2001 Toyota Tundra V8 - Check engine light codes? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2001 Toyota Tundra V8 - Check engine light codes?

Does anybody have the check engine light codes? My check engine light went on recently, and sometimes it flashes on and off (1 second interval) theng goes solid, I read online usually its the catalyic converter or O2 senson but I want to verify. I checked in my owners manual and they womt tell, it just says to bring to a draft, obviously. Any help would ge helpful.

2001 toyora tundra v8 4.7l access cab

P.S : off topic ish, anybody ever run this truck straight pipe only the muffler? Is it not too bad on the truck or? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
You have to find out what the actual code is that the ECU is throwing. Places like Autozone will pull the CEL codes for free. You can then come back on here and search for that particular code, or use your search engine of choice (Google, Bing, etc...).

Regarding the cat converter delete, if you live in a state that does not require emissions inspections, you can certainly do this. However, your front & rear O2 sensors provide feedback to the ECU so it can adjust fuel management parameters. Without the O2 sensors the truck will not run as efficiently, plus your CEL will always be on.

Post back once you get the actual code and I'm sure someone here can help you solve the issue.

1996 T-100 Long Bed, 5 Speed, 2WD
2002 Ford F-150 Lightning
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM
New TN User

My CEL came on code p0340 which is the cat. Convertor, I had it reset and it hasn't been on since ( 2 weeks) I think it was some questionable gas, I learned my Toyota likes shell gas the best. I really surprised it hasn't come back on, knock on wood.
If you disconnect your battery for 10 min. It will reset your ECM, check your gas cap and if it comes back on have the code pulled and let us know what ya get

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to halsam00 For This Useful Post:
tmak09 (01-16-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-01-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
The engine light still comes up ; I always fuel up at a Shell station (Flying J or Macs) and put 87 grade gas. I think it is my cat though because this morning at -42 and while warming up I realized a lot of air flow going under the truck instead of the back end of my exhaust, and I looked under and it was near the cat. I think it might be a leaking gasket for the cat, will get that replaced any time soon. I am going to plug it in the computer to make sure though, never know could be something much worst than I think.

Thanks for your reply though, appreciate it.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsam00 View Post
My CEL came on code p0340 which is the cat. Convertor, I had it reset and it hasn't been on since ( 2 weeks) I think it was some questionable gas, I learned my Toyota likes shell gas the best. I really surprised it hasn't come back on, knock on wood.
If you disconnect your battery for 10 min. It will reset your ECM, check your gas cap and if it comes back on have the code pulled and let us know what ya get

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 1st Generation (20002006)