2000 tacoma engine mod question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tacoma 1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2000 tacoma engine mod question

I have a 2000 tacoma, with 220,000 miles on it.. bone stock.. it runs great but i started putting some mods on it (small lift, rims, tires) i want to put some engine mods to help hauls the heavier wheels(intake, exhaust, throttle body spacer) but im afraid after it being stock for almost 20 years if that could have a negative impact on the motor.

Just wondering if modding it after so long of it being stock could lead to other issues..

Any info would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeb192 View Post
I have a 2000 tacoma, with 220,000 miles on it.. bone stock.. it runs great but i started putting some mods on it (small lift, rims, tires) i want to put some engine mods to help hauls the heavier wheels(intake, exhaust, throttle body spacer) but im afraid after it being stock for almost 20 years if that could have a negative impact on the motor.

Just wondering if modding it after so long of it being stock could lead to other issues..

Any info would be appreciated!
I doubt the things you mention would have a negative effect on the engine but at the same time I find it as doubtful you'll see any improvement.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 11:34 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,921 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Welcome to the forums!

Which engine do you have? 2WD or 4WD? Auto or manual transmission?

As long as the motor is in good condition, it should be fine. I would baseline the numbers (compression fer a start) on the engine so you know where the condition of the engine sits. Have you performed a standard tune up on the engine? Spark plugs, wires, coil boots, PCV valve, throttle body cleaning, idle air control (IAC) valve cleaning, valve cover gasket replacement, timing belt inspection/replacement, water pump inspection/replacement, etc.

I would venture to guess that the cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and exhaust mods probably won't make that much of a performance difference but it is yer money to experiment with.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Taco lover

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The first thing to do is run a compression test. Pending the test results, the TRD supercharger is a fantastic upgrade. The performance difference is immediate and substantial, and makes the Tacoma a pleasure to drive.

Equally important is the health of the automatic transmission. If the radiator is still original at 220k, you're already on borrowed time. The problem occurs as a failure of the trans cooling area of the radiator failing, mixing coolant with trans fluid. You really don't want a "pink milkshake"; the transmission will be junk.

Oh, and lower ball joints. History of failure, and the results are ugly.

All that said, I love 1st gen Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners!

1998 Tacoma TRD - Bought back by Toyota in 2/13 for frame rust.
Currently driving a 2000 4Runner and loving it!
post #5 of 5 Old 06-28-2019, 11:32 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceye View Post
The first thing to do is run a compression test. Pending the test results, the TRD supercharger is a fantastic upgrade. The performance difference is immediate and substantial, and makes the Tacoma a pleasure to drive.

Equally important is the health of the automatic transmission. If the radiator is still original at 220k, you're already on borrowed time. The problem occurs as a failure of the trans cooling area of the radiator failing, mixing coolant with trans fluid. You really don't want a "pink milkshake"; the transmission will be junk.

Oh, and lower ball joints. History of failure, and the results are ugly.

All that said, I love 1st gen Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners!

I found out about the ball joints the hard way...mine happened at 230k, though I do also abuse mine off-road pretty severely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 1st Generation (1995.52004)