05 highlender vsc - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By insightbrewery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
05 highlender vsc

My wife had the check engine light and the "VSC" light come on at the same time. Doing a little research, some have said to check the gas cap. Did that and lights still on. So I then disconnected the battery, which worked. Although, after driving about 20 miles, lights came back on. Any ideas why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-30-2019, 11:16 PM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlt View Post
My wife had the check engine light and the "VSC" light come on at the same time. Doing a little research, some have said to check the gas cap. Did that and lights still on. So I then disconnected the battery, which worked. Although, after driving about 20 miles, lights came back on. Any ideas why?
That "fix" shows up too often across the web without an understanding of the CEL.

The CEL comes on when any of several fault codes are present. Yes, some of those have to do with the EVAP system, which could come down to the gas cap, but chances are it's not. This oversimplification is why they call it an "idiot light" (not that you're an idiot).

Bottom line is, you need to have the codes read. Most lower-end (fight me) auto parts stores such as AutoZone or O'reilly's will read the codes for you, get the list and post them back here with the definitions (Google them) and we can help you further.

Disconnecting the battery on most cars will reset the codespace, so the fault codes will disappear until the test regimen detects the offending conditions again.

One last note: the VSC light. A lot of codes that illuminate the CEL, specifically those that have to do with issues that may affect engine power output, will also disable VSC (traction control). This is because Toyotas of this era with engines equipped with ACIS (Acoustic Control Induction System, Toyota's trademark for variable-length intake) modulate engine power output with said system as part of the traction control program. If the system can't accurately predict engine power output, then VSC won't perform to specifications, so it disables it. HTH
wtdash, 05Moose and phoenix2301 like this.

00 Camry 5S-FE 184k smoooth
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP

08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2019, 05:45 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
^+1(000)

Get a code reader...$20 @ Walmart. You'll use it on an old car..yes, even a Toyota. And it'll work on any other car 1996 and newer.

'03 AWD V6 HL
07 AWD V6 RAV4 >> Traded for '18 CR-V
Plz don't quote my post...wasted space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007)