93 Truck...turn signal / hazard flasher issue - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By krellboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
93 Truck...turn signal / hazard flasher issue

Just started having some weird issues with my turn signals and hazard flashers. All bulbs and fuses are OK and working in some combination of turn, brake or lights.

Turn signals work OK with lights off and no brake pedal....with brake pedal the dash turn signals blink fast

brake pedal lights in rear work normally with lights off but not with lights on

emergency flasher button pushed...no lighted flasher button in car.....outside = no flashing lights in rear but in the front both parking lights and turn lights flash.....with brake pedal pushed the both rear parking lights blink dimly

Turn signals.....the combination of outcomes with lights on or off and brake pedal pushed or not is so complicated I won't try to explain it unless some one asks me....or PM's me.

A search didn't show this problem....but I'm thinking that it seems like it's most likely the Flasher Relay or the Turn signal assembly.

I'm not very sure where either is located? Can someone point me the way? Here's a photo of the fuse box....is the black relay the flasher relay? What's that metal canister looking thing? And could someone point me to a part number or source...as I can't read it on the photo?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ueu31ddid1..._0150.JPG?dl=0

Any input or how to proceed would be appreciated.

Last edited by krellboy; 04-30-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: server problem posting in title....per Moose PM 4/29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,921 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Do you have a trailer light adapter installed? Those are notorious fer causing various electrical gremlins when they go bad. Remove it from the system and see if yer issue goes away. You can always install another one if you still need it.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 01:00 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Also, have you inspected all yer grounds? It's a simple start to work from as ground issues are usually the first thing to suspect. BTW, how good are yer battery connections? Snap a piccie and post.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
New battery within 6 months....solid connections but will check again. No trailer harness....

Still wondering on the flasher relay. Was the picture showing the flasher relay?

Regarding the grounds....I considered this but wouldn't have any idea where to start looking...battery first I guess. I understand the theory but not the exact process to do it. A wiring diagram may help.

Nothing really has changed recently to cause the problem.....I'm just befuddled to understand how the brake pedal, and whether the head lights (or parking lights) are on or off....causes such erratic behavior.....such as the opposite blinker working with parking lights blinking on/off as well.

Thanks for the input and response.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-01-2019, 02:36 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krellboy View Post
. . . befuddled to understand how the brake pedal, and whether the head lights (or parking lights) are on or off....causes such erratic behavior.....such as the opposite blinker working with parking lights blinking on/off . . .

The basic idea is that current is intended to flow through each lamp to ground. Where various lamps share a common ground, and that "ground" wire becomes ungrounded or high resistance, then the current from one lamp flows into the other lamps through the ground interconnect.

Give all your lamps and lamp sockets a good visual inspection and polish off any corrosion. If that doesn't work, use a DMM. With the lights in the crazy state, measure the voltage at each lamp ground with respect to battery ground. This means put the DMM black probe on the battery (-) terminal, and the DMM red probe on the lamp ground contact.

Since ground is ground, you would measure zero volts in a well functioning system. If you measure a volt or more, that "ground" is high resistance.

Last edited by Wekadog; 05-01-2019 at 02:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wekadog For This Useful Post:
krellboy (05-02-2019)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-01-2019, 02:59 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

I believe the round silver thing might be the Tail light relay. The turn signal flasher might be kinda buried up under the dash.

Give all yer bulbs a good look over and measurement. When in doubt, replace it. Sometimes the filament will break loose and cross over on one of the other legs and cause issues all day long. I believe the bulb should be a 1157 (dual filament) bulb with the offset lugs.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2019, 03:02 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Maybe this might help a little?
http://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/toyo...x-diagram.html

Last edited by BamZipPow; 05-01-2019 at 03:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BamZipPow For This Useful Post:
krellboy (05-02-2019)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-02-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Wekadog....thanks for the explanation. Pretty sure I don't get all the finer details on the how to. I'll post back to you if I need further elaboration...ie is a Digital MM required vs. Analog MM....and the check points.

But I be checking all the bulbs again...especially the tail light that's been collecting some moisture. Replaced a questionable bulb in it and was surprised my problem didn't go away then.

BamZipPow......on the Hazard relay video. Mine not exactly in the same location. But just now took down the kick panel..found that sucker. Waaay...up there and near the front, says "flasher"....never would have found it without taking the panel down...even with a mirror. I still wonder whether where all these light circuits...(turn,headlight,brake,hazard)...interse ct is the source of the issue.

More later....

Thanks all for the thoughtful input and bandwidth

BTW....my wife says..."Just buy a new truck"....lol

Last edited by krellboy; 05-02-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update incorrect description
post #9 of 12 Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
It's not the Hazard Flasher relay.....checking the bulbs this week-end. I'll dread he process of running down a bad ground....I hope it turns out to be a bulb.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I'm feeling a bit retarded here. It did turn out to be a bulb....actually the tail light assembly, afterall. The assembly that I bought thru an online source because my was busted and leaky....seemed OK..fit and plug... was a good price as well. The plug fit the harness...this was a left side unit so the wires traveled from the right...but that's where all the wackiness occurred.

Turned out the wiring on the male plug set-up to the parking/brake light was just mis-wired for my truck....maybe fit some other country's Toyota OK. If I hadn't pitched out the old assembly I probably would have been able to tell the wiring set-up was off. Didn't....so spent a lot of time scratching my head while tracing wire colors right to left. Once I swapped out two wires in the new plug....wa la....back in business and everything like it should have been. Happy it worked out....too bad I spent so much time on something that should have been easy.

Thanks for all your help and input....rendered me +1 as a DIY'er
BamZipPow likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krellboy View Post
. . . Turned out the wiring on the male plug set-up to the parking/brake light was just mis-wired for my truck . . .
Congratulations on a job well done. Sounds like another job made harder than it need be by false assumptions. It's surprising how often we rule out a part because it's new. Part of learning DIY repairs is to never assume anything.

You got it in the end, and that's what counts. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Glad you got it figured out. Now you can see why one needs to mention everything that got touched. Thanks fer the follow up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux