Is it just me, or the 2019 Avalon isn't selling well at all? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 5th Generation (2019+) Specific discussion of the fifth generation Toyota Avalon

98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 317 Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Is it just me, or the 2019 Avalon isn't selling well at all?

I have literally seen only two 2019 Avalon's on the road. I see a lot of dealers are making down the prices on them. IS the Toyota Avalon really not selling well? I guess leasing it would be bad in this day and age of full size cars not selling well. It's a nice looking car, but it sits a bit too low for me being 6'4''... What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 317 Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
I believe the XLE and Limited models should sell well once middle and senior aged buyers hear about how much the ride, handling and seat comfort have improved on the base and Limited models. But that could take a year, two or three because right now these buyers - based on their experiences with the 4th gen Avalon - associate the Avalon name with a car that rides hard and has small, hard seats.

I don't believe the boy-racer Avalon XSE will ever sell well because sub-35 year olds will not want to be seen in a grandpa car that's been dressed up to look sporty. Plus they don't have good enough credit to qualify for a $35+ K car loan at today's interest rates.
Kadena likes this.
post #3 of 317 Old 07-22-2018, 01:07 AM
straight cash homie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3689 Post(s)
Supreme Member
I too have yet to notice any 2019s on the road yet...like you said, the market isn't great because people are buying SUVs, probably not many deals to be had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 317 Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 AM
straight cash homie

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post
I don't believe the boy-racer Avalon XSE will ever sell well because sub-35 year olds will not want to be seen in a grandpa car that's been dressed up to look sporty. Plus they don't have good enough credit to qualify for a $35+ K car loan at today's interest rates.
35 year olds can afford $35k cars, but I doubt Avalons will be at the top of their wish list when they can lease luxury cars and/or buy Subaru WRXs and the like at the price point.
post #5 of 317 Old 07-22-2018, 07:27 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
I've seen only one avalon on the road. I fairly often see what I think is an avalon and only by reading text at the back realize it's a camry. The differentiation is minimal in the exterior.

The two at my dealership displayed prominently as one walks in were there for many weeks as of last time I drove by.

I like the 19 avalon but I as i already said in another thread (or two), Toyota lost me this gen because they were asking for luxury+ lease rates on a Toyota, so I'm already out of Toyota for at least three more years. The lease offerings on this a month or two ago were pathetic.
post #6 of 317 Old 07-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
seats hardly comfortable,

I checked one out a few weeks ago, sat in it & noticed the seats were hardly comfortable and got out.
Not for me, seats in my 2011 HL limited way more comfortable. Maybe seats are strictly individual preference but
the brand new avalon felt like the seat bottom has less than 1" padding on seatbottom, like the camrys........

[B]K.P.

2006 Camry LE 2.4L
15th or 20th toyota
post #7 of 317 Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawaz87 View Post
I have literally seen only two 2019 Avalon's on the road. I see a lot of dealers are making down the prices on them. IS the Toyota Avalon really not selling well? I guess leasing it would be bad in this day and age of full size cars not selling well. It's a nice looking car, but it sits a bit too low for me being 6'4''... What are your thoughts?

Has Toyota actually launched the car? I see a Toyota ad on TV every 15 minutes and the Avalon isn't mentioned in any of them. And, other than reviews from the preview party, I haven't seen any detailed hands on reviews.

I've gotten many compliments on mine (Limited) and have grown to love it except for a few details. I was able to get about 10% off the sticker price and that was weeks ago. And they gave me all of the dealer adds ... window tint, etc. for free. It was the last week of the quarter which may have had something to do with it. Also, the trade in amount exceeded expectations. Not the best deal in the world but it only took a little time to close the deal via emails.

Personally, I like the drive, ride and tech much better than the '15 Genesis I traded.

I've seen 3 out on the road and I don't drive around very much.

Last edited by drewaz; 07-22-2018 at 05:53 PM.
post #8 of 317 Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
It is not surprising to me that 2019 Avalon sales may be low. Toyota had a choice. Fix the few comfort issues on the 4th Gen and regain the older traditional buyer, or make the car more "sporty" to appeal to younger buyers. They tried to do both and I think will find that they have accomplished neither. Tradition buyers can't tolerate it and younger buyers don't find it appealing.
molson.david and Kadena like this.

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited
2018 Cadillac XT5
post #9 of 317 Old 07-23-2018, 09:22 AM
BeerSteakTxas

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,003 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den49 View Post
It is not surprising to me that 2019 Avalon sales may be low. Toyota had a choice. Fix the few comfort issues on the 4th Gen and regain the older traditional buyer, or make the car more "sporty" to appeal to younger buyers. They tried to do both and I think will find that they have accomplished neither. Tradition buyers can't tolerate it and younger buyers don't find it appealing.
Yes, but we need to remember that the 2019 model has been on the market for only a few months and unlike the corolla-camry price range cars the avalon is not an affordable and mass selling car and in the past month Toyota sold 2996 Avalons which is 476 more vs June of 2017.
Personally I'm not impressed with the car and so far the Avalon sales numbers are much lower compared to 2013 when the Gen 4 was launched (back in 2013 they sold 7099 units in May and 6526 in June), but who knows, maybe it's exactly what potential buyers want.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
post #10 of 317 Old 07-23-2018, 12:50 PM
straight cash homie

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
Yes, but we need to remember that the 2019 model has been on the market for only a few months and unlike the corolla-camry price range cars the avalon is not an affordable and mass selling car and in the past month Toyota sold 2996 Avalons which is 476 more vs June of 2017.
Personally I'm not impressed with the car and so far the Avalon sales numbers are much lower compared to 2013 when the Gen 4 was launched (back in 2013 they sold 7099 units in May and 6526 in June), but who knows, maybe it's exactly what potential buyers want.
How many units did you expect them to sell?

Its a tougher market now than it was 5 years ago. New Camry, plus SUVs that are more in demand, it's no less than a challenge to sell a full-sizer these days even with incentives. Also, there's less traditional sedan buyers as well. Don't forget, the new ES is also around the corner.
post #11 of 317 Old 07-23-2018, 05:01 PM
BeerSteakTxas

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
How many units did you expect them to sell?

Its a tougher market now than it was 5 years ago. New Camry, plus SUVs that are more in demand, it's no less than a challenge to sell a full-sizer these days even with incentives. Also, there's less traditional sedan buyers as well. Don't forget, the new ES is also around the corner.
The market always been tough on full size "entry luxury" sedans and even with adjustment on "tougher than it was 5 years ago" the 2019 Avalon is still selling pretty slow. Based on first reviews and public excitement I was pretty sure that the 2019 would repeat the 2013 success or might do even better, but after I've sat in one I think Toyota made a few mistakes and a large group of potential buyers wont really like it. It's not a bad car, not my cup of tea though, but without real intensives it wont sell, so Toyota better hurry up and increase intensives to 4-5K. I don't know if I'm a potential buyer or not and I'm not a SUV person for sure, but even with 5K on the 2019 hood I would get a Highlander or redesigned Pilot. The 2016-17 Avalon is not exactly me either, but the 2019 missed me by a mile.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
post #12 of 317 Old 07-24-2018, 01:20 AM
straight cash homie

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
The market always been tough on full size "entry luxury" sedans and even with adjustment on "tougher than it was 5 years ago" the 2019 Avalon is still selling pretty slow. Based on first reviews and public excitement I was pretty sure that the 2019 would repeat the 2013 success or might do even better, but after I've sat in one I think Toyota made a few mistakes and a large group of potential buyers wont really like it. It's not a bad car, not my cup of tea though, but without real intensives it wont sell, so Toyota better hurry up and increase intensives to 4-5K. I don't know if I'm a potential buyer or not and I'm not a SUV person for sure, but even with 5K on the 2019 hood I would get a Highlander or redesigned Pilot. The 2016-17 Avalon is not exactly me either, but the 2019 missed me by a mile.
We know that sales will go up when they stack $10K on the hood since it has happened sometime in the past few months during the selldown of the 2018s (and any 17s or 16s lingering on some dealer lots)...yes it is early to throw down that much money on a redesign, but who knows if those tariffs will come into play.
post #13 of 317 Old 07-24-2018, 04:20 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Who is the target market for the 2019 Avalon?
If it's current Avalon owners. Toyota has the problem of selling against their own successes. Avalon owners I know tend to keep their cars long term. We buy comfortable, reliable, upper echelon sedans and take care of them. My dealer is eager to trade me out of my 2011 Limited, but what does the 2019 Avalon offer that I lack and need? What's the unique selling point? If I were in the market for a new car, I would be in the market for another Avalon, but until that moment I will read the forums and learn from the experiences of others.
VanGo3 likes this.
post #14 of 317 Old 07-24-2018, 11:35 PM
straight cash homie

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookie44 View Post
If it's current Avalon owners. Toyota has the problem of selling against their own successes. Avalon owners I know tend to keep their cars long term. We buy comfortable, reliable, upper echelon sedans and take care of them. My dealer is eager to trade me out of my 2011 Limited, but what does the 2019 Avalon offer that I lack and need? What's the unique selling point? If I were in the market for a new car, I would be in the market for another Avalon, but until that moment I will read the forums and learn from the experiences of others.
Because its all new? They figure either you want the newest one, or one of their SUVs like the rest of the population...the dealer sees your car as an opportunity to put you in a new car and potentially take yours in trade. Just business.
post #15 of 317 Old 07-27-2018, 10:35 AM
BeerSteakTxas

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookie44 View Post
I think the primary target buyers for the 2019 are current Avalon owners and a bit younger auditory that is not happy with the Camry and can not afford an ES yet, but imo the new Avalon will attract only a small portion of that auditory.
I drove a 2003 and 2005-12 models and to me the 2019 model reminds me the Gen 3 Avalon much more than the Gen 4. I'm not trying to say anything bad about the 2005-12 model, but it feels too large, bulky and heavy, the same way as the Gen 3 feels to me and the same as the Gen 3 the 2019 has some interior materials and design elements that downgrade the interior. Even the 2019 "trampoline" center stack remind me the 2011-12 center stack.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 5th Generation (2019+)