mp3 files not playing in correct order from USB drive - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 8th Generation (2018+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2018+

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
mp3 files not playing in correct order from USB drive

I just bought a new 2019 Camry SE and am playing a USB drive full of MP3 files. The drive is organized as follows:

01_<track_name_1>.mp3
02_<track_name_1>.mp3
03_<track_name_1>.mp3
01_<track_name_2>.mp3
02_<track_name_2>.mp3
03_<track_name_2>.mp3
01_<track_name_3>.mp3
02_<track_name_3>.mp3
03_<track_name_3>.mp3
01_<track_name_4>.mp3
02_<track_name_4>.mp3
03_<track_name_4>.mp3
Where the 01-04 are the folder names and each <track_name_#> is the same within a folder, but different between each folder.

Each folder contains a large podcast file that has been split into several pieces. The formatting was done as shown because my previous car's stereo looked for leading numbers in both folder and filenames to determine play order. All files have correct ID3 tag information.

The files in each folder do not display or play in sequential order in the Entune GUI on my 2019 Camry SE. After some searching I read that some car stereos read files by their position in the file allocation table (FAT) rather than by filename, and that this issue could be corrected by using an app such as FAT Sorter (https://fat-sorter.software.informer.com/) to reorder file position in the FAT according to filename. I used the app on my USB drive's folders and used another app (https://www.runtime.org/diskexpl.htm) to verify the files' position in the FAT corresponded to their filename, but the display and play order in the Entune GUI still didn't change.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know how to solve it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Someone else can probably answer better but I can give my 2 cents and bump this up at the same time.

My opinion - the USB integration is crap. I almost didn't buy the car due to this but was able to get bluetooth working to my satisfaction.

One of MANY USB issues is it plays tracks alphabetically so make sure your track number is first is the tagged title. It looks like that is probably the case. I use MP3TAG to do that. If that's done then it should play in order. Even with that it doesn't work to my satisfaction as it skips tracks on some albums. I might have too many tracks for it to handle.

If you have an iPhone this may be fixed through CarPlay. I have an Android so that's not an option for me. Some seem happy with USB, I think it's awful but bluetooth works fine.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedl2 View Post
Someone else can probably answer better but I can give my 2 cents and bump this up at the same time.

My opinion - the USB integration is crap. I almost didn't buy the car due to this but was able to get bluetooth working to my satisfaction.

One of MANY USB issues is it plays tracks alphabetically so make sure your track number is first is the tagged title. It looks like that is probably the case. I use MP3TAG to do that. If that's done then it should play in order. Even with that it doesn't work to my satisfaction as it skips tracks on some albums. I might have too many tracks for it to handle.

If you have an iPhone this may be fixed through CarPlay. I have an Android so that's not an option for me. Some seem happy with USB, I think it's awful but bluetooth works fine.
The USB integration is terrible and there's no excuse for it. I've tried going to the folder, artist, or album list and had it repeatedly just start playing the first track it finds and not even displaying the list. I just use Bluetooth now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I ran some tests and was able to conclude the following:

The Entune system is definitely using the FAT information to determine play order rather than the ID3 tag information. If you sort the files' order in the FAT alphabetically by their filename by using an app such as DriveSort (http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/) or FAT Sorter (https://fat-sorter.software.informer.com/) before the USB drive has been plugged into your car with those files on it, then those files will be displayed and played in alphabetical order by Entune. If you don't use an app to sort the files order in the FAT alphabetically by their filename, then they will likely be displayed and played in the wrong order by Entune because the files' order in the FAT often doesn't correspond to their alphabetical order.

What's really frustrating is that if I plug a USB drive in with a folder of files whose order in the FAT has not been sorted alphabetically by their filename, then remove the USB drive and sort the files using one of the apps listed above, when I plug the drive back into the car the files will still be in the wrong order even though I can verify on my computer that the files' order in the FAT corresponds to their alphabetical order. It's as though Entune is storing the first file order it reads and not updating it when it changes. Throughout all of my testing I did experience a couple of instances in which a folder whose ordering of files in the FAT was updated to alphabetical order after the drive had already been read by the car suddenly had its files displayed in the correct order by Entune, but I was not able to determine what the trigger was for this.

In short it seems the only way to have files within a folder play in the proper order is to copy them to the USB drive and then run a program such as DriveSort or FAT Sorter, all before plugging the USB drive into your car and giving Entune a chance to "see" the files in the wrong order. This seems like a huge hassle given that the 10 year old stereo in my previous car was able to key off of leading digits in file/folder names and automatically play in order based on that. Given that I only listen to podcasts and audiobooks now, the ability of a car stereo to play files in a specified order is key.

Last edited by Citizen Snips; 06-09-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Official TN Member from Ontario, Canada

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
This has been an issue for a while now and I hope Toyota is doing something to address it. Experiences like yours allow me to make the decision to not use the USB for music play even though I would love that option.

"Everything you need is on the other side of fear." ~ Anon

2018 Camry SE, Midnight Black (w/upgrade package)
post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
If you run the files/folders on the USB drive through the DriveSort program before plugging the USB drive into your car then everything works fine. I agree that it's a hassle to have to do this in the first place and it should be fixed, however.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I just discovered another weird issue:

I had several folders on a USB drive, each one consisting of one chapter of an audiobook. After listening to the files in 5/6 of the folders, I removed the drive from the car when I got home so I could load the next few chapters on the USB drive. I copied the folders and ran them through DriveSort. The next time I drove, I plugged the USB drive back in the car and it resumed playback at the correct point, the 6th folder I had originally copied. When Entune reached the end of the 6th folder, it quickly flashed the names of folders 1-5 that had been previously deleted, as if it was trying to play them. I stopped the music, then went to the folder browser. None of the deleted folders were showing up there, so I just manually selected the first of the new folders I had copied. From that point on everything was fine and Entune correctly played all of the new files I had copied. There is something weird about the way it interfaces with USB drives, however.

Can't they theoretically fix this with an OTA update? When I first got the car it notified me that a new version of Entune was available, which I let it download and install.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I called Toyota customer service to report the issue. As expected, they weren't able to provide me with an explanation or fix for the issue, but said they would note it and pass it along to whoever decides what features/fixes will be in the next version of the Entune software, which apparently gets one update per year. Maybe if enough people report it they will fix it. Until then the only way to make it work correctly is to follow the steps I outlined above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 8th Generation (2018+)