New TN User
Join Date: Dec 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2018 XSE w/JBL sub cuts out
Curious if anyone else is having this issue w/ the JBL system.
18' XSE w/ JBL system and have an issue in which the sub tapers off under heavy bass loads to where it is non existent. I am not talking about just tapering off so it doesn't blow, but literally fades off to where all the bass is coming from the door speakers, and the sub is doing little to nothing. it happens after about 15 seconds of continuous bass, tapper off over a second or two and stay like that for 10-15 seconds and then you can hear it start to fade back in to full volume. will then play fine for 30 seconds or so and then it starts over again.
I have taken it to Toyota, but got the run around like with everything else and per their "Engineers", this is by design. I fought with them for a year trying to get them to acknowledge this is either a piss pore design, or there is something faulty with it. I can understand if it would tapper off to like 60% power or something as a fail safe to not damage the speaker, but I am talking about full on cuts out.
I held off putting in my aftermarket sub/amp in to try and get this resolved, but I finally gave up and just had it installed. Now it is even more obvious because it is completely cutting off the sub and drives me crazy.
bass settings in the radio are set right at mid mark and typical listening volume when this occurs is between 17-23.
to Note trouble shooting steps:
- Used song "The Matrix" - by Bassnectar ( as it has a steady and heavy dose of bass)
- at the dealership played the same song on same settings and it did not appear to be present (dealership staff says that they heard it do it, but I listened long and hard and could not pin point where it completely cuts out)
- When sub cuts off, you can pause it for 15-20 seconds and start the song back and it is playing at full capacity again which rules out the argument that it is in the song.
- tried w/ and without "Sound levelizer" setting turned on.
- I am sure there are many other things that I did, but the main ones I can think of at this time.
Hoping someone else has experienced this, or knows of a fix/work around.