Is it just me, or the 2019 Avalon isn't selling well at all? - Page 19 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 5th Generation (2019+) Specific discussion of the fifth generation Toyota Avalon

129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 371 Old 05-23-2019, 02:13 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yes, sales are horrible for the 5th Gen compared to the 4th Gen. Now I know why my salesperson said the ‘19 HV would be rare.

Current: 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited Wind Chill Pearl/Cognac with ASP
Former: 2016 Lexus RX 350 Obsidian/Parchment

Last edited by 19TAHL; 06-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 371 Old 05-25-2019, 02:14 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I picked up my Avalon Limited Hybrid with Advanced Safety last Saturday, and I think it is a great car. I came from two Lexus ES300h's and am very pleased with my purchase.

Usually when one gets a new car, you begin to see other versions of it on the road. Other than one I saw in Tucson in March, I have not seen another Avalon of any trim level (other than on a dealer lot). Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jonmanch
post #273 of 371 Old 05-25-2019, 04:39 PM
arh
Senior TN Member

Location: NW Illinois, 1/2 mile from Packerland in the country
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanch View Post
Usually when one gets a new car, you begin to see other versions of it on the road. Other than one I saw in Tucson in March, I have not seen another Avalon of any trim level (other than on a dealer lot). Is anyone else experiencing this?

That's why this thread started.

Congrats on the new car.

2014 Avalon XLE Premium/NAV V6(Winter car)
2019 Avalon Limited/Advanced Safety Package V6(Summer car)

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 371 Old 05-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Avalon Owner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Shortly after I bought my 2019 Avalon in August 2018 we made a 1000 mile round-trip to Northern NY and back. Saw one on the way up and two more on the way back as we crossed PA on I81.

I usually see at least one a month while driving in the Northern Virginia area. Two people in the neighborhood also have 2019 Limiteds they got after the first of the year. So far, mine is the only one I've seen on the road that is Harbor Gray Metallic.

2019 Avalon Limited
Harbor Gray Metallic - Gray Interior
post #275 of 371 Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I picked up my Avalon Limited Hybrid with Advanced Safety last Saturday, and I think it is a great car. I came from two Lexus ES300h's and am very pleased with my purchase.

I see two on the road locally. Both were bought early in the model year. Local dealerships (3) have 22 Avalons currently in stock, and the place that takes care of my 2011 has some nice incentives on offer. On the other hand, this end of town is overrun with new Highlanders.
post #276 of 371 Old 05-27-2019, 03:54 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I understand that many people are buying SUV's but I haven't seen even one Avalon in 9 days. It is such a great car, I don't know why I haven't seen even one. In my case, dealers around here would not trade Avalons with other dealers if the car was a particular color (mine is Wind Chill Pearl) or have the Advanced Safety Package, but they still can't sell what they have. I had to rive over 100 miles to pick up mine.

I know this is the wrong thread for this; however, I have found that the new SAT radio and/or the JBL sound system works great. I am able to drive the entire length of the Lincoln Tunnel into NYC from NJ and never lose the SAT signal. My 2016 Lexus ES300h and my wife's 2017 Lexus RX450h can't do that. The receiver is also able to keep a station where there were dead zones around her that my other cars encountered. Anyone else have this good luck?

Jonmanch

Last edited by jonmanch; 05-28-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #277 of 371 Old 05-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:

Bear up!! I am having a hard time believing that there are new avalons in tucson. LOL

J/k
post #278 of 371 Old 05-28-2019, 08:32 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have had mine for about two months I think. I have not seen any others let alone a Touring in the Portland Area and I drive about 2-3hrs a day. I am OK with that bc it makes my car unique. I am sure they are out there just haven't seen them. I'm driving the Black Swan I guess.

19 Avalon Touring Adv Safety Parisian Graphite
19 Highlander Platinum
08 Camry LE
Sold
05 Camry LE, 02 Camry, 92 Paseo
post #279 of 371 Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 PM
straight cash homie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeman View Post
I have had mine for about two months I think. I have not seen any others let alone a Touring in the Portland Area and I drive about 2-3hrs a day. I am OK with that bc it makes my car unique. I am sure they are out there just haven't seen them. I'm driving the Black Swan I guess.
Portlandia? I think of Prius and Subaru being the most popular there.
post #280 of 371 Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
Portlandia? I think of Prius and Subaru being the most popular there.
Yeah that's about right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

19 Avalon Touring Adv Safety Parisian Graphite
19 Highlander Platinum
08 Camry LE
Sold
05 Camry LE, 02 Camry, 92 Paseo
post #281 of 371 Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
traditionally Camry was the default car, ES the car for status fiends and Avalon for rich folks in retirement communities ...

Camry and ES are still that and still sell ( sure they lost some to SUVs but they sell well for their class of vehicle )

Avalon though lost its way ... it is too expensive and not sporty enough to go after Nissan Maxima crowd and too cramped and not luxurious enough to convince the traditional Avalon buyer ...

it also doesn't help that Lexus ES is beautiful inside and out and has better lease deals than Avalon due to having better resale value ...

it also doesn't help that you can get much of what Avalon offers ( like Ventilated seats and a choice of performance or hybrid drivetrains ) in a Honda Accord Touring for a lot less money ...

between Camry, ES and Accord ( all excellent cars ) it's a tight squeeze ...

why is panoramic roof standard on Camry V6 but not available on Avalon in any trim ?

in my opinion it is NOT the grille that is driving people away ... it's that with the squashed roofline Avalon now competes not with LaCrosse but with Maxima and Accord and it's priced too high to compete with them ...

Toyota already realized their mistake and is offering steep discounts but without good lease offers the sales will remain low ...

perhaps Toyota is OK with this ... perhaps they want Avalon to remain the exclusive choice and anybody who wants value can go for the Camry ...

but i think it would have been smarter to take some sales from Maxima and Accord Touring by offering good leases on the Avalon ... but Toyota is afraid if they did this they would hurt the ES sales ...

or perhaps if you consider that current gen Camry is bigger than previous gen Avalon it shouldn't be surprising at all that there simply isn't as much space left ABOVE the Camry for the Avalon ...

finally advertisement is a factor - Camry ads on TV all the time and i seen ES ads on TV as well but not Avalon ads ... granted i haven't had a TV in over a decade but my gym has plenty of TVs ...

Last edited by g1981c; 06-05-2019 at 05:42 AM.
post #282 of 371 Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Very interesting comments. I drove the Accord Touring and Camry XLS V6 back to back. What I didnt like about the Camry was interior room and the Panoramic roof that only goes back about 2/3 of the way and lots of wind noise when open.. Trans clunked when shifting, no cooled seats.. Did have a Good stereo and a real gear shifter. The Accord was bigger inside, horrible button shifter, very low stance, great 10 speed trans, and a big back seat and trunk. Going to look at an Avalon Touring W/ Safety package. Stereo should be good, Apple Car Play, and a regular Sun-roof which I like. Seems to check all the boxes, gotta see if its comfortable and not too low of a roof line. I had a 98 Avalon years ago and hated it. I'm thinking I will like the Touring a lot more. $ 3,000 factory rebate helps too...
post #283 of 371 Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1981c View Post
Avalon though lost its way ... it is too expensive and not sporty enough to go after Nissan Maxima crowd and too cramped and not luxurious enough to convince the traditional Avalon buyer
Interesting perspective, I am an ex-Maxima owner, had 2, a GLE from 1995, and a SE in 2000. Both went well over 200,000 miles with the great Nissan V-6 and a standard automatic transmission.

I wouldn't even consider a Maxima anymore once they went to the CVT transmission. Simply not sporty in any way (IMO). I also considered the Honda Accord Touring, but was scared away by the Turbo engine, and the obvious issues Honda is having with gasoline in their engine from the Turbos.

It's my opinion (I know I'm a dinosaur) that CVT's are only for the manufacturers to increase their MPG's by a couple, and as they are cheaper to build, and will cost the consumer a lot more to replace (generally not repairable) when they die.

With the average age of vehicles on the road being ~12 years old, these CVT's are going to be expensive.

2019 Limited Ruby Flare Pearl / Cognac, with Advanced Safety Package
post #284 of 371 Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklanecky View Post
Interesting perspective, I am an ex-Maxima owner, had 2, a GLE from 1995, and a SE in 2000. Both went well over 200,000 miles with the great Nissan V-6 and a standard automatic transmission.

I wouldn't even consider a Maxima anymore once they went to the CVT transmission. Simply not sporty in any way (IMO). I also considered the Honda Accord Touring, but was scared away by the Turbo engine, and the obvious issues Honda is having with gasoline in their engine from the Turbos.

It's my opinion (I know I'm a dinosaur) that CVT's are only for the manufacturers to increase their MPG's by a couple, and as they are cheaper to build, and will cost the consumer a lot more to replace (generally not repairable) when they die.

With the average age of vehicles on the road being ~12 years old, these CVT's are going to be expensive.
Time marches on. I’m old enough to remember the arguments from the contrarians/naysayers about automatic transmissions, seatbelts, DRLs, I-4s, V6s, diesels (in the US), radial tires, non-leaded gas, turbos, gasohol, ABS, halogen/HID/LED/Laser upcoming headlights, hybrids, CVTs, EVs, fuel cells, and self-driving vehicles. Everyone has an opinion, which they are entitled to in this country, at least for now.
g1981c likes this.

Last edited by 19TAHL; 06-05-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #285 of 371 Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM
New TN User

Sorry, but I have to laugh when someone mentions “trade-in” value of automobiles. Anyone in the auto business knows deprecation is: 20% the 1st year, and then 15% a year thereafter until the car is worthless as a trade. This rule of thumb applies to any mass produced automobile. BTW, that extra 5% the first year is the profit the dealership made, regardless of the “great deal” you got. That is why the salesperson will always ask what you think your car is worth. Your answer tells him or her how much extra profit they’re going to make. You can’t beat the house at their own game.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 5th Generation (2019+)