Any advice on a Factory Order? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 8th Gen - Hybrid (2018+) Toyota Camry Hybrid Discussion for years 2018+.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokey View Post
once upon a time you could do pretty much anything with an american car. I bought a Pontiac in '81 and onfigured sort 1/2 highest end and 1/2 lowest end (e.g. most expensive sport bucket seats vs no wheel covers actual hubcaps). Dealer quipped that I'd better take delivery because he wouldn't be able to sell the car to anyone else.

It's too bad these days with all the information systems, automation, and connectivity that the manufacturers provide less service.
As you mentioned, dealers don't like it, because it puts too much risk on them.

The only thing that I would like customized is to be able to buy a nicely equipped vehicle without a sunroof. I had a 1998 Camry V6 XLE (top trim level at the time), but they came with or without sunroofs back then. I needed the extra inch of headroom, and it creates a quandary for me every time I buy a new vehicle because sunroof is standard on top trim levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdriver View Post
I was told by my Toyota dealer, and have heard this elsewhere as well, that it is virtually impossible to place a factory order for anything. If it's not on the dealers lot, and their distributor doesn't have the model/color/trim level you want, they will search other dealers for it, and that's it. You can wait a few months and see what become available, but there is no other way to do it.
Difficult only in that:
The lot jockeys can't do it on their own.
The sales manager doesn't want to do it, because it is likely that the sale won't go through.
The fleet manager can do it.

So first you have to get to the fleet manager, which is not hard, but I've been lied to by regular sales guys who claimed to be "fleet managers"

There are different specific cutoff dates for orders for the current model year. These dates vary by model, as they are tied to production line schedules. It is possible that the production line for some 2019 models has already stopped adding new cars. This would be likely for models that will see a facelift or remodel for 2020, such as the Highlander.
OTOH, it may be possible to order a 2019 Corolla or Camry in May or June.
https://fleet.toyota.com/ftc/public/...ailability.htm

Yep... Camry can be ordered until May 10. 2019 Corolla is done... 2020 can be ordered (including the hybrid), but pricing won't be out until April.
Highlander is good until August.

Even fleet will TRY to find what you want at another local dealer... it's faster, they are less likely to lose the sale (and make you happy). The first rule of sales is not to let the customer out of your sight until the deal is closed. If you go home intending to come back in 2 months to pick up your new car, they know that there is a very good chance that you'll buy something else and now they'll be stuck with your special order. New vehicle purchases are extremely impulsive for the majority of people. They may do research, but when they make up their mind, they want it to happen NOW, and this does not work in the dealer's favor if they are looking at a 2 month wait on your new car.

-- Rich

post #18 of 24 Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
agree about the sunroof. got the same problem. or I did before old age and demon gravity started shrinking about 2 inches so far. Never saw much use for a sunroof anyway. If I want the outdoors, I'll hop on one of my bikes and start pedalling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 Old 01-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
I like the option. Though I rarely use it... I find I use it more often on warm summer nights than during the day.
I also crack it open on hot days to allow the heat to vent from the cabin. It helps on a dark car.

-- Rich

post #20 of 24 Old 05-13-2019, 02:54 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
Difficult only in that:
The lot jockeys can't do it on their own.
The sales manager doesn't want to do it, because it is likely that the sale won't go through.
The fleet manager can do it.

So first you have to get to the fleet manager, which is not hard, but I've been lied to by regular sales guys who claimed to be "fleet managers"

There are different specific cutoff dates for orders for the current model year. These dates vary by model, as they are tied to production line schedules. It is possible that the production line for some 2019 models has already stopped adding new cars. This would be likely for models that will see a facelift or remodel for 2020, such as the Highlander.
OTOH, it may be possible to order a 2019 Corolla or Camry in May or June.
https://fleet.toyota.com/ftc/public/...ailability.htm

Yep... Camry can be ordered until May 10. 2019 Corolla is done... 2020 can be ordered (including the hybrid), but pricing won't be out until April.
Highlander is good until August.

Even fleet will TRY to find what you want at another local dealer... it's faster, they are less likely to lose the sale (and make you happy). The first rule of sales is not to let the customer out of your sight until the deal is closed. If you go home intending to come back in 2 months to pick up your new car, they know that there is a very good chance that you'll buy something else and now they'll be stuck with your special order. New vehicle purchases are extremely impulsive for the majority of people. They may do research, but when they make up their mind, they want it to happen NOW, and this does not work in the dealer's favor if they are looking at a 2 month wait on your new car.

Hi, thanks for this info!

do you know if it is possible to add a package to a factory order for a car after May 10th if the order was been secured by May 10 but not yet built?
post #21 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4orcamry View Post
do you know if it is possible to add a package to a factory order for a car after May 10th if the order was been secured by May 10 but not yet built?
Most likely not, as the paperwork is in production whether or not the car has been built.
I ordered a guitar body from Warmoth, 2 days later asked for a change. Even though they quoted a 6-week lead time, the change still cost me $75.

It won't hurt to ask the rep who placed your order.

-- Rich

post #22 of 24 Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
Most likely not, as the paperwork is in production whether or not the car has been built.
I ordered a guitar body from Warmoth, 2 days later asked for a change. Even though they quoted a 6-week lead time, the change still cost me $75.

It won't hurt to ask the rep who placed your order.

So the rep says when he tries to add the Driver's Assist package in the computer without a moonroof that it's not possible, and he took a picture of the error message displayed by the computer.

I spoke with another dealer whose inventory manager (not sure if that's the same as the fleet manager) said he would call the regional rep and ask.

Are the fleet managers at the dealer level or the regional level?
post #23 of 24 Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Official TN Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
So the rep says when he tries to add the Driver's Assist package in the computer without a moonroof that it's not possible, and he took a picture of the error message displayed by the computer.
When we purchased our 2018 Camry Hybrid LE, we could not order the Rear Cross Traffic Alert feature without ordering a package that included the moonroof. No dealer could order just the Rear Cross Traffic Alert by itself, so we ended up with a moonroof that we didn't want.

But, the car has been great and we just added CarPlay to it, so it is even better now.
post #24 of 24 Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
I spoke with another dealer whose inventory manager (not sure if that's the same as the fleet manager) said he would call the regional rep and ask.
Are the fleet managers at the dealer level or the regional level?
The fleet managers are dealer employees. Generally, they have good relationships with the managers of other dealerships in the area and will try to trade inventory to make a deal if they can do that to get you what you want without waiting for a special order.
Some parts of the country may have a specific regional manager... I'm sure Gulf States and Southeast Toyota are run completely differently from how it is run outside of those areas.

-- Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid > Camry 8th Gen - Hybrid (2018+)