Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, friend has a '00 4Runner V6, auto 4X4 SR5 with 150,000 miles on the clock. At about 60,000 miles it started making a chirping noise from the pass. front under the hood when moving. Been taken to the stealership four times since to decode the issue. The dealer can't replicate it, replaced pass heat shilds, sound is still there. Wheel bearing were all checked they are all good. The sound happens from 3 mph on. more pronoced on deceleration. Does NOT happen when standing still and reving engine through rpm range. DOES happen when the truck is rolling with automatic in neutral and reving the engine? I was thinking fan clutch, maybe rear driveshaft U-joints??:confused:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From my friend

This is the e-mail my friend sent me about it.

"I'm hearing a constant chirping noise from the front of my truck. It typically occurs when the weather is cool. The truck must be rolling above 3 mph. The noise stops when the vehicle stops.

At a complete stop, I revved the engine in neutral and did not hear the noise. Additionally, I put the car in neutral at 35 mph and the noise was still there.

I notice the noise less when I step on the gas and it is more prominent when I lift my foot. Any ideas what this could be? It is driving me crazy.":headbang:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could be a lot of things. Does the chirp speed up with vehicle speed or engine rpm's? Are they sure it's coming from under the hood? Only when it's moving huh... How do the cv's look? Boots still on and holding grease? I would think the dealer would have already seen this. Maybe (doesn't make sense with what you've written above but...) an accessory belt? Power steering pump or idle pulley tensioner...?? I'm totally guessing... :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, hard one!

kball thanks for the response, ya this one has me stumped also! That's why I posted to see if TN could help!

Here is his response to your questsions:

"Chirping does not really speed up with speed or rpm's. It may not be coming from under the hood, but def. coming from the front end, possibly around the front wheels.

Mechanic has never commented on the cv boots. Can't imagine they would pass up an opportunity for a fix."

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well that doesn't help much! LOL, doesn't speed up with engine or speed....?

Kind of rules out everything. I'm wondering if it's really coming from under the dash. Maybe related to the HVAC system, blower motor etc...

I don't know. If the dealer checked out wheel bearings I'm sure they looked at the brakes and everything else around there. Like you said they wouldn't pass up the chance to make $$$.

Have them try messing with all the functions to see if they can make it change any. Interior controls like HVAC, cruise control, oh rear heater too if they have that. The blower motor is under the passenger seat. Maybe it's making noise and it just sounds like it's coming from up front.

Let us know if you figure it out. Good luck!

edit: Just thought of something else, maybe it has to do with the sway bar bushings. They may squeak some, especially if new. Have they had anything like that replaced lately?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hvac

Never thopugh about HVAC. a '99 Honda Civic I ha did a chirping in low temps when the blower fan had pine needles stuck in it. Wonder if that could be it??

These trucks have a cabin air filter??

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stealership he took it to said it was the right front backing plate/dust shield. We will see.

·
Registered
251 Posts
And they couldn't find that before???!!!! I hate stealerships!!

Hopefully that solves the problem though. It should be a cheap fix so they won't make $$$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
2 Participants
kball
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing