Hatch Rear Sway Bar - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 12th Gen (Hatch 2019+/Sedan 2020+) Forums dedicated to the 12th generation Toyota Corolla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
tah
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hatch Rear Sway Bar

According to my dealer, the TRD rear sway bar is for the sedan only and not the hatch. Has anyone found a rear bar for the hatch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 03:24 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I think that sway bar is for an 11th generation sedan (2019), not 12th generation hatch (2019). I assume that sway bar will not fit on the new 12th generation (2020) sedan either.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
tah
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowell View Post
I think that sway bar is for an 11th generation sedan (2019), not 12th generation hatch (2019). I assume that sway bar will not fit on the new 12th generation (2020) sedan either.
Sounds right.

I'm hoping someone comes out with a bar for the 2019 hatch soon. It would make a HUGE difference with turn-in and cornering.

Last edited by tah; 05-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 PM
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
The Following User Says Thank You to invader For This Useful Post:
Imaginary27 (05-15-2019)
post #5 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 PM
New TN User

Garage
All the links in one place - bingo! Thank you!
post #6 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 09:15 PM
New TN User

Anyone know the sizes of the stock front and rear swaybars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 PM
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd

Just to confirm Toyota C-HR chassis components compatibility:

VEHICLE APPLICATIONS

TOYOTA COROLLA/ALTIS/AURIS 12th E210 2018-
TOYOTA PRIUS 4th XW50 2015Ėpresent
TOYOTA C-HR 2017Ėpresent

http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=3885
post #8 of 14 Old 05-15-2019, 02:36 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjjay View Post
Anyone know the sizes of the stock front and rear swaybars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fronts probably big enough, the rear could use upgraded. I think a few more mm of bar would go a long way on the rear. Although I've not measured it, I have been under there a few times and noticed the front was pretty beefy for what it is. But with it being FWD going to stiffer rear bar will help increase rotation in the corners and cancel out understeer to promote oversteer.

Part of the reason I went with the RSR springs was for the stiffer rear springs than the front. That plus a proper alignment (no toe in) really brought my handling to life. I'd still REALLY want some aftermarket shocks/struts that are valved a lot firmer than OEM but eh not a priority since it's just my daily.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desy View Post
The fronts probably big enough, the rear could use upgraded. I think a few more mm of bar would go a long way on the rear. Although I've not measured it, I have been under there a few times and noticed the front was pretty beefy for what it is. But with it being FWD going to stiffer rear bar will help increase rotation in the corners and cancel out understeer to promote oversteer.

Part of the reason I went with the RSR springs was for the stiffer rear springs than the front. That plus a proper alignment (no toe in) really brought my handling to life. I'd still REALLY want some aftermarket shocks/struts that are valved a lot firmer than OEM but eh not a priority since it's just my daily.
The stock rear bar must be tested for the easy handling for the daily driver as understeer would be safer than oversteer. By the way have you switch to better rubber (summer performance) as the stock A/S Yokohama Avid GT sucks as it only has B traction and loud road noise?
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2019, 07:20 AM
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd

Stock suspension coil springs are much too soft for proper support and stability... I managed to stiffen mine up considerably while raising it by about 1.25" with 30mm urethane rear spring upper seat spacers which also increased rear spring preload, along with modified 2019 Camry 2.5 front springs. This completely got rid of floatiness and excess weight transfer under acceleration and braking. Control and road feel are now absolutely superb. In conjunction, stiffening up rear 'motion control' motor mount also improved clutch control and power transfer tremendously. My Hatch is now completely transformed, and drives like an absolute beast.

Last edited by invader; 05-16-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Front sway is 28mm and rear is 25mm, they are not skinny by any means. I think once more coilover kits become available, I will jump onto one because I don't enjoy the lack of feedback from the stock suspension.

I find this a little scary because the stock setup with the Dunlop Sport AS tires, when I corner a little too hard. It could be quiet while it has grip, however, when the tires started to make some noise, then I felt the suspension could't fully compensate and wanted to give up. I personally like setup where the noise acts as a warning for going above limit, but this... when I hear the sound, I am already over the limit.

The numbness of the steering is also another issue, I can't feel the front tires losing traction during understeer.

Of course, this auto-x style of driving is not a typical Corolla driver would be doing.. just something I have to deal with if I am ever taking it out for a run.

I am surprised no one to do a in-depth testing of the HB, there are 2 automotive coaches that has done thorough testings of the HB (even in automatic) and praised the car. They are in Chinese but I am sure it's nothing we don't already know, the mountain road testing is probably the most interesting.

Last edited by killer23d; 05-16-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehatchback View Post
The stock rear bar must be tested for the easy handling for the daily driver as understeer would be safer than oversteer. By the way have you switch to better rubber (summer performance) as the stock A/S Yokohama Avid GT sucks as it only has B traction and loud road noise?

I have an XSE So I'm on Dunlops I believe. Haven't swapped tires because it's my daily. I'm spending a small fortune on my MX5 currently trying to get it up to my standards of a good weekend cruiser.

But upgrading the rear bar, you wouldn't even notice on a daily drive. Unless you royally screw up. lol. I know cars are set up to push/under steer from the factory usually, but yeah, the goal is to get rid of under steer and get the car to rotate through a corner. Instead of trying to push through a corner. FWD if the back end kicks out, just point and gas!
post #13 of 14 Old 05-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer23d View Post
Front sway is 28mm and rear is 25mm, they are not skinny by any means. I think once more coilover kits become available, I will jump onto one because I don't enjoy the lack of feedback from the stock suspension.

I find this a little scary because the stock setup with the Dunlop Sport AS tires, when I corner a little too hard. It could be quiet while it has grip, however, when the tires started to make some noise, then I felt the suspension could't fully compensate and wanted to give up. I personally like setup where the noise acts as a warning for going above limit, but this... when I hear the sound, I am already over the limit.

The numbness of the steering is also another issue, I can't feel the front tires losing traction during understeer.

Of course, this auto-x style of driving is not a typical Corolla driver would be doing.. just something I have to deal with if I am ever taking it out for a run.

I am surprised no one to do a in-depth testing of the HB, there are 2 automotive coaches that has done thorough testings of the HB (even in automatic) and praised the car. They are in Chinese but I am sure it's nothing we don't already know, the mountain road testing is probably the most interesting.

https://youtu.be/KIcJ_AFQSRI?t=176

Right on. The electric steering needs to be a bit heaver. Or even have the option to increase the weight of the steering via ECU flash. (would be awesome but not likely ever to happen)

As far as coilovers go, RS*R will be your best bet. They opt for a much more performance version of coilovers, and spent a bit of time developing them. They aren't just rebranded BC's which are just pre-builds they change the mounts and valving on. And they use way better spring rates than anyone else I've seen. Only way to beat them is to go to a Swift spring on a coilover and have the valving matched to them.

Tire wise, the Dunlops have a decent amount of grip, but very little feedback. IDK if I've heard my make any noise yet, but because of my stiffer rear springs, I will usually feel the rear rotating and know I'm near the limit of grip before the tires let go. So I don't push any harder once I feel that. The 225's put down a pretty decent amount of grip though. I mean, they aren't as good as S-Drives or RE71's or something like that, but they are solid daily driver tires that still allow you to go out and have some fun. I am a back roading enthusiast so my cars must be up to par on handling to really enjoy it. That's one of the reasons I picked the Corolla over the competition. The suspension really comes to life.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd

That's right... What it needs most are heavier and more supportive suspension coil springs. Mine also kept bottoming out on our roads before my drastic improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 12th Gen (Hatch 2019+/Sedan 2020+)