Actual vs. Computer Gas Mileage - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 4th Gen - Hybrid (XX40/2012-2018) Toyota Avalon Hybrid discussion for years 2012-2018.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Actual vs. Computer Gas Mileage

I have a 2018 TAH Limited with just over 12,000 miles on it. Every time I fill up I record the miles for that tank of gas and calculate the mileage. When I compare the actual mpg to what the car's computer tells me, the actual is almost always less. Only 6 of the 32 times I have filled it up has the actual mpg been higher than the computer mpg. The computer mpg is regularly off by 2 - 3.5 mpg.

I recognize there will be variability in when gas station pumps sense a full tank and shut the pump off but this is too consistently in one direction for it to be caused by that.

To date the TAH has averaged 32.9 mpg and the best tank mpg has been 39.7 mpg, last July. Bought it Jan 30, 2018.

Anyone else have experience with the computer mpg being "off" so much?

Thanks
Ken

PS majority of driving is in eastern PA so not really much in the way of "flat" roads.

Ken K.
Lehigh Valley, PA

2018 Avalon Hybrid Limited in Parisian Night Pearl
2010 Highlander SE AWD in Magnetic Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
My 2014 TAH computed MPG is always optimistic, as well. My previous rides (VWs) were similarly afflicted. In the VWs, I could have changed, via software update, the accuracy of the factory default setting.

It's possible the Avalon default MPG calculation can be manipulated, as well, but I've never bothered to investigate it.

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My computer is also a tad optimistic. It will read 36mpg but my actual hand calculated MPG will be around 34-35 around town, 80% highway. For reference mine is a 2016 w/ 228k miles and I've been running 93 octane from Shell or Sunoco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I can only recommend 2 things.
1. My TCH had 7 different mpg read outs. Not different result, different ways to look at it. Average, after refuel, current, several in NAV unit. I had post on this, lost in time and other posts. What I am saying is simple. Every tank average is subject to 10% variable. Same goes for any other mpg reading, except one. That one being long term mpg. That mpg is averaged summary of all mpg data vehicle ECM has over long period of time. As such, that mpg is not subject to variation, as it equalizes them over time. Best I can recommend is to figure out, which reading in your vehicle actual long term mpg, set your display to it - and NEVER reset it. Remember - it has to average LONG TERM sum of all other average mpgs. Takes roughly 8 months until it stops changing rapidly and, agter that, it changes very slowly. Goes up summer time, goes down winter time. Wave. All other mpg readings you will be looking at are pretty much bogus as they vary widely based on temperature, gas, traffic, current trip terrain, mood you were in, rush you had that trip, load you had that trip and so on. Tire pressure. MANY factors. So do what Ron Popel said - Set it and forget it. Otherwise, drive yourself nuts with ever changing mpg readings.
2. Fuelly. It will, basically, do same for you - average long term mpg.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	244066  

Last edited by ukrkoz; 07-04-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Can't add 2 pics to same post. So here it is
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	244068  

post #6 of 11 Old 07-05-2019, 10:16 PM
14TAH Touring 10 TundraDC

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
You can tag Fuelly to your Sig line. See below.
My Avalon & previous Camry read about 1-2mpg proud versus the Fuelly actual mpg.
I Fill as soon as possible but no panic after the light comes on.
Last tank record at 54.3 mpg and over 750 miles stretching over 5 weeks. Incredible mpg for a car this roomy.
I do have a very mpg favorable route to work with mostly 40-45 mph semi flat rural highway routes with only a few stops and low traffic.

2014 TAH Touring, Classic Silver/Black
2010 Tundra DC SR-5 Slate/Gray

Last edited by Rebmo; 07-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Interesting. Such record is not even listed on Fuelly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	244256   Click image for larger version

Views:	8
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	244258  

post #8 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Not sure why you can't find it. I just went directly to Fuelly.com/ and Toyota/ and Avalon/ 2014/ and low and behold there it was a ways down.
Click on my Fuelly banner and it will take you right to my record (if that's what you are talking about? )

post #9 of 11 Old 07-07-2019, 09:01 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I guess, Fuelly didn't update it yet.
Their averages stop at 48mpg grand average and 46 for your year.

You must have been rolling down the mountains into long open flat valley.... That is a highly unusual mpg. Just like Whitesands in TCH forum. He had mpg in high 50s even hit 60s once - at expense of being known by local police, they stopped pulling him over for dragging. Besides, he lived(-s?) in some flat rural town in one of them open road hot states, goes on night "driving" mpg chasing trips, so no wonder.

Well, though commendable, it is not by any means representative of average mpgs for TAH, which should have lower mpg vs TCH, considering heavier vehicle.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I guess, Fuelly didn't update it yet.
Their averages stop at 48mpg grand average and 46 for your year.

You must have been rolling down the mountains into long open flat valley.... That is a highly unusual mpg. Just like Whitesands in TCH forum. He had mpg in high 50s even hit 60s once - at expense of being known by local police, they stopped pulling him over for dragging. Besides, he lived(-s?) in some flat rural town in one of them open road hot states, goes on night "driving" mpg chasing trips, so no wonder.

Well, though commendable, it is not by any means representative of average mpgs for TAH, which should have lower mpg vs TCH, considering heavier vehicle.
Yes, What you are looking at is correct and my TAH is included in the range. That is the range of overall averages. My 2014 average overall is 45.0 mpg which puts it in the high end of the range for that year TAH. My recent record is 54.3mpg for the last fill up and over 750 miles since the last fillup (done near the timing of the Low Fuel warning light comes on. As mentioned, I don't drive a typcial route. I do some hypermiling techniques which are quite effective in warm weather.

I did have a 2012 Camry Hybrid and actually get slightly better mpg than that vehicle on the same daily route primarily. My overall Fuelly average for the Camry was 44.0 mpg. That was a great car and highly recommend. I'm tall and the Avalon has more room and is more comfortable especially on trips. I think my hypermiling techniques have improved and 1mpg could well be weather variation which can make quite a difference especially colder winters or extra warm summers with A/C running.

Anyway, Looking for the upcoming Tundra which may be a Hybrid according to industry speculation. Right now I get around 12-13mpg in my 2010 Tundra when towing my boat or snowmobiles, and 15-18 when not towing. I don't track the truck on fuelly. I know it's bad. I'd love to see a pickup get near 30mpg that can tow and haul, but that may be quite a ways off.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Will not happen. No matter how they boost engine or else. Ultimately, there is that RAM with FIAT diesel... about best mpg in segment but with dubious reputation. AAd hoc, I have 4 mths old RAM Classic and had it up to 21.2mpg on 5.7 HEMI. Till city driving and heavy traffic iffed it all up down to 18.7. But that's why I didn't buy Tundra. Gas hog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Avalon Hybrid > Avalon 4th Gen - Hybrid (XX40/2012-2018)