06 Tundra rusted frame- help?! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 1st Generation (2000–2006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vangm25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 06 Tundra rusted frame- help?!

We purchased a used 06 Toyota Tundra in the spring of 2016. It seemed to have minor surface rust on the frame (nothing to serious), but Toyota is a great company and their vehicles run forever, right? Or so we thought. After the purchase of the truck we removed as much surface rust as possible and coated the frame. We brought our Tundra into the dealership in Feb. 2017 for an airbag recall that was fixed and spoke to an employee about additional rust which had developed on the frame since we purchased it. He told us to keep an eye out for a possible recall of the entire frame (as these frames are defective, his words-not mine) and ran a “test” on our frame. He said it passed so there was nothing to do at the moment, just keep an eye on it. Fast forward to December 2018, we take our truck into a mechanic for a brake line replacement. He told us it did not look safe to drive and I was definitely not putting my children in it after seeing the rusted holes in the frame. We started to research the Toyota frame recalls and saw that in 2017 there was a class action law suit that covered 07-08 Tundras, 05-10 Tacomas, and 05-08 Sequoias (http://www.toyotaframesettlement.com/). There was also a previous class action suit which covered early model Tundras as well. We took it to the dealership the next day so they could evaluate the issue. They told us the truck actually FAILED the test in Feb. 2017 and that it was too late to justify the issue. They also called it a “grey area” (their words) and acknowledged they have replaced the frames on 05-06 Tundras before on a case by case basis. So, they lied to us the year before at the dealership? We called corporate and asked if there was anything they could do about it and they said they were not responsible and told us “you’ll have to do what we have to do”. What does that even mean? I really thought that Toyota would do the right thing, but instead they marked the vehicle “undriveable” in their system so to keep themselves legally protected in case the vehicle was in an accident due to frame failure (keep in mind I would never drive the vehicle in this condition as to put my or anyone else’s safety in jeopardy). We are still hoping Toyota will do what is right but would caution others from purchasing certain Toyota products specifically Tacoma’s, Tundras and Sequoias. We are still open to resolving this issue with Toyota Motor Corp. if they will decide to do what is right. Anyone have this type of experience with an 06 Tundra?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	231168   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	231170   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	219
ID:	231172   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	188
ID:	231174  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-07-2019, 03:23 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
having a similar issue with 2002 Tundra I purchased new, only 106k miles on it, all in good shape except frame is rusted out. I had it inspected for the recall in 2012 and was told it passed inspection, now it is completely rusted through in multiple places, cross member is cracked, cannot support spare tire much less the rest of the vehicle safely. I know other people who received new frames or at the very least a corrosion resistant treatment and their trucks are all in good condition now, seems very arbitrary inspection criteria and course of action I have spoken with both Toyota corporate directly and the dealer and told they will not do anything about it because there are no open recalls/service campaigns/customer support programs. I am not done with them, may proceed with legal action if I have any grounds, will be looking into that. I am filing a complaint with National Transportation Safety Board for what it is worth. Open to any suggestions.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
If you have the paper work from back then saying it was PASS even though it was FAIL, you might be able to get something. Otherwise all I can say is try a different dealership and hope they are good to you since obviously your old one lied.
soehlers likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vangm25 For This Useful Post:
soehlers (01-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-07-2019, 04:18 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,355 Posts
Supreme Member
Right, if you have both paperwork maybe try again at another dealership. If not press Toyota again. Otherwise as mention, you will have to consider legal action.

Today’s Toyota I feel is becoming more like the old GM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-07-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
We have filed a complaint with the New Jersey Attorney Generals Office and will be filing another one with the National Transportation Safety Board. Just such a shame as this is my third Toyota truck and it will be my last if they will not resolve this issue or at least attempt to work with me to find a solution. In my last talk with a manager at corporate he told me well "go get a lawyer". You could tell from talking with them on the phone the frame rust phone call is a call they receive often. We are not going to just give up and I'll report back and give an update with what I hear in the future.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep at it, that's what everyone has suggested and what I am doing as well
post #7 of 10 Old 03-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Op, what specific area is affected on the frame? What region of the country are you living? Is this due to brine in the salting of roads?

Trying to find info for my brother. He owns a 06 tundra DC. Thanks.

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

"If it ain't broke yet, it's probably still working like a Swiss time piece; until you open it up and all hell breaks loose"
post #8 of 10 Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra problems View Post
We have filed a complaint with the New Jersey Attorney Generals Office and will be filing another one with the National Transportation Safety Board. Just such a shame as this is my third Toyota truck and it will be my last if they will not resolve this issue or at least attempt to work with me to find a solution. In my last talk with a manager at corporate he told me well "go get a lawyer". You could tell from talking with them on the phone the frame rust phone call is a call they receive often. We are not going to just give up and I'll report back and give an update with what I hear in the future.
You mentioned New Jersey, is that where the truck has been since new?
What does the State use on the roads?
Sadly Toyota made no effort to protect the frames and under-carriage of their trucks. The T100's were never covered and had the same issues. Just glad my 95' has been in SoCal all it's life.
Good Luck!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Right, if you have both paperwork maybe try again at another dealership. If not press Toyota again. Otherwise as mention, you will have to consider legal action.

Today’s Toyota I feel is becoming more like the old GM.
I see the same thing. GM once sold over half the cars in the USA, when Toyota was unknown. Now the top dog is Toyota and it seems that the corporate attitude has changed and that kind of change comes from the top down.

I see the same attitude start after the passing of Mr. Honda in 1991-2 (from memory).

Now I read about problems that seem to be there as manufactured. Gm had the audacity to tell customers the sinking cylinder walls in the Vegas were due to customers using Prestone antifreeze. Yeah right it's my mistake I had to and antifreeze to my 3 month old car. I like my old Toyotas. Was it that hard to dip the frames in a urethane paint?

I always felt I could fix anything, but that frame is toast and it is almost unbelievable that it passed any decent inspection a few years ago. One thing is they have the money to pay, get an attorney to send them a letter, might help them get an "attitude adjustment".

My 98 Sienna and 2000 Echo, were some of the best cars made EVER, by ANY company on the planet, but sadly I think those days have passed. The outsourcing of labor to countries without the work ethic of Japan contributed and cost cutting measures are the antithesis of the level of quality which many here became used to two decades ago.

I think the age of expecting perfection has now become the age of buyer beware. What's good for General Motors is good for the USA, the attitude of unions and employees, versus the Japanese work ethic, transformed GM from 600,000 employees to 35k or less today. Automation has greatly improved quality across the industry but the pursuit of cost cutting and reduction in overall quality makes us have to deal with these issues and a corporate structure that is profit driven versus quality driven.

See the video of the Tesla going 75 MPH down the road with the driver sleeping behind the wheel. Was it so hard to not see that happening. Who pays for that wreck?

Maybe the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost was higher quality. I think they came out in 1908. Cylinder sealing was so precise they would occasionally start without any action other than turning on the ignition, after sitting for hours. 60 hours labor polishing the gear driven camshafts to make them absolutely silent, 500k miles and still running in an era when 40k was a long life and Chevrolets had cups to hold oil for the rocker arms in the exposed (no valve cover) overhead valves.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I see the same thing. GM once sold over half the cars in the USA, when Toyota was unknown. Now the top dog is Toyota and it seems that the corporate attitude has changed and that kind of change comes from the top down.

I see the same attitude start after the passing of Mr. Honda in 1991-2 (from memory).

Now I read about problems that seem to be there as manufactured. Gm had the audacity to tell customers the sinking cylinder walls in the Vegas were due to customers using Prestone antifreeze. Yeah right it's my mistake I had to and antifreeze to my 3 month old car. I like my old Toyotas. Was it that hard to dip the frames in a urethane paint?

I always felt I could fix anything, but that frame is toast and it is almost unbelievable that it passed any decent inspection a few years ago. One thing is they have the money to pay, get an attorney to send them a letter, might help them get an "attitude adjustment".

My 98 Sienna and 2000 Echo, were some of the best cars made EVER, by ANY company on the planet, but sadly I think those days have passed. The outsourcing of labor to countries without the work ethic of Japan contributed and cost cutting measures are the antithesis of the level of quality which many here became used to two decades ago.

I think the age of expecting perfection has now become the age of buyer beware. What's good for General Motors is good for the USA, the attitude of unions and employees, versus the Japanese work ethic, transformed GM from 600,000 employees to 35k or less today. Automation has greatly improved quality across the industry but the pursuit of cost cutting and reduction in overall quality makes us have to deal with these issues and a corporate structure that is profit driven versus quality driven.

See the video of the Tesla going 75 MPH down the road with the driver sleeping behind the wheel. Was it so hard to not see that happening. Who pays for that wreck?

Maybe the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost was higher quality. I think they came out in 1908. Cylinder sealing was so precise they would occasionally start without any action other than turning on the ignition, after sitting for hours. 60 hours labor polishing the gear driven camshafts to make them absolutely silent, 500k miles and still running in an era when 40k was a long life and Chevrolets had cups to hold oil for the rocker arms in the exposed (no valve cover) overhead valves.
I don't remember where I watched the video but it might've had a 90s era Jeremy Clarkson narrating it. From what I remember, the Japanese had their... factory disputes in the late 1950s and early 1960s and once those were done they more or less remained "happy" up til the present. While as certain parts of the globe had them later and they had potential to destroy their car industry (United Kingdom) and certain parts of GM, Chrysler, and Ford.

As far as I know, Toyota USA does not have unions. I think a lot of their workers are recruited and they may have a team leader or something like that to represent them if needs arise. I am no expert on this, I just remember reading something about it so don't take my word for it.

Basically, people want more for sometimes doing nothing. More pay = more hours = more work. Not more pay = less hours = less work. Something has to give in whether that is the product selling, people asking for too much, or something like that. I have an idea on how the "system" works, I just can't put it into words.

Fun Fact: a 1991 Honda Accord has rubber over its brake lines. A 1997 Accord only has a open plastic cover and no rubber over its brake lines. Guess which ones I replaced more of? (even though I've only worked on one 1991 Honda Accord for other issues, they old!!!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 1st Generation (2000–2006)