oil consumption - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
oil consumption

So our 2001 HL LTD V6 is consuming oil at an alarming rate. Qt every 300 miles or so. I believe it's doe to clogged oil baffles especially on the rear valve cover. I have come to this because when I pull the PCV out it is loaded with oil and you can see oil weeping all around the grommet and down in the opening there is oil. The previous owner led me to believe he only used Mobil 1 on the car but then later on when I was speaking to him about something else he said "nah I never use that crap just whatever they put in at where ever the oil was changed and on sale" So I believe things are pretty sludged up in the valve covers.

I have a friend lined up to pull them and his shop has a commercial parts cleaner. My question is this: Has anyone simply pulled the covers and had good luck cleaning them very well to stop the consumption? Or is my only recourse to get different cover(s)? Along with that do I need both? Or just the rear? The car is in nearly pristine condition and drives/looks nearly new (even though it has 185K on the clock).

I just invested in new t/belt, all new oil seals, tensioner/idlers, water pump, coolant flush, and new drive belts. The car does not leak a drop.

So thoughts/opinions? If I do NEED to replace the cover(s) what exactly do I get so my friend can install them for me. (the skill is there for me but the old body is weak don't relish being bent over that engine) so I will pay my friend who is a pro

2001 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
2011 Toyota Highlander SE AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Well, if your engine does not leak out, it leaks in then. Catastrophically, I must say. Unless you missed zero in 300 number.

Go to tailpipe and stick finger inside. Is it all sooty?

You likely have blow by burn out. Stuck piston rings, hardened valve stem seals. The usual. Cure is either to pull heads off and replace seals and pull pistons same time, clean or replace rings. It's major overhaul whichever way you look at it.
That you have passages plugged in the head that's for sure, judging how much oil collects under valve covers.
Personally, I'd have done aggressive engine Seafoaming. 2 cans of Seafoam into crankcase, drive for about 500 miles, drain oil, do filter, refill, 2 more cans, do same, 2 more cans, do normal oil change. It's a bit of work to do but it will open at least most of the passages and remove at least some of the crud on piston rings. If you feel brave, you can pour Seafoam into cylinders and let it sit there overnight. Then start engine. Done it. It works fine, engine tends to cough a bit starting but worse part is - it will produce huge white cloud coming out of tailpipe for about 5 minutes. As in - solid military grade smoke wall. So hood may not appreciate this.

post #3 of 35 Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
If you feel brave, you can pour Seafoam into cylinders and let it sit there overnight. Then start engine. Done it. It works fine, engine tends to cough a bit starting but worse part is - it will produce huge white cloud coming out of tailpipe for about 5 minutes. As in - solid military grade smoke wall. So hood may not appreciate this.
Boy, does THAT bring back memories. Ukrkoz speaks truth here.

This is a puzzle to me -- how could this amount of oil consumption occur without destroying the a/f (oxygen) sensors and the cats... and triggering multiple OBDII error codes?

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 06-08-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I honestly do NOT believe it's any more catastrophic than sludged up valve covers. My friend can do the job for $400 and given the amount of $$$ I have invested in it up to this point the $400 is worth it IMO if it brings the consumption down to livable levels. I am 100% positive 80% or more is going in the PCV hose as oil stays up in the baffles when I put oil in or look at the PCV area. Just wondering if anyone has tried just cleaning the VC baffles or actually ended up replacing them and if so with what?

post #5 of 35 Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
When I replaced my valve covers, I took the old baffles apart and they weren't dirty inside. Point is... I do not think that just cleaning out the original baffles will fix the consumption. You need the new design. The problem with the original design is not simply a little crud inside the baffling.

I DO believe, however, that you could probably get away with just replacing the rear valve cover and leaving the original front one in place. But since the rear one is the difficult one and the front is so easy, you may as well just do both. The additional cost for the front should be well less than half the total labor.

Lastly, be aware... With 185K miles already on the clock, the internal damage may have already been done. I would run a compression test before you bother with the valve covers. Just do the front (easy to reach) bank. The desired result is 210psi.
post #6 of 35 Old 06-09-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
What VCs did you buy for yours? I can whip out a compoosh test on the front in nothing flat.

post #7 of 35 Old 06-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Official TN Member

I used these:

rear (right) - 11201-0A060
front (left) - 11202-0A051

They were used on 2005 and newer engines and have superseded all previous valve cover versions.

A compression test on the front bank is easy-peasy and will tell you a lot. For reasons I've discussed here before, the number 2 cylinder is usually the first to go.
post #8 of 35 Old 06-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
some other posts on here have said that to re use the old valve cover, you need to drill the rivets out and remove the baffles to clean out the caked on gunk. In their opinion the deposits were too hard to get out with chemicals and needed to be manually scraped off. Then you would have to drill and tap the valve cover and bolt the baffles back on with some loc tite. Or get the newer style valve cover for a quick swap.
I think I have the same problem, but much less severe at a quart every 3000 miles. When I had the intake off it had a noticeable amount of oil in it, as well as in the pcv and hose connecting the two. If I ever need to have that manifold off again I plan on cleaning out my baffles. My hl has 260,000 miles and I've run mobile one and the larger TG 3600 oil filter since I got it at 76,000 miles, with oil changes every 6 to 7k miles. Everything was shiny clean under the valve covers at 214,000 when I had them off to get a wrench on the cams to get the backing plate off that covers the water pump, wish I knew about those baffles then!
post #9 of 35 Old 06-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
$500 in parts to upgrade
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8...ner-fixed.html

I guess it would be smart to spend the $250 on the rear cover and start from there. If it helps, then upgrade the front cover when the budget allows.

So many trolls so little time
post #10 of 35 Old 06-10-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
And here is another curious thing. IN an effort to "improve" the issue I put a new PCV in it. Well it changed but for worse. My consumption which had been about a qt every 900 shot up to a qt every 300! Frankly I don't consider a qt at 3k "consumption" I would consider that normal.

I am going to see if I can get valve cover(s) used from FleaBay. Will only Highlander covers work or any 3.3 2005 and up work?

post #11 of 35 Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
PN fits 3.0/3.3 pretty much all years/models

So, I would definitely gamble on a <$100 used fleaby/salvage yard cover. Just make sure its the 2005 or newer as some sellers are listing old ones for the entire year range.

So many trolls so little time
post #12 of 35 Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Any outward way to know if it's older passing off as newer?

post #13 of 35 Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Official TN Member

I didn't make this pic showing the difference, but I believe this is an easy way to tell the old from the new. Because of the changes in the internal PCV baffling, the old rear valve cover has two notches visible from the outside, while the new version has four.

Also, if you get good pics of the underside, the part number is cast into the material. 11211-0A060
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RX300VC2.png
Views:	60
Size:	665.2 KB
ID:	242530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040367.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	242532  
The Following User Says Thank You to Oveur Engineer For This Useful Post:
underthehood51 (06-10-2019)
post #14 of 35 Old 06-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Official TN Member

Oh, and BTW, the target spec for compression is 218, not 210:

post #15 of 35 Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Those valve covers are as scarce as hen's teeth. I can find the front ones all day but this must be a huge issue for this engine as I can't find rear VC at all. Though did find one for sale but from a 2004 3.3 and it looked the same as what I have on the engine now. Just did an oil change on it last week and in 200 miles used up 1/2 qt.

Have a new OEM PCV valve on order at dealer as well. Hoping a new PCV brings it down to more livable levels. I ordered a generic one from Amazon to replace the one that's been in there since new but the generic is nothing like the old one and I may be mistaken but I think consumption went WAY up with it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007)