12v ALTERNATIVE - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 6th Gen - Hybrid (2007-2011) Toyota Camry Hybrid Discussion for years 2007-2011.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
12v ALTERNATIVE

Credit goes to a CD poster howardc64

Looks like group 24 batteries are a perfect fit. Got one from Pep Boys (Bosch AGM 24) that measured 10" x 6.5" x 8" so identical to the Panasonic. The +- posts are in the exact same location as the Panasonic (group 24F (I guess F=flipped?) has the +- post reversed. Of course you can just turn the battery around but then the post will be further inwards in the compartment)

The group 24 installed perfectly in the Pep Boy's parking lot. The length is probably just a tad longer than the Panasonic and seem to not seat all the way to the bottom but pretty close. Once the L bracket goes on, its very firm and nothing moves.

The Bosch had a venting elbow on it (on the wrong side so I just swapped with the plug on the other side) Some batteries (Bosch AGM, Champion AGM) had them and some didn't. Looks like people just randomly pick them off as they need them.

For the temperature sensor, I used 2 zip ties to secure it against the L bracket. 1 to hold the white rubber sleeve the temp probe goes into. The other to prevent the round temp probe from sliding out of the rubber sleeve. See pics for reference.

Price was great. $195 - 25% instant rebate and another $40 master card rebate card so about $120+ when its all done.

Install pics here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEco9y7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2019, 03:19 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Credit goes to a CD poster howardc64

Looks like group 24 batteries are a perfect fit. Got one from Pep Boys (Bosch AGM 24) that measured 10" x 6.5" x 8" so identical to the Panasonic. The +- posts are in the exact same location as the Panasonic (group 24F (I guess F=flipped?) has the +- post reversed. Of course you can just turn the battery around but then the post will be further inwards in the compartment)

The group 24 installed perfectly in the Pep Boy's parking lot. The length is probably just a tad longer than the Panasonic and seem to not seat all the way to the bottom but pretty close. Once the L bracket goes on, its very firm and nothing moves.

The Bosch had a venting elbow on it (on the wrong side so I just swapped with the plug on the other side) Some batteries (Bosch AGM, Champion AGM) had them and some didn't. Looks like people just randomly pick them off as they need them.

For the temperature sensor, I used 2 zip ties to secure it against the L bracket. 1 to hold the white rubber sleeve the temp probe goes into. The other to prevent the round temp probe from sliding out of the rubber sleeve. See pics for reference.

Price was great. $195 - 25% instant rebate and another $40 master card rebate card so about $120+ when its all done.
Install pics here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEco9y7
OK, my 2009 TCH 12v is on the way out. If I check the vehicle signal diagnostic screen in the nav unit I get 11.6 v on ACC, 10.6v when ON, and 13.6-13.7 when running/ready. But that's only if I've driven it very recently. If I let it sit past 5-6 hours, I can't even get to the nav diagnostic check. Every time I flip the headlights on and off to bring up diagnostic menu. The whole system just reboots. However, the car seems to start to ready just fine for now.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any Pep Boys around me. Anyhow, today I was at Walmart getting 2 new front tires put on and decided to see what they had in stock. I found that they carry their EverStart Brand AGM batteries with a 5 year warranty for $150. Does anyone around here have any experience with this brand? Do any of you guys think that this would be sufficient to replace the OEM battery? Also, it looked like it had vents on both sides. Or at least I'll assume that's what those holes on each side by the handles are. It looked like they had a little pin way down in the hole like a Schrader valve for a tire. I'll post some pics that I took of a Group 65 that that I saw on the shelf. Checking online they have some in Group 24F HERE. I just don't know what values are sufficient for the TCH as far as cold cranking amps, reserve capacity, and amp hours. And help and info is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_121202793.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	934.6 KB
ID:	242810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_121215855.jpg
Size:	829.0 KB
ID:	242812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_121157848.jpg
Size:	958.9 KB
ID:	242814  

Last edited by no1b4me72; 06-14-2019 at 03:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to no1b4me72 For This Useful Post:
ukrkoz (06-14-2019)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-14-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
More than sufficient. Have at it. 12V you have does ZERO cranking. So this battery will last you years.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
no1b4me72 (06-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-14-2019, 03:59 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
More than sufficient. Have at it. 12V you have does ZERO cranking. So this battery will last you years.

Thanks for the quick reply ukrkoz. The pics I posted were from a group 65, which I assume is a larger battery. So the sticker info might not be accurate for the group 24. From everything I've read, I know the cold cranking amps don't matter that much. However, what reserve capacity and amp hours would be sufficient? Before I buy it I want to make sure that it's the correct capacity.

Also, I know that the vent holes aren't all that important either, but do those look like they actually are vent holes? The group 24 might not even have them. But if it does, it might be another decent alternative for future forum people looking for TCH 12v alternatives.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Crank IS IRRELEVANT. This battery is NOT used for starting. So you should not be concerned with any cranking spec.
That battery is used aS POWER STORAGE FOR COMPUTERS, SOME OTHER ELECTRONICS. tHUS, POWER DEMAND IS RATHER VERY LOW AND YOU WILL BE FINE WITH THOSE SPECS.
Ooops, sorry, forgot caps were on. Or, finger hit Caps again.
I can't really tell from pictures if those are vent holes or not but, that being AGM, it will produce little to none hydrogene. Add to this it being in the trunk and trunk is not sealed tight, so little hydrogen or other gasses produced during normal function, will simply dissipate into the air.

Make sure to GENTLY transfer temperature sensor from your original battery to the new one and then tape it in place or else somehow secure it. It peals off the battery with minor effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
no1b4me72 (Yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid > Camry 6th Gen - Hybrid (2007-2011)