Radar cruise and cars behind you - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 8th Gen - Hybrid (2018+) Toyota Camry Hybrid Discussion for years 2018+.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Radar cruise and cars behind you

I love the radar cruise feature, but I do find that in stop and go traffic, and occasionally at expressway speeds, the brakes are applied quickly. In the case of cars travelling close behind you, this can be unnerving for the Camry owner, as there is no easy way to tell if you brake lights ahve gone on or the car is just being quickly slowed by the regen braking system.
M<y cure for this minor anxiety was to take a short audio optical cable and slip one end between the upper brake light and the window and the other end pointed towards the front of the car and any location that is suitable to be viewed in the rear view mirror. It can alos just be pointed at the rear windshield (especially if tinted) as it will reflect brightly and can then be seen in the rear view mirror.
When I first drove with the radar cruise, I was unsure when the brakes were being applied and that was un-nerving. No more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Isn't it disengaged at low speeds? I know at least one make disengages it at speeds below 30mph. So it should not work in stop and go traffic.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Radar Cruise

Actually on the 2019 Camry SE Hybrid (and probably all other Camrys with Dynamic Radar Cruise), it functions all the way down to 0kmph.
I was pleasantly surprised, as I spend a lot of time on expressways that go from 120kmph all the way down to 0.
This cruise feature has removed virtually all my stress (except for the brake light issue which I had to address).
Once the car stops at 0kmph, it requires an accelerator hit to get it going again, but if the traffic is moving at all (even at 2kmph), the dynamic radar cruise keeps you moving with adequate space behind the car in front.
There are days when I have gone over 30km after setting the cruise where I have not had to hit the brake at all - even in the part of the trip that was stop-and-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Isn't it disengaged at low speeds? I know at least one make disengages it at speeds below 30mph. So it should not work in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by montrealmountain; 06-07-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I am confident that Toyota considered this when they designed their first hybrid. I *presume* that the brake lights come on whenever you cross a certain threshold of deceleration, regardless of whether it's because you hit the brakes, or because the regen braking kicked in. Any other behavior would be dumb.

My bigger concern is when a gap opens up the car accelerates like a bat out of hell (OK, maybe not quite that bad, but harder than I would in the same circumstances). I could imagine someone trying to merge into the new gap right as my car accelerates to fill it - instant unintended road rage
post #5 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There are two different types of "automatic" cruise control systems... Adaptive and Dynamic.
The SE/LE models only have the basic that disengages at 30mph.
The XSE/XLE models can be optioned with the full monty, which will run all the way down to a stop and accelerate.

-- Rich

post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Great Point!
I agree with the "merge" problem as you mentioned. I think that Toyota should widen the "radar" acceptance angle to handle that occurrence. It is truly a bit disconcerting - I have had this happen a few times and had to hit the brakes quickly. I believe that a software modification to detect a merge within x feet of the front of the car coming in from an angle should not be too hard to program...
Hopefully it will be addressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenglish View Post
I am confident that Toyota considered this when they designed their first hybrid. I *presume* that the brake lights come on whenever you cross a certain threshold of deceleration, regardless of whether it's because you hit the brakes, or because the regen braking kicked in. Any other behavior would be dumb.

My bigger concern is when a gap opens up the car accelerates like a bat out of hell (OK, maybe not quite that bad, but harder than I would in the same circumstances). I could imagine someone trying to merge into the new gap right as my car accelerates to fill it - instant unintended road rage
post #7 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Oh buy Tesla with autopilot....

post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Not sure of what they do in the US, but the Canadian Version of the SE Hybrid has the full Dynamic Cruise (thankfully). It is so hard to clearly understand the brochures as to what has what, that the buyer is typically in a state of darkness when he gets the car and after reading the book (if any do) and experimenting with the features, finally figures out what they have. I think that it took me a week to figure out that the car actually had dynamic cruise all the way to zero - what a great feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid > Camry 8th Gen - Hybrid (2018+)