Paint Protection Film - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 Forum Looking for RAV4 information and resources? This forum is the place.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By nhcycle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Paint Protection Film

Can paint protection film (http://www.toyota.com/rav4/accessori...ion/Exterior/4) be a worthwhile investment to retain good resale value of your car? In case you get into an accident, I think it will be money down the toilet, but I'm still considering it. Is this something that you can do in your home garage by yourself after watching some Youtube video, or should you get it installed at a dealer or bodyshop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
It does help protect but as an investment it depends on how much it costs right? Also how often does it have to be re-applied? Here's your answer on DIY:

The Toyota Genuine Accessory Warranty will only apply when the installation is performed by a trained, Toyota-approved installer. Please see dealer for details.

Two '08 V-6 with tow prep
One Base, One Limited
Both Front wheel drive
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Depending on your typical driving habits. If you drive a lot of highway it is a good investment as contemporary toyota paint is thinly applied and soft. Hence, prone to pitting and chipping from nominal road debris. If you drive mostly city.....mostly not necessary.

Installing it can be tricky but is a DIY project with an extra pair of hands to assist. To install hood, nose, fender and mirror kits will be around $325. One site that sells the kits has a goof policy that will send a replacement kit component for $10 or so.....last time i checked

I have installed many kits for family and myself with flawless outcomes.

Tips:

Clean all surfaces thoroughly.

keep the piece being applied thoroughly wet with the slip solution as you are positioning and tacking down the piece. As you will see, work out from the center of the piece and squeegee all the slip solution out to eliminate bubbles.

The pieces just don't lay down. You have to work the piece into valleys and over and around contours.

Keep your hands clean and wet with the slip solution and apply the film in a garaged area to prevent airborne contaminants from getting under the film.

Also, if you haven't already purchased the vehicle, negotiate the cost of the install as part,of the deal......$500 for the entire front is a reasonable price. Save the negotiation of the application last and make the application and price the deal make/break point of the deal...you'd be surprised how agreeable they will be to do it for $500 or less.

Keep in mind, the film is sold to the application companies in bulk at vey low cost and cut to order.....?translation .....lots of margin to negotiate with.

Good luck.

Last edited by nhcycle; 07-19-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Mixed feelings. I've looked at the wear on a couple of 4 year old RAVs. The most visible 'hit area' is the leading edge of the hood, just the 1/3 front. You could get just that part covered by a specialty shop for cheap to see what you think. Or like nhcycle does--it won't hurt to try it yourself, and you'll get a feel for the protection vs. the look of the plastic.

I went without the protection, so I have the typical tiny battle scars. If I had a black or dark blue RAV, I'd go for more protection. With my red, it is noticeable, but not that bad. For light colors, I wouldn't sweat it.

FWIW, and I don't put plastic over my lampshades or furniture, either, lol. I did put some 3M film my motorcycle wear areas and it does work, but eventually there is a line of dirt or buildup at the joint. When it finally flew away, I didn't replace it. Cleaning, polish and wax also provides protection and the film sometimes gets in the way, imo.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 04:42 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love clear films. I had an independent installer do the XPel install on my 2014 RAV just before moving from the east coast to Nevada. After washing the RAV upon arrival in NV the bugs came off pretty easy and there were no rock chips. Not a cheap install. About $700 for the RAV.

I also have it on my 5 yr old Cadillac CTS-V, as well as my previous 2004 CTS-V, and there are no rock chips on it either, or the 2004 when I sold it. I get the (partial) hood, frnt fenders and mirrors done.

As for accidents, the Cadillac got tweaked up front and the cost of replacing the clear protection was covered by insurance.

Watching the installer do his work convinced me that I'd never attempt it. Too many contours and angles to deal with. My installer went away to school for training and he wraps the edges rather than just make a cut at the edges. Makes for a really nice professional finished appearance with fewer edges for wax to collect.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldRoadDawg For This Useful Post:
krane (07-21-2014)
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate clear bras on cars. They are never clear and they are rarely installed very well. You'll spend hundreds of dollars to get a custom kit that actually looks nice, but then you will still get bubbles and peeling on the edges as it shrinks with age (as they will ALL do). I might say go ahead and wrap the bumper, but don't go up any higher than that. Get a deflector on the edge of the hood if you are concerned about hood chips, but no clear bra.

Regardless of what they say with how long they last, the clear bras only last 3 or 4 years TOPS. After that they will be hazed, yellowed, and generally look worse than your paint would have looked without it. Walk through a mall parking lot sometime and check out the clear bras you see on the cars. They aren't clear and many of them have issues which would warrant a replacement. I just can't say enough negative stuff about the clear bras. This is coming from nearly 2 decades detailing everything from Alfas to Volvos and I can tell you that they are rarely worth the investment. I'm a paint care nazi and I've never had a clear bra on any of my cars and have never regretted it.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDetails View Post
I hate clear bras on cars. They are never clear and they are rarely installed very well. You'll spend hundreds of dollars to get a custom kit that actually looks nice, but then you will still get bubbles and peeling on the edges as it shrinks with age (as they will ALL do). I might say go ahead and wrap the bumper, but don't go up any higher than that. Get a deflector on the edge of the hood if you are concerned about hood chips, but no clear bra.

Regardless of what they say with how long they last, the clear bras only last 3 or 4 years TOPS. After that they will be hazed, yellowed, and generally look worse than your paint would have looked without it. Walk through a mall parking lot sometime and check out the clear bras you see on the cars. They aren't clear and many of them have issues which would warrant a replacement. I just can't say enough negative stuff about the clear bras. This is coming from nearly 2 decades detailing everything from Alfas to Volvos and I can tell you that they are rarely worth the investment. I'm a paint care nazi and I've never had a clear bra on any of my cars and have never regretted it.
I have had PTF installed on several cars and have installed several myself and never experienced the issues you listed. To each their own preference.
OldRoadDawg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum