Pedal Commander - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 8th Generation (2018+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2018+

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 67 Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Official TN Member
 
alucard3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
From the consistently positive user reports, the only downside I see is the ~$300 cost and the risk of potential issues from Toyota on any transmission or electronic system warranty claims.
According to ''Pedal Commander'';

When a dealership does any kind of work or repair, they run a scan on the vehicle’s computer to see if anything has been changed. Other aftermarket tuners and programmers will leave “flags” on the ECU after they’ve been installed, and will remain even after they’ve been removed. These digital footprints are what cause the dealership to void any kind of claim or maintenance program.

Pedal Commander is 100% UNTRACEABLE by dealerships. Before going in for service, just make sure you turn the unit off and tuck it out of sight and you’re good to go! But if you’re going in for any kind of repair or problem, we recommend removing the unit just to be safe because when a dealership starts running diagnostics, they look for things like this.

Now that`s what they say. I am not sure how the car will react to it in a long term is still a question. I haven`t heard any issues with transmission so far though.
alucard3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 67 Old 06-14-2019, 08:29 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post
Because they want to standardize the response by using electronic throttle. They know their cars are driven mostly by families and older people so they limit throttle by adding what so called ''lag''. To me, i like the reliability of the car but not a fan of that nasty lag. Still young and want to enjoy the car but don`t want to compromise the reliability, choices are either get used to it or find a way around it. Dumb but that`s the truth on most of the Toyota cars.
The PedalCommander, Sprint Booster, iThrottle, etc. only change what your gas pedal is telling the car to do. By themselves they can NOT increase fuel efficiency or performance. What they can do is change the way you drive which may result in better fuel economy, which you can also accomplish easily by just gradually bringing the car up to speed and letting it shift the way it wants to. The value of the PC and these other products is in linearity and predictability of the throttle, which may improve your driving experience and make your car more fun to drive. Any claims of it improving gas mileage, faster 0-60 times, or both, are dubious.

Disclaimer: I've never used a PC, but I have used an iThrottle which does the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post
Pedal Commander is 100% UNTRACEABLE by dealerships. Before going in for service, just make sure you turn the unit off and tuck it out of sight and you’re good to go! But if you’re going in for any kind of repair or problem, we recommend removing the unit just to be safe because when a dealership starts running diagnostics, they look for things like this.
This is true. Think of it like modding a stereo volume knob so that every 1 turn of the knob is equal to 1.5 turns of the potentiometer inside the stereo. The stereo knows no difference. Same idea.

Last edited by jperryss; 06-14-2019 at 08:33 AM.
jperryss is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jperryss For This Useful Post:
alucard3 (06-14-2019)
post #48 of 67 Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
For my Canadian fellows.


Sprint Boost V3 for the Gen8 Camry is available on www.sprintboostercanada.com for 330 CAD tax included and with free shipping. Add committedcrew at the coupon code for 25$ off.
That brings it to 305 CAD delivered at your door. It's better and cheaper than the pedal commander!



I consider buying this and fully enjoy this car.
memexe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49 of 67 Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ordered mine over the weekend, should be here soon. I keep seeing people say to turn the car off and wait 5-10 mins... can't I just take the ground off the battery and install it? Wouldn't be any risk of any power then correct?

I've seen some people have had issues where they will be driving and then suddenly throw a code and get stalled to 30 mph, or worse.. anyone had this issue?
Arkaea is offline  
post #50 of 67 Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaea View Post
Ordered mine over the weekend, should be here soon. I keep seeing people say to turn the car off and wait 5-10 mins... can't I just take the ground off the battery and install it? Wouldn't be any risk of any power then correct?

I've seen some people have had issues where they will be driving and then suddenly throw a code and get stalled to 30 mph, or worse.. anyone had this issue?
Not me and I have had it on Sport +2 for 2 weeks since I bought it.

Ian B
mrianb is online now  
post #51 of 67 Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaea View Post
Ordered mine over the weekend, should be here soon. I keep seeing people say to turn the car off and wait 5-10 mins... can't I just take the ground off the battery and install it? Wouldn't be any risk of any power then correct?

I've seen some people have had issues where they will be driving and then suddenly throw a code and get stalled to 30 mph, or worse.. anyone had this issue?
Most likely those who try to change the settings while driving instead of doing it while parked.
Arkaea likes this.
martyr4 is online now  
post #52 of 67 Old 06-20-2019, 09:08 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post
Because they want to standardize the response by using electronic throttle. They know their cars are driven mostly by families and older people so they limit throttle by adding what so called ''lag''. To me, i like the reliability of the car but not a fan of that nasty lag. Still young and want to enjoy the car but don`t want to compromise the reliability, choices are either get used to it or find a way around it. Dumb but that`s the truth on most of the Toyota cars.
===========

I believe there should be a setting that you could "unlock" sort of speak to give more on demand or performance for those who know what they are doing. I guess the ideal compare would be is enabling "developer" mode on an android phone, allowing you to adjust this and that. I believe cars should have something similar, allow you to unlock features of sorts that the every day consumer wouldn't know about.

=============
Any who after having the Pedal Commander for a week or so, I have it set to Sport +3 and it is amazing. No lag when pushing down, car gets up to speed and sometimes have to slow down cause I am hitting 60 without realizing on how smooth and gradual it is. I have not tried flooring it cause I don't have any reason to do so. Have I, absolutely but that was without pedal commander installed just to see what would happen. Overall though, the pedal commander in my opinion was well worth the $300. It is really hard to put into words on the big difference until you actually own the product.
GiggitySage is offline  
post #53 of 67 Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
pedal commander

After reading this forum thread and owning my 2019 XSE for a week , um yea got mine on the way . To be delivered today , fast ass shipping. Let yall know how it goes . Thanks you all the info on this forum!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190612_165947.jpg (786.7 KB, 20 views)
jessejamez69 is offline  
post #54 of 67 Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejamez69 View Post
After reading this forum thread and owning my 2019 XSE for a week , um yea got mine on the way . To be delivered today , fast ass shipping. Let yall know how it goes . Thanks you all the info on this forum!!
Enjoy.. it's a MASSIVE difference.
GiggitySage and jessejamez69 like this.
Arkaea is offline  
post #55 of 67 Old 06-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ive had 5 friends drive my car (XSE V-6) in factory mode and than with PC at sport+ Plus 4 to feel the difference. All were amazed first on the factory power in itself. Than putting the PC on, they couldn’t take the smiles off their faces. One who drives a Charger ordered the PC that night. For anyone who is on the fence on buying this, it is well worth the 300.00. Having Bluetooth is also a win win. I have the PC hidden and never need to take it out to control any settings, just use the APP.
I pretty much always keep it on sport+ plus 4. My gas mileage does seem better and I’m guessing it’s because you don’t really need to give it much gas for it to get going. I’m not sure if that’s accurate or what, but I’m thinking that might be how it works. I suffer from poor gas mileage anyway since my commute to work is only about 3 miles. Bought my car in mid August 2018 and have under 7k on in 10 months.
shotofwine is offline  
post #56 of 67 Old 06-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: NY/NJ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone know if PedalCommander makes a decent improvement in MPG that you get? I would like to make my Camry even more fuel efficient - is installing this going to help me?

'18 Toyota Camry XSE
kordy is offline  
post #57 of 67 Old 06-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No. It will not make it anymore efficient than you can do with your foot. The economy settings on these devices do what Toyota already does... make response slow.
Smitty19XSE is online now  
post #58 of 67 Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,413
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Thanks: 85
Thanked 746 Times in 674 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Arrow

OVTUNE - Dynamic Force. A25A FKS Engine Development
by Mathew Wilson February 07, 2019

Toyota's all new "Dynamic Force Engine."

OrangeVirus Tuning development for the A25A-FKS 200+HP 2.5L Engine is under way.

Our goal is simple.

1. More power.
2. Even better fuel economy.

The A25A dynamic force engine comes standard with 13:1 compression and runs on 87 octane. Toyota touts it as one of the highest thermally efficient engines ever created.

With Dual Intelligent Valve Timing and intake manifold tumbler control, this engine reminds of us the Mazda "Skyactiv" G platform. Similar, 13:1 super high compression built to run on 87 octane. What did we learn on that platform? Premium octane and a few simple mods can create more than 20% horsepower gains, while still maintaining stock like efficiency.

Toyota's new engine deploys a vast array of latest tech to bring the on demand response drivers desire. Similar to the Skyactiv-G platform, this engine uses camshaft angles to maintain cylinder filling moreso than the throttle blade itself. That means, under ideal conditions the throttle may be open much further than one would expect, and the valves are opened at just the right time to cruise along at a steady state. This greatly enhances efficiency.

So what is OVTune's Plans for this engine?

1. We will extract more power, safely by use of 91 octane and 93 octane gasoline. Manufacturers rarely tune their engines to reach peak horsepower, and when an engine is designed to run 87 octane and has compression this high, more octane almost always means more power is on tap, just waiting to be opened.

2. Increase real world MPG. We have achieved this with the Skyactiv-G 2.5L using certain tuning strategies that recalibrate the intake and exhaust valve timing tables, along with increasing ignition during stoic where the engine is actually being used. By doing so, we have achieved more than 45 MPG on 87 octane (highway) on the 2.5L Skyactiv engine. We expect to see similar abilities out of this engine, and potentially even greater efficiency than the Skyactiv.

Controlling Airflow:

The A25A-FKS engine employs an airflow control strategy just like any other Toyota calibration. Calculating and simulating expected airflow for a given RPM. Because of this, it is possible that during real world driving you may not be getting as much throttle as you would imagine. Just because YOU floor the accelerator, does not mean the ECM is going to fully open the throttle butterfly. Just like the Toyota Tacoma, ultimately, the amount of throttle you can achieve is up to tables such as these.

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/o...ne-development
Irishmethod likes this.

Last edited by invader; 06-25-2019 at 06:42 PM.
invader is offline  
post #59 of 67 Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
OVTUNE - Dynamic Force. A25A FKS Engine Development

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/o...ne-development
This will do so much more than a PC and if it's anything like Ktuner, Hondata, etc. then it'll also let you customize throttle mapping just like the PC does.

Wouldn't it be amazing if they could change how the transmission shifts too?

EDIT: Looks like they did it with the Tacoma, and if the Camry is the same, this does a good job of explaining why downshifting is so bad in these cars.

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/h...-are-fixing-it

Definitely keeping an eye on this!
invader likes this.

Last edited by jperryss; 06-25-2019 at 06:40 PM.
jperryss is offline  
post #60 of 67 Old 06-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
OVTUNE - Dynamic Force. A25A FKS Engine Development
by Mathew Wilson February 07, 2019

Toyota's all new "Dynamic Force Engine."

OrangeVirus Tuning development for the A25A-FKS 200+HP 2.5L Engine is under way.

Our goal is simple.

1. More power.
2. Even better fuel economy.

The A25A dynamic force engine comes standard with 13:1 compression and runs on 87 octane. Toyota touts it as one of the highest thermally efficient engines ever created.

With Dual Intelligent Valve Timing and intake manifold tumbler control, this engine reminds of us the Mazda "Skyactiv" G platform. Similar, 13:1 super high compression built to run on 87 octane. What did we learn on that platform? Premium octane and a few simple mods can create more than 20% horsepower gains, while still maintaining stock like efficiency.

Toyota's new engine deploys a vast array of latest tech to bring the on demand response drivers desire. Similar to the Skyactiv-G platform, this engine uses camshaft angles to maintain cylinder filling moreso than the throttle blade itself. That means, under ideal conditions the throttle may be open much further than one would expect, and the valves are opened at just the right time to cruise along at a steady state. This greatly enhances efficiency.

So what is OVTune's Plans for this engine?

1. We will extract more power, safely by use of 91 octane and 93 octane gasoline. Manufacturers rarely tune their engines to reach peak horsepower, and when an engine is designed to run 87 octane and has compression this high, more octane almost always means more power is on tap, just waiting to be opened.

2. Increase real world MPG. We have achieved this with the Skyactiv-G 2.5L using certain tuning strategies that recalibrate the intake and exhaust valve timing tables, along with increasing ignition during stoic where the engine is actually being used. By doing so, we have achieved more than 45 MPG on 87 octane (highway) on the 2.5L Skyactiv engine. We expect to see similar abilities out of this engine, and potentially even greater efficiency than the Skyactiv.

Controlling Airflow:

The A25A-FKS engine employs an airflow control strategy just like any other Toyota calibration. Calculating and simulating expected airflow for a given RPM. Because of this, it is possible that during real world driving you may not be getting as much throttle as you would imagine. Just because YOU floor the accelerator, does not mean the ECM is going to fully open the throttle butterfly. Just like the Toyota Tacoma, ultimately, the amount of throttle you can achieve is up to tables such as these.

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/o...ne-development
Also keeping an eye on this, very interested.
Arkaea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 8th Generation (2018+)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome