becomes too expensive to continue...unless you have an unlimited budget to work from.

I know that GM has a hybrid truck system available as well as the Ram truck. It might give you some inspiration to see how they implement that system vs the system you are converting over from the Highlander.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ybrid-pickups/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-pickup-drive

Synergy drive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
First off, why would you want to ruin a perfectly good truck. and secondly, how much money do you want to spend doing this? Anything can be done but, this would cost thousands, maybe tens of thousands and would far, far offset any money you may save on fuel. It is not impossible but, may as well be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
If you got the money, resources, skills, manpower, contacts and willingness to do it, do it because it would interesting. If you got none of that, don't waste your time and either drive the Tundra normally or get a hybrid vehicle. But given that you have not even done a "simple" engine swap yet, don't waste your time unless you hire a "speedshop" to do it for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 1st Generation (20002006)