Toyota Nation Forum banner

00 Avalon Turns over but won't start

19K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bid80526 
#1 · (Edited)
Correction:
Does have spark. I just had to be more patient and turn it over a few more times. It appears that it's not getting fuel. Into the shop tomorrow. Will post fix.

Greetings:

Looking to the wisened community for some insight. Just went to start the car an hour ago and am left scratching my head. There was an initial catch of the engine when I first turned it over, but then engine stopped. I gave the accelator a quick pump and nothing. The engine turns over, but doesn't catch. I checked for fuel with a rope down the tank. Plenty of gas. (The fuel gauge jumps to full plus when I'm turning over the car and then when I quit goes back to empty. I've never payed attention to what it has done in the past. The fuel range on the dash indicates 375 miles.)

I pulled a spark plug and had my son turn it over. I can't see any spark and the plug looks dry. Thus my conclusion is the EFI is gone. I checked the fuses and relays and couldn't see anything blown. There are a couple of posts on here about lights flickering (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/search.php?searchid=450570) and I have definelty have had that problem and gone through the same battery/altenator logic to no avail. I noticed that one anwser to the problem was the air/fuel sensors. Possbily related?

Any insights are appreciated.

jg

See less See more
#5 ·
Sum

Well thus ought to give everyone a good chuckle. My wife had the van which had the usual keys that I use in it. I grabbed a copy I had made awhile back. Towed the car to shop, service manager calls and says he needs the master key. The master key???????? I bought the car a year and half ago and had no idea it had a security system on it. Didn't realize the keys had a chip inside them.:lol:

Cest la vie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.