Stripped oil pan threads in 2004 Highlander - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By RobinGa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen1 Stripped oil pan threads in 2004 Highlander

Last year I dropped the trans pan, cleaned and replaced the filter and gasket, and added new trany fluid. Everything went well. . . With 136,000 miles, I decided to do similar work to the engine oil pan. This necessitated removing part of the exhaust system, but I eventually connected to all the oil pan bolts, and the actual removal of the pan was without further issue.

I liked seeing that what little engine oil remained in the pan had not turned to sludge, and felt justified over having used synthetic oil - in place of regular engine oil. Further, there were a couple of spots (the size of nickel coins) where the paint had hardened and cracked (I imagine from heat) on the inside of the oil pan. Other than that, the pan cleaned up nicely, although I had to use a wire brush fitting on my drill to remove parts of the 15-year-old gasket that had hardened over time. This took more time than expected.

The oil pan was reinstalled - along with the original section of the exhaust system. Everything appeared to have gone well until it came time to replace the engine oil drain plug. Upon tightening the engine oil plug, I ended up stripping the screw threads in the oil pan drain hole. I don't remember seeing anything about this issue in the Highlander Forum, and apologize if I missed someone's entry.

Upon reflection, I think my use of one local mechanic or another, to change engine oil, may have resulted in the over-tightening of the engine oil pan bolt. I ordered another oil pan today, "O" ring and bolt, and will attempt to replace the oil pan next week. I am crossing my fingers that nothing else goes south. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Go to the "help" rack at your local auto parts store. They will have a repair kit, it's basically a hollow plug with an o ring and self tapping threads that permanently installs into the damaged hole. Then there's a smaller plug that fits into the repair plug.
This will save you from removing that oil pan again.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgeorge View Post
Go to the "help" rack at your local auto parts store. They will have a repair kit, it's basically a hollow plug with an o ring and self tapping threads that permanently installs into the damaged hole. Then there's a smaller plug that fits into the repair plug.
This will save you from removing that oil pan again.
Many thanks, MGeorge, for your reply and useful suggestion regarding the problem with the engine oil pan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 PM
ROBinGa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had same issue of stripped out threads on oil pan. I bought whole new pan and installed it. My pan came with a gasket which factory one didnít have. That was a mistake to install that gasket which acted like wick and let tons of oil seep out. I reinstalled the new pan this time only using Permatex The Right Stuff to make a thin seal and this time it worked perfectly.
fred9x likes this.

ROBinGa

2004 Highlander 2.4
Leather Ash interior
Added Pioneer DVD double din
and rear camera
Upgraded 16" Toyota factory alloys
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
toyota sells some nice crush washers, 1/8 to 1/4 turn and no drips
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Cool

2003 HL V6 AWD base, 332k miles.
I had three go-rounds with my oil change place buggering the pan threads or the plug threads.
And my oil change place is the local TOYOTA dealer!
After replacing one pan and having another damaged, I went with the Eco-Plug magnetic drain plug. I started a thread here on TN of my experience with the ECO-Plug. I am happy to report it has been in use since February 2018 with no issues. (Aside from having to educate the mechanics at Toyota how it is to be removed and re-inserted) Haya....
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8...t-i-think.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Universal-Threadless-14MM-Magnetic-Oil-Drain-Plug-by-ECO-PLUG.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	241344  

aka Slick from Ada

Last edited by Hayabusafalcon; 05-25-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007)