post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2018 XSE w/JBL sub cuts out

Curious if anyone else is having this issue w/ the JBL system.

18' XSE w/ JBL system and have an issue in which the sub tapers off under heavy bass loads to where it is non existent. I am not talking about just tapering off so it doesn't blow, but literally fades off to where all the bass is coming from the door speakers, and the sub is doing little to nothing. it happens after about 15 seconds of continuous bass, tapper off over a second or two and stay like that for 10-15 seconds and then you can hear it start to fade back in to full volume. will then play fine for 30 seconds or so and then it starts over again.

I have taken it to Toyota, but got the run around like with everything else and per their "Engineers", this is by design. I fought with them for a year trying to get them to acknowledge this is either a piss pore design, or there is something faulty with it. I can understand if it would tapper off to like 60% power or something as a fail safe to not damage the speaker, but I am talking about full on cuts out.

I held off putting in my aftermarket sub/amp in to try and get this resolved, but I finally gave up and just had it installed. Now it is even more obvious because it is completely cutting off the sub and drives me crazy.

bass settings in the radio are set right at mid mark and typical listening volume when this occurs is between 17-23.

to Note trouble shooting steps:
- Used song "The Matrix" - by Bassnectar ( as it has a steady and heavy dose of bass)
- at the dealership played the same song on same settings and it did not appear to be present (dealership staff says that they heard it do it, but I listened long and hard and could not pin point where it completely cuts out)
- When sub cuts off, you can pause it for 15-20 seconds and start the song back and it is playing at full capacity again which rules out the argument that it is in the song.
- tried w/ and without "Sound levelizer" setting turned on.
- I am sure there are many other things that I did, but the main ones I can think of at this time.

Hoping someone else has experienced this, or knows of a fix/work around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
How is your amp tapped into the sub for its signal?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
via the sub output wires off the factory amp. (Had it professionally installed)

it is nothing with the aftermarket system because it did this before I added it. It is only magnified now because the aftermarket sub is so much more powerful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Official TN Member

I understand it's not the aftermarket equipment. I'm thinking in a different direction.
Is the factory sub still connected?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Factory amp sounds blown

So many trolls so little time
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasymechtech View Post
Factory amp sounds blown
This is where I'm leaning. At least a bad component on the sub channel overheating and shutting down or circuit opens when heated then closes when it cools enough.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty19XSE View Post
Is the factory sub still connected?
Factory sub is not connected anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasymechtech View Post
Factory amp sounds blown
Quote:
This is where I'm leaning. At least a bad component on the sub channel overheating and shutting down or circuit opens when heated then closes when it cools enough.
I would have to agree as this was my mode of thinking, but I have fought with Toyota on this and insisted they replace the amp as that is the only thing that it could be as it is what controls everything. They of course refuse as they say there is nothing wrong with it and "This is by design", which is the biggest load of garbage i have ever heard.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Official TN Member

I was hoping it would be still connected and taking the load off may allow the amp to continue playing.
Unfortunately this problem should have been pushed higher up the Toyota ladder before putting in aftermarket equipment. Now they will blame you for blowing the amp.
Finding an electronics tech to check the internals of the amp for possible repair may be difficult. Without seeing it in person I can't really help. It does sound like the factory amp is bad.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I was hoping it would be still connected and taking the load off may allow the amp to continue playing.
Unfortunately this problem should have been pushed higher up the Toyota ladder before putting in aftermarket equipment. Now they will blame you for blowing the amp.
Finding an electronics tech to check the internals of the amp for possible repair may be difficult. Without seeing it in person I can't really help. It does sound like the factory amp is bad.
it is well documented that this issue existed before I installed the aftermarket stuff. I fought this for nearly a year with multiple trips to the dealerships, so they cant deny that what I did caused damage to the amp. But you know how dealerships are. I fought with them for 3 months on the rear deck rattle before they finally confessed that it is an issue and fixed it.

I will have to follow back up with them when I take it back in for my upcoming standard maintenance service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 8th Generation (2018+)