Need Tips on Roof Rack for 1994 Previa - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Previa Forum Discussion area for the (discontinued) Toyota Previa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-03-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Need Tips on Roof Rack for 1994 Previa

Hi,

I just found myself a clean 1994 Previa and I'm stoked! First step is getting some roof racks.

It has some type of factory side rails but nothing that I can attach a standard rack to. There are however little pop outs in the side rails which look like they could take some kind of rack attachment.

Any one have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-03-2019, 05:50 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What roof do you have? Do you have a sunroof/moonroof? What pop outs are you referring to? Might they be aftermarket and added by the previous owner?

I have a 1992 Toyota Previa LE with no roof rack and no sunroof/moonroof. The only suggestion that I have seen so far is to retrofit a roof rack from another vehicle, which is the most likely idea I will follow after since there is a salvage yard that sells them for about $25.

An aftermarket solution that I believe would work is Rhino Rack's RTV Tracks.

Here's a YouTube Video link to see how they install:

Besides that, I do not know of another simple or straightforward solution. There seems to be some roof racks that were sold outside of the US for non-US Previas that would probably work, but it may be difficult to source them to the US.

Here's a blog that showcases some roof rack options for Previas:
https://toyprevia.blogspot.com/2017/...ta-previa.html

As far as the Toyota OEM roof rack for the Previa there is the requirement to have rivets in the roof. I actually was dismantling a Toyota OEM roof rack and saw the rivets and did not know how I would install the rivets on my Previa, so I gave up on it. Now thinking back on it, I probably could have learned how to install rivets... I'll have to wait to find another Previa with a Toyota OEM roof rack.

As of now my best bet is to search the salvage yard and try to see if there's a roof rack I could retrofit onto my Previa. I was thinking that the first gen Toyota Sienna's roof rack may work. Or possibly the Honda Odyssey. Someone on ToyotaNation.com suggested an old Chevrolet Suburban roof rack, which I may look into.

I recently got my first Previa and I am truly loving this vehicle. Such a smooth ride and amazing handling for a vehicle of this size!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Previa Forum