Fighting subtle forces in steering wheel - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 5th Generation (2019+) Forum dedicated to the discussion of most recent, 5th generation RAV4

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ordered Chaos
  • 1 Post By Quickdtoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-04-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Fighting subtle forces in steering wheel

Hi,
I drove my 2019 Rav4 to work for the first time yesterday. It's about 55 miles one way, and I do 80 when I can. I found myself constantly fighting with some unnatural force in the steering. It wasn't the road, it was like a torque-steering issue or some automatic steering issue. There would be this slight pressure for the wheel to turn one way or the other. Say it was trying to turn to the right, as I applied more pressure, it would suddenly relent, and the car would steer slightly to the left. Then there would be a slight pressure to turn to the left, and I'd fight it to turn to the right - and so on for mile after mile. It's not causing me do drive dangerously, but it's driving me nuts. I want to feel the road in the steering wheel, not some over-active control mechanism.

Is this a known problem? I found someone complaining about the same problem with a 2017 (an another forum). If it can't be fixed then I'll be looking for the first opportunity to get rid of the car without taking a huge loss.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 07:02 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2019 RAV4, it has similar handling at highway speeds. It fells like the car is hunting for a path on a road cupped where the tires receptively travel. Some days the wind seems to have the same effect. I noticed a big improvement when using the steering assist button .
The Following User Says Thank You to UphillRace For This Useful Post:
2019Limited (04-05-2019)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 12:21 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019Limited View Post
Hi,
I drove my 2019 Rav4 to work for the first time yesterday. It's about 55 miles one way, and I do 80 when I can. I found myself constantly fighting with some unnatural force in the steering. It wasn't the road, it was like a torque-steering issue or some automatic steering issue. There would be this slight pressure for the wheel to turn one way or the other. Say it was trying to turn to the right, as I applied more pressure, it would suddenly relent, and the car would steer slightly to the left. Then there would be a slight pressure to turn to the left, and I'd fight it to turn to the right - and so on for mile after mile. It's not causing me do drive dangerously, but it's driving me nuts. I want to feel the road in the steering wheel, not some over-active control mechanism.

Is this a known problem? I found someone complaining about the same problem with a 2017 (an another forum). If it can't be fixed then I'll be looking for the first opportunity to get rid of the car without taking a huge loss.

Any help is appreciated.
I hated this. You need to turn down or off the steering assist within the LTA (Lane Trace Assist) settings menu in the dash MID. There are 2 levels of assist sensitivity or you can just turn it off like I did.

To see if it’s on, just toggle the LTA button on the steering wheel right spoke. It’s the icon with a car leaving the lane by the cruise control distance button. Turn it off and then on and it will tell you if steering assist is active.
Fbara likes this.

Last edited by Ordered Chaos; 04-05-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Corrected 3 levels to 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Ordered Chaos For This Useful Post:
2019Limited (04-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated.

I suggest you read the owner's manual, there are a lot of safety nannys that you need to know about and likely want to disable/change sensitivity like LTA (lane tracing assist) which may be what's causing your problem, if the turn signals aren't active, it's not going to want to change lanes and will fight you just as you describe.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM0R009U.pdf
cb91710 likes this.

2019 Rav4 XLE Premium AWD
https://www.rav4world.com/forums

The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
2019Limited (04-05-2019)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 PM
2015 Corolla S Premium

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
There would be this slight pressure for the wheel to turn one way or the other.

Relax. There are two options that will "turn your wheel for you:"

It certainly sounds like you're experiencing the "Lane Tracing Assist" function. This will literally "drive your car for you" to a limited extent, though of course you need to keep your hands on the wheel, and so on. I have tended to refer to this as "Cylon mode," as especially on the freeway, the car seems to drive to the left edge of the lane, and then to the right edge of the lane, back and forth, all the time.

The other function is the "Steering Assist" function, which will just "push the car back into the lane" if you get too close (or over) the line on the side of a lane.

I say "Relax," because you can absolutely, most definitely TURN THEM OFF.

Of course, these are all described in great detail in the owner's manual. But, that thing is so dense, I just spent about ten minutes looking for the part that tells you how to turn these thing on and off, and I still didn't get to it yet. This is a pretty good example of the "studying" you really need to do in order to understand everything that's going on with this vehicle.

So, nevermind the "owner's manual" at this point, and just go to the "Quick Reference Guide." I would suggest you go straight to the "Toyota Safety Sense" section, which gives you good descriptions of all of these "safety" functions. That starts on Page 36. This section not only goes through those systems, but also shows you the buttons -- all on your steering wheel -- that you use to both turn these things on and off, and to change settings for them. You might also have a look at the steering wheel control diagram on Page 2 of the Quick Reference Guide, which might help you visualize these buttons.

In the end, there's a button on the right side of the steering wheel that turns both of these functions on or off. And then you can go through a bunch of settings with a control on the left that lets you choose options for these functions, and many others. I would just recommend starting with turning these things off with the button on the right side, and then play with any other settings once you've had a chance to do a bit of studying. But, turning those functions off will probably take care of the issue you described, "just like that."

Good luck!

thoots
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thoots For This Useful Post:
2019Limited (04-05-2019), Thornezilla (05-19-2019)
post #6 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you to all who replied.
Quickdtoo, you are so right, though I may start with the "Quick reference guide". (Thanx thoots!)

Somewhat embarrassed and amused, I'm actually looking forward to the next freeway drive.
Kudos to all, for your help and patience.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Relax. There are two options that will "turn your wheel for you:"

Of course, these are all described in great detail in the owner's manual. But, that thing is so dense, I just spent about ten minutes looking for the part that tells you how to turn these thing on and off, and I still didn't get to it yet. This is a pretty good example of the "studying" you really need to do in order to understand everything that's going on with this vehicle.

So, nevermind the "owner's manual" at this point, and just go to the "Quick Reference Guide." I would suggest you go straight to the "Toyota Safety Sense" section, which gives you good descriptions of all of these "safety" functions. That starts on Page 36. This section not only goes through those systems, but also shows you the buttons -- all on your steering wheel -- that you use to both turn these things on and off, and to change settings for them. You might also have a look at the steering wheel control diagram on Page 2 of the Quick Reference Guide, which might help you visualize these buttons.

Good luck!
I have found all the owners manuals, once downloaded in PDF files, to be very easy to search for whatever phrase your researching. Let the computer software do the work for you!

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...uals/rav4/2019

2019 Limited Ruby Flare Pearl / Cognac, with Advanced Safety Package
The Following User Says Thank You to dklanecky For This Useful Post:
2019Limited (04-08-2019)
post #8 of 12 Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new acquisition. I have a 2019 Rav4 LE AWD. I decided to turn off those features too. It was interesting to begin with but got annoying pretty quickly. It’s a really nice drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to keepitkarara For This Useful Post:
2019Limited (04-08-2019)
post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same here

Quote:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated.
Had the same thing on my drive home from dealership but noticed that by using my turn signal before lane changes would not give me the light resistance on steering, will take the advice of those here and will turn it off.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-21-2019, 12:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepecorote View Post
Had the same thing on my drive home from dealership but noticed that by using my turn signal before lane changes would not give me the light resistance on steering, will take the advice of those here and will turn it off.
My salesman had told me somehow it knows.....so if you have your left lane change blinker on and you actually change lanes to the left it won't correct you and you won't get the warning beeps...so it essentially knows your intent based on the blinker.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Using the turn signals temporarily disables LDA and LTA, otherwise it would just try to steer you back into your lane when you want to make a lane change. I disabled it after working with it for a couple months, it's just not reliable, works great sometimes, doesn't work worth a crap other times, they're more of a nuisance than a help IMO.

2019 Rav4 XLE Premium AWD
https://www.rav4world.com/forums

post #12 of 12 Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 PM
WEG
New TN User

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I drove a rental 2019 with LTA enabled for a couple hundred miles on I-90 in South Dakota yesterday. Simply horrible is the only way to describe it. Because it was very windy, the LTA fought me relentlessly as the wind pushed the vehicle around slightly in the lane. It constantly tried to force me to drive too-far-left, or too-far-right in the lane. As I would pass large trucks or continuous bridge abutments it would try to draw me closer to the object. At all times, it was trying to force me out of the natural groove of the lane, such that the wheels on one side were atop the center crown of the lane. This LTA feature is worse than garbage. It’s turned off now for the remainder of the week I will be using this vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum > RAV4 5th Generation (2019+)