Toyota's manual take rate and the Corolla HB - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 12th Gen (Hatch 2019+/Sedan 2020+) Forums dedicated to the 12th generation Toyota Corolla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
straight cash homie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Toyota's manual take rate and the Corolla HB

Interesting article here, I suppose the Corolla HB has the 'best' take rate for any Toyota model still offered with a stick. But yeah, Toyota is still trying to Save the Manuels.

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-reve...sions-it-sells
Quote:
Unsurprisingly, the number isn't very large.

It's no secret that manual transmissions are a dying breed, and many automakers refuse to even build them anymore. Even though enthusiasts love to claim they'd one car or another as long as it had a manual, very few buyers are actually putting their money where their mouth is, and the sales numbers prove it. Toyota is one of a handful of car companies that continues to offer a manual option on several of its cars. The Corolla sedan and hatchback, Tacoma, Yaris sedan, and 86 are still offered with manuals, but the take rates are very low. Speaking with Toyota at the launch event for the new Supra, CarBuzz learned just how low.

While sitting at dinner, the topic of manual transmissions came up and we asked to see exactly what percentage of new Toyota cars come with a manual. "I can find you that," said Toyota spokesperson Nancy Hubbell, before showing CarBuzz an email detailing the breakdown of manual take rates across the lineup.

The Corolla lineup has the lowest take rate at less than 1%. With around 280,000 Corollas sold in the United States in 2018, this means less than 2,800 were delivered with a manual transmission. "It's not very high for the Corolla as a whole, but it is better if you just count the hatchback," Hubbell said.

If you only count the Corolla hatchback, which was developed with an all-new six-speed manual transmission, the take rate is much higher at 15%, though hatchback sales pale in comparison to the sedan. The outlook for manuals in the Tacoma and Yaris isn't much better, with buyers of both cars opting for them around 5% of the time. Since the take rate on the Mazda-built Yaris sedan was so low, Toyota decided not to offer the new 2020 Yaris hatchback with a manual option.

Although the Corolla, Tacoma, and Yaris manual take rates are somewhat worrying, the 86 should make up for it...right? Well, we expected a sports car like the 86 to have a much higher take rate than the mainstream cars, but the number is only around 33%. This means two-thirds of 86 buyers are opting for the six-speed automatic in a car that desperately cries out for a manual. If you had any doubt that the manual transmission is dying, the proof is in the sales numbers.

Last edited by got-rice; 05-14-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
What are people afraid of? Toyotas and hondas are one of the easiest cars to learn how to drive an Mt.

My dad taught all of his kids to drive a stick. And I am teaching my son to drive a stick too. He'll eventually get my Corolla.

The only thing that bugs me, is that it's electronic. I prefer the throttle cable. Sorry, no brand new Corolla in my future.

I always get nervous when I pull up in my Corolla xrs to the valet stand. I watch some 20 yo either stall or wheel spin and then stall. SMH!

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

"If it ain't broke yet, it's probably still working like a Swiss time piece; until you open it up and all hell breaks loose"
post #3 of 18 Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
straight cash homie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Supreme Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75aces View Post
I always get nervous when I pull up in my Corolla xrs to the valet stand. I watch some 20 yo either stall or wheel spin and then stall. SMH!
I hate valeting...I would pay them to let me park it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
What are people afraid of? Toyotas and hondas are one of the easiest cars to learn how to drive an Mt.

My dad taught all of his kids to drive a stick. And I am teaching my son to drive a stick too. He'll eventually get my Corolla.

The only thing that bugs me, is that it's electronic. I prefer the throttle cable. Sorry, no brand new Corolla in my future.

Yup. Pretty much all cars today have drive by wire throttle. Doesn’t your XRS have it too?

DBW does not integrate well with manuals unless they’re luxury brands like Porsche’s and BMWs where there’s hardly any rev hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Are we the soon to be extinct dinosaur??

They are "millennial" and "wife/gf-proof" - said by the men in our shop that rides bikes and drive MT. 😂 They believe the word "driver" should be those who knows how to drives 3 pedals and participate competitive automotive events. Most people, especially new drivers are "operators", as they only know how to operate switches and toggles and the computer does the rest like playing video games.

As I work in k-12 education, I miss those times where kids hover around the parking lot with Integras and Celicas or parent's Camrys, Crown Vic and Accords. Kids (including myself) chatted about modding and fixing cars, blasting stereo/subs, HIDs, and generally helping each other out and maybe a bit of street racing at night. Today, there is none of that scene.

At the very least some manufacturers still offer 6MT on their sportier line like the Type-R, Veloster N and GTI and possibly the coming-if-ever MazdaSpeed3. But these cars are not typical mainstream vehicles with narrow market; in the future either they are going to only offer MT to these lines only or they phased them all out for good as they are never the bread and butter for any manufacturer.

For whatever that is out there on the road, I would expect MT should hold the value better than the ATX counterpart. At least in Vancouver, anything decent with a manual get sold quickly, especially anything Toyota and Honda and Porsche.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 02:23 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I mean, luxury car, sure automatic all day. Large truck, fine that works too. But small hatchback with a cvt as the only other option other than proper manual, I'll buy the manual all day. As I'm getting older, I get why auto's are appealing. My next new car, will almost 100% be a automatic luxury car because I'm getting old and soft. However, as long as I can drive manual, there will be one in my fleet/driveway/garage whatever. There are a tons of reasons to buy a manual over an auto, more so on small economy cars. From operating cost to lifespan. But there's only one reason I need: it's just more fun.

I am pretty sure you can link distracted driving to automatic transmissions. Hell the rare times I've driven an automatic in the last 10 years or so I find my self bored with my hands. Then they tend to either light up a smoke or grab the phone. I don't find my self reaching for the phone while driving a manual transmission vehicle. The world would be safer if more people banged their own gears.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First, driver training/education is abysmal in the States. So to expect the typical driver to be able to use their left foot along with having to row gears with their right hand is the proverbial stand on one foot patting your head with one hand and rubbing your stomach with the other. Also, with the current mindset of the typical American driver, how can you text message, do your make up, etc if you have to lose one hand to shifting gears?

Second, it's sort of the chicken before the egg or a catch 22 situation. Dealers are not ordering that many cars with manuals to stock in their inventory. Many people won't go through the trouble of ordering a specific car with a manual to have to wait however long for the car to be delivered. But the sales numbers for manuals cause dealerships to not want to take the chance to order any significant numbers of manuals. It's a viscous cycle. I know a friend who bought a Tacoma with an auto. About a week later he was seriously contemplating trading in the truck to get one with a manual. But the dealership at the time didn't have a manual Tacoma in inventory. I'm sure had there been a manual in inventory he would have bought it.

An aside about the mod culture. It's becoming increasingly more difficult to mod a current generation car. With all the electronics involved, you can't mess with one sub system without affecting another. In the past, you could do engine mods such as throwing in a different cam with changes in lift and duration. Good luck with doing that on a variable valve timing engine without spending a significant amount of money....that's if you can find an aftermarket company willing to put the work into such a product. I also find the modding culture to have morphed into an all show and no go.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 AM
New TN User

I was interested in the manual transmission. The 6 dealers in my area only stocked automatics from last October until this March. Then only 1 dealer was willing to stock a few manual transmission cars. One of which I purchased. How can a person say that only x% of people are purchasing a manual transmission when all that is available is the CVT. Does not seem very scientific.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluckow View Post
I was interested in the manual transmission. The 6 dealers in my area only stocked automatics from last October until this March. Then only 1 dealer was willing to stock a few manual transmission cars. One of which I purchased. How can a person say that only x% of people are purchasing a manual transmission when all that is available is the CVT. Does not seem very scientific.

Special order. My ‘14 Corolla L was special ordered by the previous owner who paid an additional $850 and waited a couple of months for it.

post #10 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluckow View Post

This is why I am against buying from the middle-man as they dictate what the market gets. We are in the era of buying everything direct and cars and houses are the only few left that still need middle-man. 😕 Imagine we all buy direct from Toyota and I am sure manuals are plenty to have.

I waited 3 months for my 6MT and not everyone is as determined when buying a car. They usually have alternatives and if one is not available, they move on to another model and with technologies, business can go elsewhere easily. Exactly the catch 22 issue.

Driver training is lacking in US and Canada compare to the rest of the world. It seems to be people take driving as a right. I think if you can't handle 3 pedals, you shouldn't drive as you may not have the ability to multi-task/coordinate. Driving a stick will teach you to be a better driver as you have to understand the physics and feel the car thus knowing your own and the car's limit - and often times those save your life because you won't take chances like many young kids with powerful cars.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer23d View Post
This is why I am against buying from the middle-man as they dictate what the market gets. We are in the era of buying everything direct and cars and houses are the only few left that still need middle-man. 😕 Imagine we all buy direct from Toyota and I am sure manuals are plenty to have.

I waited 3 months for my 6MT and not everyone is as determined when buying a car. They usually have alternatives and if one is not available, they move on to another model and with technologies, business can go elsewhere easily. Exactly the catch 22 issue.

Driver training is lacking in US and Canada compare to the rest of the world. It seems to be people take driving as a right. I think if you can't handle 3 pedals, you shouldn't drive as you may not have the ability to multi-task/coordinate. Driving a stick will teach you to be a better driver as you have to understand the physics and feel the car thus knowing your own and the car's limit - and often times those save your life because you won't take chances like many young kids with powerful cars.
I personally think everyone should know how to ride a motorcycle before they can get their driver's license. Pretty much anyone can drive a car. Not everyone can operate a motorcycle. It requires more skill that in my opinion translates into a driver of 4 wheels to be a better operator.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Beside low offering (cause or the consequence?) and youth laziness (a constant perception since the dawn of times in every society, so…) there are cultural reasons embedded in post-war history, the golden era of “car for everyone”.

In Europe, resources, money and even facilities were scarce or destroyed. Combined with shorter distances and much older cities lay out, it lead to mostly small commodity cars (think original Mini and 500, 2 CV, real production KdF [Beetle] or even the Isetta). An automatic in those power limited cars makes no sense, and so went the car culture. Even as today, in some countries, you still have to choose between a more restrictive automatic car driver’s license and a manual one. And yes, driving training is set accordingly.

US, on the opposite, were “king of the world”, going suburbia, long distance highways, giant malls and parking lots, bigger, heavier, comfy, luxurious, big engines, selling technological prowess, in a cheap petrol environment. Hence a different car culture, marketing last year design technology and format as so obsolete to anyone… (and a difficulty to penetrate foreign markets and even, at times, maintain local market, but that’s another story).

“Fun” (or engagement, satisfaction), if one cares, might be the last argument for the manual here. Even the cost and simplicity advantage are slowly drowning in electronics and “intelligent” gimmicks. Performance and mpg wise, the advantage isn’t really there anymore, except maybe for a very skillful driver. Not always the case, sorry: how many times have I been unable to maintain a linear acceleration following a manual driver slow to find next gear, losing momentum between each of them…

Last edited by jolly; 05-15-2019 at 02:25 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercron View Post
Quote:

Yup. Pretty much all cars today have drive by wire throttle. Doesn’t your XRS have it too?

DBW does not integrate well with manuals unless they’re luxury brands like Porsche’s and BMWs where there’s hardly any rev hang.

Mine is an 06 xrs. It has a throttle linkage at the throttle body iacv.

As for all others, it's all laziness. Since I grew up near San Francisco, most I knew who were afraid of the hills and rolling back and burning the clutch.

If you think driving a stick is hard, look at this guy.

https://youtu.be/ZJTKh1b9yBA

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

"If it ain't broke yet, it's probably still working like a Swiss time piece; until you open it up and all hell breaks loose"
post #14 of 18 Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Mine is an 06 xrs. It has a throttle linkage at the throttle body iacv.

As for all others, it's all laziness. Since I grew up near San Francisco, most I knew who were afraid of the hills and rolling back and burning the clutch.

If you think driving a stick is hard, look at this guy.

https://youtu.be/ZJTKh1b9yBA

Use the e-brake to prevent roll back... that's what it's for, not for decorative purpose. I wish I have an actual e-brake.

On the other hand, don't you find that driving stick can be less distracting? Can't really pick up your phone, drink, food, make up when you are rolling. I think it's much safer and police doesn't have to spend time ticketing distracted driving - better for the society.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-16-2019, 12:59 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
That's why I prefer a stick on long road trips. It just sucks when travelling on 5 north thru parts of bakersfield and the central valley.

Outside of that, keeps me busy enough, especially when in lift.

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 12th Gen (Hatch 2019+/Sedan 2020+)