polished headlights and other pics.. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
polished headlights and other pics..

So I've had the highlander a year and a half.. my sister owned it before me and always had it maintained really well.. The truck was down on power.. checked the plugs.. even though they are factory plugs with 106,000 miles on them they are still pretty clean..

So then I pulled the filter.. WOW.. she said it had been changed shortly before I got the Highlander from her.. How often do you change filters.. this one was only 8 months old..

HUGE difference after it was replaced...

I decided to also clean up the headlights while I was there.. borrowed some Maguires headlights cleaner from my brother in law.. very impressed..

BEFORE

AFTER

One last pic.. um I guess the First owner of the vehicle wanted to make sure they put all the oil in it?!?!?!?! This is written in permanent marker on the plenum cover.. LOL

02 Highlander 2wd 3.0L V6
Mobil 1 synthetic
Silverstar headlights
(upgrades to come)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight02 View Post
I decided to also clean up the headlights while I was there.. borrowed some Maguires headlights cleaner from my brother in law.. very impressed..

BEFORE

AFTER

how do you like the SilverStar headlights/ I have the PIAA Xtreme Whites and I like them, but I'm looking for a more Xenon look....any suggestions?

Last edited by TrailDust; 11-24-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Shorten the length of the overall thread.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Senior TN Member

Yoyu replacing the plugs even though they look that good? I guess good safty for tyhe $$$ coils, but speanding 60 on spark plugs makes me shiver.

Use to work for TMMI, own a '04 Highlander V6, 4WD, 3rd row,155k. My family in-law have over 5 Toyota vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Toyota Traitor

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
One last pic.. um I guess the First owner of the vehicle wanted to make sure they put all the oil in it?!?!?!?! This is written in permanent marker on the plenum cover.. LOL

Looks like the O2 sensor has been replaced

2015 Acura RDX V6 AWD Tech
2013 Honda Accord Touring 4-cylinder
2009 Toyota Tacoma AC V6 SR5 w/PP

departed.. 2002 & 2008 Highlander V6 AWD..

Last edited by TrailDust; 11-24-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: To shorten the length of the overall thread
post #5 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
how do you like the SilverStar headlights/ I have the PIAA Xtreme Whites and I like them, but I'm looking for a more Xenon look....any suggestions?
Xenon? You mean more blue? The Silverstars I like because they have a very pure white light and they are somewhat inexpensive (I think I got them for $36 a pair) and they are readily available.. I think the PIAA are supposed to be brighter though and last a bit longer but are also more expensive..

The silverstars are great for increased visibility over long distances.. they also held increase contrasts.. IE white and yellow road paint as well as reflective surfaces reflect MUCH brighter.. on a bad note.. in the rain especially with dark asphalt.. it is difficult to see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlid View Post
You replacing the plugs even though they look that good? I guess good safety for the $$$ coils, but spending 60 on spark plugs makes me shiver.
they are only $6 a piece.. and I haven't changed them yet.. I may just leave them in and just seafoam the engine..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXMACD View Post
Looks like the O2 sensor has been replaced
Funny story.. I had a bad bank 1 sensor 1.. I couldn't find out what was bank 1.. I knew upstream was sensor 1.. so I replaced the front upstream sensor and it didn't shut off the check engine light.. so instead of pulling the new sensor back out I left it in.. pulled the rear sensor and installed the old front 02 sensor.. on the back.. check engine light off....

Short story.. I replace the wrong sensor and just left it in and put the old (good sensor) where the ACTUAL bad sensor was.. LOL

Mobil 1 synthetic
Silverstar headlights
(upgrades to come)

Last edited by midnight02; 11-15-2009 at 10:16 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oil Capacity

I own several vehicles and I make a note in marker on the bottom side of the hood on all of my cars regarding:
  • Oil Capacity
  • Oil type
  • Oil drain plug and filter wrench sizes
It is easy to get confused and this saves me time getting everything I need together for oil changes (I usually do them all the cars at the same time so I only have to clean up once) and saves me from having to wiggle back out from under the car to get the correct wrench. I also write the date and mileage of the change on the oil filter.

2001 Highlander V6 Limited 4wd
2005 Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
1979 Triumph TR7
post #7 of 16 Old 11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Official TN Member

[QUOTE=midnight02;2983715]Xenon? You mean more blue? The Silverstars I like because they have a very pure white light and they are somewhat inexpensive (I think I got them for $36 a pair) and they are readily available.. I think the PIAA are supposed to be brighter though and last a bit longer but are also more expensive..

The silverstars are great for increased visibility over long distances.. they also held increase contrasts.. IE white and yellow road paint as well as reflective surfaces reflect MUCH brighter.. on a bad note.. in the rain especially with dark asphalt.. it is difficult to see..

Yes a bit more blue like xenon. I have my PIAA bulbs for 2 years now. No issues.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote=midnight02;2979606]So I've had the highlander a year and a half.. my sister owned it before me and always had it maintained really well.. The truck was down on power.. checked the plugs.. even though they are factory plugs with 106,000 miles on them they are still pretty clean..

Looks like you have a healthy burn. I plan on doing mine at aprox 90k. Look at the gap. When you compare the old to a new plug you'll be glad you spent the money.

04 Highlander 01 4Runner 00 Camry 90 Chev S10
post #9 of 16 Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Senior TN Member

NGK 's installed when I went to replace?

Went I went to change the plugs in my '04 HL 3MZ-FE. I pulled out NGK's!! These are not stock correct. Had scooper anti-seize on the threads as well. Guess they have bene replaced so I am good to go.

Guess I can return the 60 worth of Denso Iridiums I bought.

Use to work for TMMI, own a '04 Highlander V6, 4WD, 3rd row,155k. My family in-law have over 5 Toyota vehicles!
post #10 of 16 Old 11-21-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I bought NGK Iridium IX spark plugs.. anyone have any experience.. my auto parts store didn't have the denso in stock.. are these good or what..

Also are they pregapped or do I need to gap them? This is the first vehicle I have had to use special plugs.. all my previous cars just had regular copper plugs.. BTW car has 116,000 miles on it now.. 36.000 miles in a year and a half and that is mainly driving back and forth to work and church (about 25 miles each way) only trip its been on is one trip to Kentucky about 1300 mile round trip..

Mobil 1 synthetic
Silverstar headlights
(upgrades to come)

Last edited by midnight02; 11-21-2009 at 12:12 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I bought NGK Iridium IX spark plugs.. anyone have any experience.. my auto parts store didn't have the denso in stock.. are these good or what..

Also are they pregapped or do I need to gap them? This is the first vehicle I have had to use special plugs.. all my previous cars just had regular copper plugs.. BTW car has 116,000 miles on it now.. 36.000 miles in a year and a half and that is mainly driving back and forth to work and church (about 25 miles each way) only trip its been on is one trip to Kentucky about 1300 mile round trip..
NGK Iridium IX are excellent plugs, but they last about 60,000 miles, not 100k+ like the NGK Iridium long life.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Senior TN Member

Question NGK not stock Denso Correct?

OK, just so I am clear Both NGK or Denso are great plags that work well in our direct ignition systems on the 3MZ-FE.

However if I found NGKs installed in my '04 HL V6 4WD, they were likely replaced some where along the line, correct?

If there is a posiblity the NGK's are OEM I will swap them out the Denso Iridiums I bought now at 106k, thanks.

post #13 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Official TN Member

OEM should be Denso, but if the previous owner changed them at 60k with the NGK (for whatever reason), you might as well go with your new Denso. Plus, are you certain they are iridium NGKs?

On the other hand, no need to put the new Densos in if the NGKs look good. They last as long as they last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlid View Post
OK, just so I am clear Both NGK or Denso are great plags that work well in our direct ignition systems on the 3MZ-FE.

However if I found NGKs installed in my '04 HL V6 4WD, they were likely replaced some where along the line, correct?

If there is a posiblity the NGK's are OEM I will swap them out the Denso Iridiums I bought now at 106k, thanks.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Senior TN Member

NGK Lazer Iridium Long Life IFR6A-11

Took the # down on them. The plugs in it look good they are NGK Lazer Iridium Long Lifes. The part # is IFR6A-11 which is a discontinued part now listed for the truck is IFR6T-11?? Looks like a chnage from one ground electrode to three??

If they were replaced at 60k then they only have 46k on them and the gap is still good. I will likely just leave the NGK's in and return the Denso's.

post #15 of 16 Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teppista881 View Post
NGK Iridium IX are excellent plugs, but they last about 60,000 miles, not 100k+ like the NGK Iridium long life.
Do they come pregapped? Or do I need to gap them!

Mobil 1 synthetic
Silverstar headlights
(upgrades to come)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 1st Generation (2001-2007)