Quick Struts - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quick Struts

Hey guys, I have a 05 highlander limited since spring started to come around I notice the suspension and steering getting loose and to bouncy so shes about due for new struts front and rear. I need to replace as well the lower control arm bushings.

Anyways on to my question I was on rock auto and they have the monroe quick struts and they have the gabriel brand quick struts. The gabriel brand they only have for the rear but if I search for a 05 rx300 awd they have the fronts and have the same part number for the rear.

I'm assuming that rx300 and they highlander share the same struts?

I dont wanna order something and not be the same thing you know

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 02:42 PM
C R
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What does the Gabriel web site say? That should be definitive.
I have about 10k on Monroes. I find them a little stiff but no big problem
post #3 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I've heard that the Monroe struts are okay, but to avoid the Gabriel brand struts. I have Monroes on my Camry and no complaints.

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Black, 146K as of 7/19
Bought 10/16 with 131K

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Lunar Mist Metallic, 97K as of 7/19
Bought 6/01 brand new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I also have the monroe quick struts but there the economy type quick struts and there great but I figure I would get a little bit more o.e quality. I've never used gabriel but I've never heard anything bad about them maybe I'll just fork out a little bit more to get the monroe and quit messing around.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 06:18 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
HI,
It should be covered on here or online whether the RX and HL struts are interchangeable.

And as you noted if the part numbers on the Gabriel and/or Monroe websites show they interchange then you're 'golden'.

My guess is they probably are, BUT the Lexus I drove when shopping for my HL was a much softer ride, so I'm thinking they're valved differently, even if they fit/install the same.

GL,
TD

'03 AWD V6 HL
07 AWD V6 RAV4 >> Traded for '18 CR-V
Plz don't quote my post...wasted space.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 01:58 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Japan

If you live someplace with a harsh climate and road salt, quick struts are the way to go. They aren't that much more than struts only and give you all new components. I guess I'd choose the KYB assembly, they are the oem manufacturer.

My 07 has new front struts, don't know the brand or whether they were quick struts. Living in Tucson, I don't choose quick struts. Changing out the struts using the original springs & other components is pretty easy. If you have access to an air impact, it's about a 15 minute job once they are on the bench. And the other components here are rust free. Only thing I always do is clean and repack the bearings. Grease is free and I have a cleaning tank. Because it's so cheap to do, I generally go for way off brands from Rock Auto. I ordered some for my 07, rears only, are OSC brand at about $48 each. Autozone will loan me a spring compressor.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
If you live someplace with a harsh climate and road salt, quick struts are the way to go. They aren't that much more than struts only and give you all new components. I guess I'd choose the KYB assembly, they are the oem manufacturer.

My 07 has new front struts, don't know the brand or whether they were quick struts. Living in Tucson, I don't choose quick struts. Changing out the struts using the original springs & other components is pretty easy. If you have access to an air impact, it's about a 15 minute job once they are on the bench. And the other components here are rust free. Only thing I always do is clean and repack the bearings. Grease is free and I have a cleaning tank. Because it's so cheap to do, I generally go for way off brands from Rock Auto. I ordered some for my 07, rears only, are OSC brand at about $48 each. Autozone will loan me a spring compressor.

+1 on what Brian says. My original struts were a mess when I rebuilt them six or seven years ago. Sandy-rusty mess. I'm glad I had purchased all components (KYB) including the rubber stuff when I did that job. BTW-I have since gone with quick struts to my delight way easier to install. The (front) one's (cheapies) I got from 1A Auto this past winter have held up nicely so far. I'll update my ongoing string on QUICK STRUTS as the miles add up. Haya....

aka Slick from Ada
post #8 of 12 Old 06-29-2019, 10:47 AM
New TN User

I did my rear struts, finished them on Thursday. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone for the quick struts. The rubber parts on my struts are semi-perished. I had to get new bellows & bumpers--got lucky, O'reilly had them in town, so the wait was less than a couple of hours. Got them back together and on the car, even the cheap struts are such an improvement over the worn out ones. And I've gotten pretty good at changing them. The car came with new front struts, so all four are now done. Sometime in the next 6 months, I'll get a 4 wheel alignment.

As my username suggests, I live in the Sonoran Desert. All the fasteners were slightly oxidized, a breaker bar with a cheater pipe helped break them loose. Just a suggestion for those that live in the rust belt, the old thing about "California cars" is almost true. The really rust free cars come from the deserts of Arizona. My 07 Highlander looks like a new car underneath. And, for some reason, it was undercoated. Truly remarkable.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Official TN Member

Cool

Quote:
I did my rear struts, finished them on Thursday. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone for the quick struts. The rubber parts on my struts are semi-perished. I had to get new bellows & bumpers--got lucky, O'reilly had them in town, so the wait was less than a couple of hours. Got them back together and on the car, even the cheap struts are such an improvement over the worn out ones. And I've gotten pretty good at changing them. The car came with new front struts, so all four are now done. Sometime in the next 6 months, I'll get a 4 wheel alignment.

As my username suggests, I live in the Sonoran Desert. All the fasteners were slightly oxidized, a breaker bar with a cheater pipe helped break them loose. Just a suggestion for those that live in the rust belt, the old thing about "California cars" is almost true. The really rust free cars come from the deserts of Arizona. My 07 Highlander looks like a new car underneath. And, for some reason, it was undercoated. Truly remarkable.

Brian, unless you suspect damage or something bent in the rear end components you really don't need the rear end aligned. It's just a toe-in/out adjustment anyway. The front is another story. If new front components were installed then yes get the front done. Again it is just a toe adjustment. No camber adjustment on these HL's. Of course it's up to you just maybe save a few $ on the rear.
BTW-there is maybe an advantage of the rust that accumulates up here in the salt belt. I just replaced a control arm on the rear end of my 2003. Let met tell you that adjuster was rusted solid. Ain't no random movement back there. Period. The rear has never been adjusted and is still factory spec! haha.
Haya....

aka Slick from Ada

Last edited by Hayabusafalcon; 07-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 04:19 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusafalcon View Post
BTW-there is maybe an advantage of the rust that accumulates up here in the salt belt.
Haya....
Haha! I've seen pics of frame components that looked like they were stored IN the Atlantic. My brother had a Nova in Lansing that had a rusted thru valve cover! My 5 year old Corvair, when I was in HS, you could see the pavement thru the big hole in the floor.

I don't miss Michigan, much!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 04:26 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,357 Posts
Supreme Member
Monroe’s website isn’t loading for me. But find part numbers there and search rather than depend on rockauto catalogs.

If QuickStruts are available I wouldn’t bother with spring compressors, as rubber parts (including mounts) often need replacement too.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Official TN Member

Cool

Quote:
Haha! I've seen pics of frame components that looked like they were stored IN the Atlantic. My brother had a Nova in Lansing that had a rusted thru valve cover! My 5 year old Corvair, when I was in HS, you could see the pavement thru the big hole in the floor.

I don't miss Michigan, much!
Oh, I know what you mean. I once had a Plymouth Volare wagon, brown, company car, ugly as sin. The tops of the fenders rusted through in 9 months from brand new. True. Water and mud would fly up onto the windshield. If you see one of those K cars nowadays it's a rarity. They crushed most of them. Good riddance. Haha.
Haya....

aka Slick from Ada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007)