PSA Check your spare tire well - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 4th Gen - Hybrid (XX40/2012-2018) Toyota Avalon Hybrid discussion for years 2012-2018.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
PSA Check your spare tire well

Been a lurker here for a good spell, and never really had much to add. Well I think I do now. 2013 TAH Limited with 69k miles. I don't know why, but I decided to check the spare tire, and the tire well had 2 to 3 inches of water, and the jack and spare tire rim were rusted. I keep up with maintenance, but never look at the spare tire. Anyway, after spraying water around the trunk, I found it coming in at the base of the trunk (at the trunk latch) and running straight down the wall into the tire well. Nothing else would get wet so it would be hard to notice. Didn't see anything that could have caused it (trash, leaves etc.) So I replaced the trunk gasket. Could instantly tell the trunk took more effort to close, and no more water.

First car I have ever had that had an issue like that. So every body, run outside and make sure your trunk well is dry!
mekump likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bogieman For This Useful Post:
Rebmo (06-22-2019), Schumi67 (05-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
There is drain plug in the tirewell bottom. Pull it out.
I had multiple cars with that issue. Bad weatherstripping or not. Condensation. Here in PacNW, when it starts raining for months and car is parked outside - it's a large metal box where humidity collects and drips down into tirewell. I had several cars where I drilled drain holes in the bottom.
Hey, new cars don't even have spare anymore.
But yes, sure, thank you for reminder. Won't hurt to check.

post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I guess we look at things different. If Toyota thought it was a great idea to have an open drain inside the trunk, why plug it? I live in the humid southeast, and I have never had condensation dripping inside the trunk area. I am an old fart, and have had many cars, just never have seen this.
Pulling the plug is easy, but I have chopped up two rat snakes in the engine, have had mice chew up wiring, and my brother had a copperhead inside his Tahoe (still have no idea how he got there). So having an open hole in the trunk just doesn't appeal to me. I just prefer to not have a leaking vehicle, and am to old to change my ways and start drilling drain holes in my cars.
This wasn't a complaint about the Avalon, it has been a great car, just a heads up that might help someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Certainly - and it is appreciated. I live in humid Pacific NW and prolly half of cars I owned had this issue in various stages. Trying to remember if I had same in TN and AL... memory is not the best....had condensate cloud coming out of vents with AC working, that I did. Mold granules. That too.

Yes, indeed, I have same question - if there is drain opening - why plug it? I guess, mud and dirt tossed inside... though I had them removed on several and never really had any issue.

Again, thank you for bringing this up to everyone's attention. I usually found my puddles there when car started smelling of rotten potatoes...

post #5 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for your post.

I decided yesterday to check the air pressure in the spare tire, in case I ever need to use it, and found water in the bottom.

Was it difficult to replace the gasket or did you let the dealer replace it?

2013 Sizzling Crimson AHL w/o Tech Package - Build Date: 03/13
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
ukrkoz: Very important thread. I'm wondering if you should move it to the larger Avalon thread, where more people will see it?

As for removing the "drain plug" in the trunk, I'm not sure I agree with that. Any leaks in the trunk should be addressed. I think the trunk shouldn't have any water intrusion of any kind.

I'm curious about your car(s) having "condensation" issues. I've owned many cars, lived in the humid mid-Atlantic region (Washington, DC) for decades, and never encountered any trunk moisture issues that were caused by condensation. I would think any condensation would be minimal, and couldn't possibly amount to the 2-3 inches the OP says were in his trunk. Where is the condensation coming from? If your trunk is dry, it will stay dry, regardless of atmospheric changes in temperature.

Of course, these are my opinions, and I respect yours, especially since you're the one living the experience of excessive moisture in your trunk. The OP found the source of his leak, corrected it, and in my opinion, has no need to remove the "drain plug" in the trunk.

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
post #7 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
The only reason I believe it was condensate is because the entire trunk lid would be covered in droplets of water. it literally looked like condensate on cold metal surface. Several vehicles actually, all parked outside.

I do not believe weather strip on the trunk metal lip seals everything air tight. There should be quite decent air circulation past that strip. Also, condensate may build up over some time as who really looks all the way down there at the bottom of the tire well, under carpeting.
Come to think, buddy's cars had same issue. Eventually it will start smelling of rotten potatoes and that's how we'll find water in the tire well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Avalon Hybrid > Avalon 4th Gen - Hybrid (XX40/2012-2018)