Toyota Nation Forum banner

A/C Odor TSB

43K views 82 replies 36 participants last post by  nme7 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey I just came across a TSB for "HVAC Odor." This affects 2008 model Highlanders ONLY. Here is the info. I guess it must have been really bad for some of you '08 owners for them to spend this kind of money. This is no cheap repair if you have to pay for it.

T-SB-0314-09 (09/02/09)

Applicability​
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION​
2008 Highlander​

Introduction​
Some Highlander models may exhibit an intermittent HVAC system odor. A newly designed
evaporator sub-assembly has been made available to decrease the potential for HVAC odor.​

Production Change Information​
This TSB applies to vehicles produced​
BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

MODEL DRIVETRAIN PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN​
2WD JTEDS4#A#82051771
4WD JTEES4#A#82085228​

Parts Information​
PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY​
88501-33190 88501-28400 Evaporator, Sub-Assy 1​

APPLICABLE WARRANTY​
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
• Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this bulletin.​

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Konde...nice find :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Do these TSBs apply to the US only or do they get issued worldwide?

#5 ·
This TSB applies to vehicles produced
BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

MODEL DRIVETRAIN PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
2WD JTEDS4#A#82051771
4WD JTEES4#A#82085228
I don't understand how to tell if I fall into this production range. Can someone tell me how to read or understand this part.​

#6 ·
The "#" symbol should mean any character in that position is acceptable. The most important numbers are the last 8 digits. If everything else on your VIN matches the first set of numbers, with the exception of the "#" characters, and the last 8 digits of your VIN is equal to or LESS than the VIN given; then your vehicle is affected as per this TSB.

#11 ·
Took mine in today for a minor vent issue and had them check out the AC Odor and the history of it on my vehicle. They checked the VIN and ordered the part. Should be in Monday. I told them I had honestly givien up and decided to live with the odor. Just had to roll the windows down every time I started the vehicle up. Thanks for the help and will let everyone know if it makes a difference. I think it should be an immediate difference.

#12 ·
Took mine in today for a minor vent issue and had them check out the AC Odor and the history of it on my vehicle. They checked the VIN and ordered the part. Should be in Monday. I told them I had honestly givien up and decided to live with the odor. Just had to roll the windows down every time I started the vehicle up. Thanks for the help and will let everyone know if it makes a difference. I think it should be an immediate difference.
Toyota and NipponDenso (Denso US), actually the entire automotive A/C industry, has been working on a solution for this since about 1985. UV lights inside the A/C plenum, various chemical fungicides, anti-microbial coatings of the 10,000 square inches of evaporator vane surface area, etc, etc. None of these have seemed to work in the long term. Some of the coatings have proved to be harmful to humans, or not proved otherwise.

Go to airsept.com and read up on their EED, Electronic Evaporator Dryer, for a sure and certain, LONG term solution.

#13 ·
I'm just spitballing here, but it seems A/C systems ought to be "rigged" so that after use when a vehicle is turned off, a fan runs that blows hot air through the unit until a humidity/moisture sensor detects the unit is dry. If cooling fans can run after the ignition has been turned off, then why not a fan for the A/C, and you have plenty of heat from the cooling system to use for heated air. If that description makes sense....

#15 ·
I'm just spitballing here, but it seems A/C systems ought to be "rigged" so that after use when a vehicle is turned off, a fan runs that blows hot air through the unit until a humidity/moisture sensor detects the unit is dry. If cooling fans can run after the ignition has been turned off, then why not a fan for the A/C, and you have plenty of heat from the cooling system to use for heated air. If that description makes sense....
Yes, this makes sense. Most home air conditioners run the blower fan for 5 to 10 minutes after the compressor has stopped to prevent condensation build up (and therefore mold) in the ducts. I see no reason why an automobile system could not do the same.

#22 ·
Just dropped mine off at the dealer for this repair. It is slated for a 4 hour job, but the tech says it is actually about 5 1/2. When I asked what exactly was being replaced and what a "sub-assembly" was, I was told the evaporator would be replaced along with the plastic housing and all doors/panels, etc. Dealer said they had a regional meeting on this TSB and was told it was something to do with the plastics and evaporator being new designs. Also told me the AC won't drain if on an incline with vehilce nose up. Said level is best, but if there is an incline, the drain will work better if parked nose down. Will update when I get the vehicle back today or tomorrow.

#23 ·
Also told me the AC won't drain if on an incline with vehilce nose up. Said level is best, but if there is an incline, the drain will work better if parked nose down. Will update when I get the vehicle back today or tomorrow.
Didn't know that...thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

#27 ·
Does the TSB cover the Rear evaporator?

I have not checked out this TSB yet bot a question for someone who has?

Does it also cover the Rear evaporator?

On my 08 it is the Rear A/C that has a constant Odor problem. For the fronts I have only had it twice for all of a couple seconds each occurance.

#28 ·
I have not checked out this TSB yet bot a question for someone who has?

Does it also cover the Rear evaporator?

On my 08 it is the Rear A/C that has a constant Odor problem. For the fronts I have only had it twice for all of a couple seconds each occurance.
This TSB does not cover the rear evaporator. I have not yet seen a TSB for the rear evap.

#31 ·
If someone could post a pdf of the official TSB that would be a great help to me. Although Toyota aren't recognising the issue here in Australia, the TSB proves the part is not fit for purpose and I may be able to get it replaced under warranty through our Trade Practices laws.

#32 ·
You might check your VIN number to see if it qualifies

Per the original post the VIN has to be before
MODEL DRIVETRAIN PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN​
2WD JTEDS4#A#82051771
4WD JTEES4#A#82085228

and a 2008 model and a Highlander not a Kluger.
You might be a victum of Right Hand drives no not qualify under this TSB​

#37 ·
Just read this...now that I'm at 36,500, so over my warranty. I did have the dealer try to address it at the 15k service, a cleaning which did little good. I'd pretty much decided to just live with it. Think the dealer or Toyota will do the service without charge based on the TSB? Thought I'd check on the collective wisdom before I call....

#38 · (Edited)
They will actually cover it under a "good will" deal that the dealers have with corporate. This basically means they can ask Toyota in a "telling" way to cover it for the customer. This can actually be done with repairs that are not even in a TSB. It is up to the dealer though. If you didn't buy the car from them and never had it serviced there I doubt you will get anything. Good luck.

#43 ·
I have an '08 and this summer I ran into The Smell. I remembered someone writing that if, on a hot summer day, you ran the heat at the highest setting, for about 5 min. before you turned the engine off, it would create an environment that would kill off The Smell. It worked, but I didn't like having to drive along for the last 5 min. with the heat on.

Now, I noticed that my Highlander's number qualified it for the free repair but in between going in to the dealer I had stopped by a NAPA dealer and they had a $9 can of some disinfectant that the sales person had used on her car and said she'd do it at the start of summer. So I removed the glove compartment, pulled out the cabin filter, turned the air on full tilt, watched which way the air was going and gave it the recommended 5 second spray.

Bit of a chem smell lasted a day or so at start up and then all was back to normal. Well, several weeks later when I took it in to the dealer they said that since there was no smell they would not be able to do the repair! So, since I've never had a car that needed to be sprayed once a year it looks like I'll have to wait till Spring for the smell to come back. Hope this helps anyone who has encountered The Smell problem.

#45 ·
when I took it in to the dealer they said that since there was no smell they would not be able to do the repair! So, since I've never had a car that needed to be sprayed once a year it looks like I'll have to wait till Spring for the smell to come back. Hope this helps anyone who has encountered The Smell problem.
If your VIN # is in the range posted on this thread find another dealer.
There should be no issue on replacing the evaporator. You would think they would jump on it as it as a 8 to 10 hour repair and $$ for the dealership

#46 ·
I'm pretty sure if the smell comes back I'll get the work done either at a dealer here or out in Colorado Springs. The VIN number is in the range posted so I know it qualifies. YIKES! I just looked at those pictures of all that stuff they had to take out to replace the evaporator. Currently I have no squeaks or rattles even if it's down to 10 deg. here in Chicago. I'm wondering if they can really put it all back together properly and not induce a lot of noises I currently don't have. If spraying it as I did last summer knocks the smell out for the year I'd almost not risk having them dismantling the whole thing and wind up with a bunch of squeaks.

#47 ·
YIKES! I just looked at those pictures of all that stuff they had to take out to replace the evaporator. Currently I have no squeaks or rattles even if it's down to 10 deg. here in Chicago. I'm wondering if they can really put it all back together properly and not induce a lot of noises I currently don't have. .
My service department did not got that far in dis-assembly but yes there is a lot of the dash that gets removed and it is a 8 to 10 hour job.

I have had my dash area torn apart twice (once for the evaporator and once to replace the airbag computer) and the patient survived without and scratches or squeaks

I would make sure your service department assigns a senior tech to the job and that they have a reputation for doing quality work. This is not a task for the QuikLub guys.

#48 ·
Used this TSB with my Canadian dealer today because I had the nasty smell after turning off AC, and even though it was a TSB from the USA, they noted that there was a new part # and so ordered a new evaporator.

#51 ·
I had that stinky smell for the last 2 years. I just replaced my cabin filter with a Fram one (it says it has Arm&Hammer baking soda) and so far so good with the odor. Will see if it last through the summer.

#53 ·
What's weird is that I don't get the smell after turning on and off the windshield defrost (used it today to clear condensation from high humidity due to rain). I know the A/C is engaged even though the A/C light is off because the air is coming out freezing cold. Yet, turn it off, no smell. :confused:

Touch the a/c button and have it on for even a 5 seconds (happens in error sometimes), and a few seconds after turning it off again......stench....argh!

#55 ·
I've waited a few months this summer to see if the old sock smell would return. It was there, but just barely, and I found it hard to believe that the little bit of chemical I sprayed last summer was still so effective. At first I thought it was the dry air of Colorado that was keeping it from developing, but I've been back in the Chicago area for two months and the heat and humidity here has yet to increase the smell.

The dealer in Colorado gave me a print out of the TSB because my VIN number matches the range that qualifies for an evaporator replacement. Thing is, I'd like to avoid having them taking the dash apart if I can, since the car has no squeaks or rattles.

So here's what seem to work. I removed the glove compartment and pulled out the interior air filter as I had once before. (Now, it takes all of 30 seconds to do this.) For the second year I sprayed the intake for 5 sec. with "Frigi-Fresh", a 5.5 oz can I picked up at A NAPA dealer. It's distributed by BG Products of Wichita, Kansas. I also gave it a 5 sec. spray at the intake vent on the outside, at the bottom of the window edge. This is done with the system going full tilt.

So far this seems to have worked just fine. After spraying it take a few runs of the air conditioning system to clear a slight cinnamon like scent from the Frigi-Fresh treatment. Time will tell the rest of this summer if this really works. If anyone else gives this a spin I'll be interested to see if it really solves the problem.

#56 ·
Vinegar smell in 08 Sport for sale

Hi Guys,

I just put a deposit on a 08 sport that I like. For sale as certified used car. The car had the vinegar smell when first test drove. Dealer knew I was coming to see it and had the windows open and sun roof open. The vin qualifies for the service specified in the forum. I assume it has not already been performed.
What's the advice of the group here? I will address with the dealership to perform this prior to sale.
Has the smell been bad enough that you would re-consider purchasing the vehicle? Those that have had the work done are you now happy with the results?

Thanks.

#57 ·
I had the evaporator changed and it was ok for a while but the smell returned. I then sprayed HVAC with Lysol (as per suggestion on another thread) and it worked for several months, but I am unhappy to report that I started noticing a slight bit of the smell over the last month or so. Would this one issue prevent me from buying again? Probably not. It can be annoying, but most of the time we have the AC or the heat so it is not noticeable. Mine is only noticeable when I have outside air coming in...no AC, no heat.

We got rid of most of our harsh chemical cleaning products and use a water/vinegar solution for most of our cleaning needs (especially glass). So, it could be nothing, but personally, I would still be very cautious given that I have my doubts that the dealer is being "environmentally friendly". Sounds like something is going on that they needed to disinfect with vinegar. Could be the HVAC, or it could be something else (ie. mold from water leak? vomit in the vehicle? animal urine?) I would certainly want to do a surprise visit at the end of the day when the vehicle has been sitting in the sun, windows closed, for most of the day and then try stepping inside. If there's a strong smell I would probably walk away, especially if the dealer cannot provide a reasonable explanation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.