Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ‘02 Avalon that only gets 210-220 miles on a full tank. What gas mileage do you usually get on your Avalon on average on a full tank, is that a normal amount? What could be wrong with the engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
992 Posts
Welcome to TN.

The US Department of Energy has 6 actual cases shared at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=mpgData&vehicleID=17799&browser=true&details=on

These 6 owners get between ~20 and 27 overall miles per gallon. You're reporting ~12 mpg... but you are not really draining every drop out of your tank. Otherwise, on every fill-up, you'd be walking back to a gas station carrying a gas can, rather than driving into a gas station. Personally, I'm getting ~22 mpg with mostly city driving.

Is your check engine light on? If so, what code(s) are causing the CEL to turn on? (If no CEL, double-check to see that the light is not burned out by turning the key to Run without starting the car... if you don't see the little engine icon, then your bulb is burned out or something's wrong with your information panel in the dash. If your CEL is on, have the codes read at an automotive parts store or by your mechanic. Most major engine/transmission problems that cause bad mileage will set a CEL.)

If you have no CEL, have you perhaps turned off overdrive?

When did you have your brakes serviced last? Do you have a hot wheel or can you smell overheated brakes at the end of a drive? -- perhaps your emergency brake is dragging, or your calipers are frozen and failing to retract the tiny amount they should when your foot is off the brake pedal.

Where are you driving? If you're exclusively traveling switchbacks on two-track back roads in the Rocky Mountains, that would affect your mileage.

If you park at night in neighborhoods swarming with sketchy teenage drivers, are you locking your car to discourage gas theft?

·
Registered
2001 Camry
499 Posts
How many miles do you have, and when was the last time you changed your spark plugs? Air filter? Check the air intake hose(s) for any cracks/leaks...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wow, I get 28-29 mpg (highway) using 87 octane fuel. Your reasons; Plugs, air filter, cracked hoses, driving in town only? Are you showing a check engine light? If so, have you gotten the codes read (at Auto Zone, O'Reilly's. etc.)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have about 235k miles on the car. I'm planning on checking the spark plugs within the upcoming week, they have yet to be replaced. The air filter has been replaced and is clean. Also, the air intake hose is not leaking. Every time I fill my tank, the max mile range is always around 215, although when I refer to the owners manual, I recognize this value should be higher (although the car has 200k+ miles). Thanks

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
992 Posts
This is a real puzzle. The OP messaged me that there's no CEL & brakes are recent.

Doubtless you're likely to need new sparkplugs, but as long as the engine is running smoothly, you won't gain much in the way of MPG by renewing them.

William, you don't have any neighbors well-known for practical jokes, do you? No kids siphoning gas for their motorcycles?

No smell of raw gas in the exhaust?

·
Registered
2001 Camry
499 Posts
It's possible that the check engine light bulb on the dash is burned out from being on for a long time, so you wouldn't notice it? You can check if it comes on for a second or two when you first start the car. Getting ~12mpg, there really should be a light of some sort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same problem. My 2001 Avalon used to get 360 miles off of a full tank. Now it only gets 240 miles per full tank. I do have a CEL light on and AutoZone informed me it was error codes p0440, p0441, and p0446. The check engine light was on a year before the sudden change in gas mileage. I used to get 20-25 mpg, now it is about 13-14. Any help on codes and mileage would be great.

·
Look beyond the marque
167 Posts
Could be a host of things:

-Carbon build up on the intake valve(s)?
-Carbon build up in the IAC valve or throttle body?
-Slow/malfunctioning MAF sensor?
-Slow O2 sensor(s)?
-Thermostat opening too early?
-Small leak(s) in the exhaust system?
-Issue(s) with the fuel pump assembly/fuel filter in the engine bay?
-Tire(s)? Grand touring tires are not known for contributing to better fuel mileage compared to standard touring tires.
-Blown/leaking strut(s)?
-Seized brake caliper(s)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It just happened one night overnight I filled up gas one time and it said 350 miles till empty oh, the next time I filled up the gas tank it said 240 miles till empty. It was extremely sudden. Thank you for the advice I will have to have someone look at that.

·
Look beyond the marque
167 Posts
I filled up the gas tank it said 240 miles till empty
No problem.

At first, I thought you were using the trip meter (by pressing the ODO button to access the the trip meters) to measure the miles for each tank of gas.

I ignore the computer and use that big display to show me trip times.

I have designated Trip A meter for logging miles between fill-ups. I look at Trip A meter after filling up the tank, calculate MPG, and clear out Trip A meter.

I use Trip B meter for logging miles between oil changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The craziest thing ever just happened, so this issue has been going on for at least a month now. I just got in my car after work and got my car up to around 80 85 miles an hour on the interstate and it went from saying 101 miles until empty to 166. Somehow it tripped itself back into working. The timing is uncanny! the miles per gallon gauge and all the other ones were working fine somehow it was just the miles until empty that was not. Weird

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
49 Posts
According to my scan tool and the car's mileage calculator, my 2000 Avalon gets about 16 mpg. When I got the car, the check engine light was on. Both front O2 sensors, bad or open heater circuit. I replaced bank 2 because it is easy to get to. That bank's error code is now gone. Bank 1 is hard to get to, so I haven't replaced it yet. Gas mileage will probably improve when I do, but since my last car was a Lincoln Navigator that got 9 mpg, I am quite happy with my Avalon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts