Manual trans - Clutch dragging severely - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BMR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Manual trans - Clutch dragging severely

I've been battling for months with a severely dragging clutch(grinds if you put in gear w/engine running, will lurch if you attempt to start in gear). Replaced a blown flex line(no go), replaced slave, then master(2x), adjusted pedal free play to minimum, and it worked well for awhile. Found the pedal bracket with the infamous corner crack reinforced it with a bolt/plate thru firewall(still a little flex in pedal, the whole mount area is cheezy AF) but it worked well for a week or so, now dragging again! Bled repeatedly and took it in for power bleed, worked a bit better(useable but draggy), now back to severe dragging. Bottom line, I need to know the amount of throwout fork travel(at slave cylinder) that is required for proper clutch operation. There ought to be a spec on this, as it's the single central requirement for a proper clutch disengagement, but I've yet to find that spec. I've seen 1" mentioned, is that adequate or not??? I'll dive in to internal clutch repair, but till I find that spec I'm looking for, I'm not inclined to go that route. I still suspect insufficient clutch throwout. Input greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fast eddie 52; 03-23-2019 at 12:08 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 03:10 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Thanked 3,680 Times in 2,910 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Welcome to the forums!

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #3 of 8 Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,904 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Hey there fast Eddie! I broke your post out into its own thread.
BamZipPow likes this.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 62k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 397k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
If anyone with a good operational clutch that is same as my '94 V-6 4x4, I'd really appreciate if you could do me a favor and reasonably measure lever travel at your slave cylinder to establish once and for all what a solid clutch "throwout" measures. I'm about to pull the trans to inspect clutch, but still suspect throwout issue. I should also mention that my grandson who is the owner, has put a 52" braided steel line in place of the lower factory steel tube section, and i'm beginning to suspect that of swelling and absorbing some of the hydraulic energy. Anyone have issues with aftermarket flex lines(especially 52", that's a long run). It worked well when new last summer, but it could be failing. Any thoughts?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-23-2019, 09:55 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Thanked 3,680 Times in 2,910 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

52" is a really a long run fer a soft line. Do you happen to know what brand and model that line is? I would try going back to the original hard line and see if it doesn't resolve the issue.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
No, don't know brand...I'm still hoping someone can give me a quick measure of their clutch throwout measurement or even just a video shot...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, it appears the 52" line was the deciding factor. When I replaced it with the stock part, the clutch worked. The small amount of hydraulic pressure/travel absorbed by the line caused insufficient travel at the throwout lever. Well, the truck now has a new clutch, too, but it probably could've gotten by a bit longer without that overhaul.
The Following User Says Thank You to fast eddie 52 For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-22-2019)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie 52 View Post
. . . it appears the 52" line was the deciding factor . . the truck now has a new clutch, too, but it probably could've gotten by a bit longer without that overhaul.
Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. You can't go wrong with a new clutch. The labor will be quickly forgotten, but the performance will live on for years.

Just for the record, did you record your lever travel? How much did it improve when you swapped out the flexible line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux