*** Official New Member Introduction Sticky *** - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 4th Gen - Hybrid (XX40/2012-2018) Toyota Avalon Hybrid discussion for years 2012-2018.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7757 Post(s)
Thanked 8,691 Times in 6,117 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
*** Official New Member Introduction Sticky ***

This introduction sticky thread is meant for new forum members to introduce themselves to their fellow Toyota Nation members, but in particular to members in this specific vehicle model forum. Please keep this thread strictly to introducing yourself, and if you have a mechanical issue that needs assistance right away then please post a new thread in this forum.

Thank you, and welcome to Toyota Nation!

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-24-2019, 01:38 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hello From Portlandia!

I'm Joe, and I live in the southern suburbs of Portland, OR (AKA Portlandia). Although I retired from the Army Reserve in 2006, I was not eligible to collect my modest retirement pension until 2017. To celebrate that momentous occasion, I traded in my 2007 Camry for a 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited. I had fallen in love with the Avalon when I had taken my Camry to the Toyota dealer for servicing, and killed time wandering through the showroom checking out cars. So, when the time came, I found a great deal on a Toyota Certified Used model.

Although I had considered a used RAV4 Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid or Energi (plug-in version), Nissan Rogue Hybrid, Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, and the Mazda CX-5, ultimately the SUVs were too expensive on the used market due to their popularity. Mileage was another consideration: I had plans to do some traveling and wanted something that got great mileage. Sedans have a decided edge, even over hybrid SUVs due to lower profile and frontal area. Although I had looked at some Avalon XLE models, I was fortunate to find a Limited model (with the technology package to boot) that was within my price range.

So far, I don't get close to the EPA city mileage. In suburban driving (mixed city/Interstate), I'm only getting around 32 MPG. On straight Interstate driving, I have gotten as much as 45 MPG. Best of all, when I use Sport Mode, it's a lot of fun to drive on the twisty mountain curves of US 20 from Salem to Bend... perhaps not Ferrari fun, but it's a great way to get places. It's the best of both worlds... high mileage like a Prius, but much, much more comfortable.

I'm hoping to get ideas from the forum about possible modifications that might allow my Avalon Hybrid to run in EV mode for more than a few blocks, and possibly at slightly higher speed before the engine kicks in to make suburban driving a bit more practical. I figure there's got to be some kind of programming tweak or computer chip that might help that. I would also be interested in mods that would top off the battery overnight to maximize the EV Mode availability.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hi Joe. Welcome to forums.
I appreciate you using this thread for introduction.

I'd recommend to start a MPG improvement thread in general Avalon, aka TAH - Toyota Avalon Hybrid - section.
Good luck with city mpg.

Best

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Avalon Hybrid > Avalon 4th Gen - Hybrid (XX40/2012-2018)