Next vehicle could be a 4 Runner..What model? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4Runner Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Toyota 4Runner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Next vehicle could be a 4 Runner..What model?

I have had a 2001 Tacoma Pre Runner from the beginning. I'm looking to buy a 2016 4 Runner now but just not sure which model I should focus on. My Tacoma is 2.8 4 Cylinder & not 4x4. I don't want to make that mistake this time. I want V6 and 4 wheel drive which it seems that all models fit those unless I'm mistaken. I don't have a family at the moment so it will mostly just be me and friends traveling. My budget is around the 40k range. I have a friend that is a former car sales rep & we're going to go to a dealership he used to work at. So he'll be helping me out with the process and he still knows people who work there. So, I feel that I won't get ripped off because he will look out for my interests there. I mention that because maybe one model might work for 41k since I probably won't be pressured into a bad deal (with a lot of commission to the salesmen).

6 Models Below:
SR5
SR5 Premium
Trail
Trail Premium
Limited
TRD Pro

I try and compare on the Toyota website but sometimes it seems confusing. Any recommendations on what I probably should be looking for based off price? If I could narrow my choices to 2-3 models I think I'd have an easier time once I get to the dealership.

EDIT: I mentioned my budget being 40k. I'm okay with going over but that's about the area where I'd prefer to stay around. One plus with having experienced help is I might be able to get a nice 4 Runner for 43k and know I'm getting a great deal therefore it would be worth spending a few more. One fear I've had going into this is getting a bad deal. I know 4 Runners really sell themselves so dealerships aren't going to just cut prices like other cars they might have more trouble selling.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tacomakid2k1; 03-21-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
They are all 6-cylinders. Get the Limited, as it has full-time AWD.
The Following User Says Thank You to canddmeyer For This Useful Post:
Tacomakid2k1 (03-22-2016)
post #3 of 9 Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
what are your plans for the 4runner?
I really like my TE, but if offroad is not in your plans, you may be able to get away with a SR5 premium.
If you want all bells and whistles, year, Limited is your jam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foques For This Useful Post:
Tacomakid2k1 (03-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-22-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I gotta be honest with myself. I've never gone off roading before so to sit there and buy something meant for that main purpose probably wouldn't be too smart. I would like something with the capability of going off road for camping and such. Again, I've never done that but have been asked plenty of times and a big reason I never went was that I didn't have 4 wheel drive.

Majority of the time I'll just be using it for regular use. We do get snow a few times a year so I would like something that handles well in the snow. Right now anytime the roads are iced/snow I slip and slide because of no weight in the back of my truck.

Thanks for your replies!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
You still risk slipping and sliding on ice without snow tires. Tread lightly!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You know, the whole slipping/sliding is just a driver skill..
I used to drive me ~600HP G35 through Chicago winters with a little hassle.

I see what you mean by not having gone off road, though. only reason I went with a TE is because of the hood look, and I got a VERY good deal on the tradein for my old SR5 T4R.
quite frankly, I wish I'd gone with an SR5 premium and saved some $$, but it is too late for me
post #7 of 9 Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Avalonian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Art

If you're willing to save some money you might consider an off-lease vehicle. My last three vehicle purchases were lease turn ins (Avalon, Corolla, and Highlander). There is a large selection of off-lease vehicles out there. My choice was a 1 year old Highlander Limited 4WD, comfortable highway SUV, good fuel economy, great in the snow and handles light off road with ease. Check out www.offleaseonly.com
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 PM
New TN User

I was in your boat and I went for a 2016 SR5. Didn't want heated seats and mirrors and moon roof like the premium. Plus the other models are all going to run you more than the 41,000 your looking to spend
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-2017, 04:46 PM
3rd Gen T4R Mafia Member

Garage
With a $40k budget, I'd recommend an SR5 Premium. Unless you don't care about having all the bells and whistles, then go with just an SR5. When I bought my 2015, I just got a base model SR5. The only options it had were 4WD (I guess that still counts as an option) and the Navigation. But even at being a "base" model it was still pretty well equipped. Came with the tow package, heated mirrors, back-up camera, and all the Entune connectivity. With the Premium, you'll get leather seats, a moonroof, turn signals mounted in the mirrors, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting.

Either way you go, you won't be disappointed. I loved mine. Mine got totaled going to work one day, and I decided after everything was settled to stay out of a payment and buy something I could pay cash for so I could throw more money in savings for a down payment on a house. Anyway, that 4Runner is still probably my favorite vehicle purchase, with my current 3rd Gen being a close second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge