Question about installing interior LED accent lighting - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 8th Generation (2018+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2018+

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question about installing interior LED accent lighting

So I wanted to put a small LED in that little hole under the area in the center dash/radio space that the XSE has a light. I found a single LED that seems to be able to fit and it just has a pos/neg wire attached to it. I would also like to get a LED strip with the same pos/neg wire to apply under the passenger dash in the same area the XSE has it between the trim.

My question is, where do I splice the pos/neg wires so that these accent lights would turn on with the car power and off when off? Fuse box somehow or somewhere else? I've seen it somewhere here but the search was not working.

Also, I would also eventually like to add accent lighting to the footwells, but that I wouldn't want to always be on when the car is on. For that I would want to be able to turn it on or off myself, as sometimes I wouldn't want to drive around with them on, but other times I might. I also don't really like the look of the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter and would rather hard wire that too.

So is it possible to hardwire the lights I want on and off automatically with the car as well as footwell lights I want hardwired but still control with a remote or phone?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM
High on Highlander

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Soboleski View Post
So I wanted to put a small LED in that little hole under the area in the center dash/radio space that the XSE has a light. I found a single LED that seems to be able to fit and it just has a pos/neg wire attached to it. I would also like to get a LED strip with the same pos/neg wire to apply under the passenger dash in the same area the XSE has it between the trim.

My question is, where do I splice the pos/neg wires so that these accent lights would turn on with the car power and off when off? Fuse box somehow or somewhere else? I've seen it somewhere here but the search was not working.

Also, I would also eventually like to add accent lighting to the footwells, but that I wouldn't want to always be on when the car is on. For that I would want to be able to turn it on or off myself, as sometimes I wouldn't want to drive around with them on, but other times I might. I also don't really like the look of the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter and would rather hard wire that too.

So is it possible to hardwire the lights I want on and off automatically with the car as well as footwell lights I want hardwired but still control with a remote or phone?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
All I know is that people are tapping into the glove compartment LED light for ambient lighting needs.

2014 Highlander Limited
2018 Camry SE
2014 Mercedes-Benz S 550
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
post #3 of 3 Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I installed from following topic/post below and it worked out perfect. With this installation, lights only turn on when your headlights are on. I am not sure how to make them on when you start the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewei View Post
The install is noted on the link above or Ill repost it. Shows how to remove the middle dash trim piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY4Sg6hMgl4
Can be bought here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...1-92b63de0c5ce
To install you just clip onto the dash vent trim clips and connect the wire adapter to the glove box light.
Note the glove box light socket is hard to come out, you don't have much space to put your hands in, you need a pry tool to release the clip lock in picture 3. All else is a breeze snap back in place and turn on the lights. Voila.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (56.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (48.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (71.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by alucard3; 06-10-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 8th Generation (2018+)