Oil change using pump method....didnít work - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 8th Generation (2018+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2018+

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Greasymechtech
  • 1 Post By kathyricks
  • 1 Post By mark888

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
High on Highlander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Oil change using pump method....didnít work

Sooo, Iíve been changing oil in all my cars by using a suction pump through the dipstick pipe (vs. drain plug). I find it easier and cleaner that way. Recently bought a used 2018 SE and went to change the oil today. Shoved the suction tube down the oil dipstick pipe, charged the suction pump....and....nothing. Checked the tube to ensure it was pushed as far as it will go....yup...no go.

Thought Iíd share this experience and check if anyone has been successful in changing their oil using a pump?

2014 Highlander Limited
2018 Camry SE
2014 Mercedes-Benz S 550
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
I've never done it that way but good to know.

2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
post #3 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
I have used a Mityvac 7300 PneumatiVac Air-Operated Fluid Evacuator for more than 15 years. Part of that time it was used very successfully on a 1998 Camry V6. This particular extractor is designed to be attached to an external air compressor to generate suction. Even the smallest air compressor works fine. I have found that extractors that require hand pumping do not work well, and sometimes do not work at all:
Amazon Amazon

Using a fluid extractor can be a little tricky since the long plastic tube that is inserted down into the dipstick tube can get caught up on an engine part before reaching down into the bottom of the oil pan. This requires that the tube be twisted 180 degrees and inserted with more force, since the plastic tube has a natural curl in it. Sometimes doing this with the engine still very warm helps, because the plastic tube becomes more pliable went hot.

Another problem may occur when the natural curl of the plastic tube causes it hit the bottom of the oil pan, but curl back up so the tip of the plastic tube is now above the oil level, and no oil is extracted. If this happens, it usually works to very slowly remove the tube until oil starts flowing, which will alert one that this is the reason for no oil being extracted upon initial insertion of the tube. Over time, the plastic tube usually loses its curl, especially if used on very warm or hot engine.

Removing oil with an extractor is the way almost all MB and BMW vehicles get oil their changed at a dealer, although they have more sophisticated fluid extractors that work fast than the one above. I have gotten excellent results using the Mityvac 7300, especially in getting they last drops of oil from the pan, if I keep moving the tube around so I am scrapping the bottom of the oil pan in different locations toward the end of the process. I almost always get more oil out that way than using the drain plug, because the drain plug is usually not at the absolute lowest point of the pan, due to metal ridges or reinforcements of the oil pan and drain plug thread design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 01:33 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijaz View Post
Checked the tube to ensure it was pushed as far as it will go....yup...no go.
See my comments above about pushing the tube in too far, and it curling back upwards to above the oil level in the oil pan.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Scratch the fluid extractor pump off the checklist

Eventually, someone will develop a leaky oil pan and might be able to see where the dipstick goes during the reseal. Lots of clutter with trays, upper/lower pans, balance shafts....

Stick with the drainplug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-01-1972-engine-cross-section_orig.jpg (104.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20180226_01_01_s.jpg (100.3 KB, 32 views)
Astroboy5 likes this.

So many trolls so little time
The Following User Says Thank You to Greasymechtech For This Useful Post:
Astroboy5 (06-11-2019)
post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Nothing beats draining the pan overnight through the pan drain plug to get the most old oil out which will noticably help the new oil stay cleaner longer.
Astroboy5 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I used to use the pump method on my old 02 M3, which in turn did result in a broken cam finger, not sure if that had anything to do with that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 Honda Prelude - RIP

2002 BMW M3 - RIP

2010 Lexus IS350 - RIP

2019 Camry XSE V6 - Current.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post
Nothing beats draining the pan overnight through the pan drain plug to get the most old oil out which will noticably help the new oil stay cleaner longer.
I get more oil out with my extractor than with a drain plug. I know this because I have measured the amount of oil extracted both ways. My oil new oil is very clean after an oil change.

The mistake people make with an extractor is that they use the kind with a hand pump, instead of one that uses an air compressor for constant suction (like the one I linked above).

Also, it helps if one moves the tube around at the end of the extraction, sucking up the last bits of oil (and containments) from the bottom of the oil pan. Constant suction is needed for that, and only available if an air compressor is used (with an extractor that is designed to be used with an air compressor for constant suction).
kathyricks likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Handpump or air compressor makes no difference other than time. Vacuum pump works fine. So, there is no mistake.

If you get more with the extractor, that is great. List the engine. We have at least one 2018+ Camry owners that couldn't drop the to the bottom of the pan. Might need a narrower tube or more flexible tube.

So many trolls so little time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 8th Generation (2018+)