Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Corolla CE
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 200k mile 01 LE, and was looking for stuff to freshen up the interior. The steering wheel is disgusting, so I was checking for new ones on ebay. I found the S wheel and it is beautiful.

My concern is the airbag, is it a direct plugin?

I then stumbled upon gauges...

Does my mileage transfer to the new gauges? And I guess they just plug in, it just looks like a red theme vs white theme (mine).

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Corolla
142 Posts
I couldn't tell you about the plug for the airbag. I'm not sure. But if you replace the current gauge cluster (say 150k miles) with another gauge cluster (120k miles), the mileage that will show will be from the new gauge cluster (120k miles). It won't be accurate to the car.

The best thing for changing the look of your gauges is changing the faces and light color. It's actually pretty easy and cheaper than replacing the whole gauge unit.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,528 Posts
Is the steering wheel 3 spoke or 4 spoke? If it's 3 spoke, then you can source one from the 9th gen Corolla, 1st gen matrix/vibe, and last gen Celica.

Will need the clock spring from the donor to adapt properly if using the Celica.

·
Registered
2001 Corolla CE
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't tell you about the plug for the airbag. I'm not sure. But if you replace the current gauge cluster (say 150k miles) with another gauge cluster (120k miles), the mileage that will show will be from the new gauge cluster (120k miles). It won't be accurate to the car.

The best thing for changing the look of your gauges is changing the faces and light color. It's actually pretty easy and cheaper than replacing the whole gauge unit.
I actually found a set of gauges with 5k more miles than my car, so I think I'll just use them!!!

Is the steering wheel 3 spoke or 4 spoke? If it's 3 spoke, then you can source one from the 9th gen Corolla, 1st gen matrix/vibe, and last gen Celica.

Will need the clock spring from the donor to adapt properly if using the Celica.
Mine is 4? but the one i want is 3. I found a wheel from an 01 S corolla, but no airbag. I got an airbag from a celica, I believe they are the same.

Do any of you guys know about the 12v outlet near the hand brake? My car is pre-wired for it. Is there a part # or something so I can order one? The coin slot is useless for me and I'd rather have extra power there!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,528 Posts
For the 12v outlet, you can cut off the quick connect and solder new wires to extend it to the new location or, find another power source near the driver side kick panel junction box.

Just take the outlet from the junkyard and inspect it for burning.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,433 Posts
I think only the taller rear center console of the 01-02 LE has room for the extra 12V outlet. The CE and older models only have one coin holder there, where the RS3000 indicator and glass sensor mic go. An older standard rectangular blank could also fit there. That spot in my car houses my fuel cutoff switch and an alternator isolation switch which I had since disabled. hehehe

·
Registered
2001 Corolla CE
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the 12v outlet, you can cut off the quick connect and solder new wires to extend it to the new location or, find another power source near the driver side kick panel junction box.

Just take the outlet from the junkyard and inspect it for burning.
I think only the taller rear center console of the 01-02 LE has room for the extra 12V outlet. The CE and older models only have one coin holder there, where the RS3000 indicator and glass sensor mic go. An older standard rectangular blank could also fit there. That spot in my car houses my fuel cutoff switch and an alternator isolation switch which I had since disabled. hehehe
So 2 things:

12v Outlet connector in my center console has no power. So I guess I have to steal power from somewhere, or is there a fuse/relay missing? Why would it be pre-wired and not have power?

2nd thing:

My fuse box below steering wheel has a spot for fog lights, and it's "wired" as it has metal connectors in it, and theres a 20a fuse there. My car has fog lights in the bumper, which have bulbs and are wired, but I do not have the fog light knob on my combination switch..... should I just buy one with the fog light switch and roll the dice?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,528 Posts
Did you try plugging the wire harness to the outlet?

I don't think there's a fuse on that circuit. It only gets power when the key is on acc or KOER.

·
Registered
2001 Corolla CE
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you try plugging the wire harness to the outlet?

I don't think there's a fuse on that circuit. It only gets power when the key is on acc or KOER.
What do you mean?

This is what I checked for power at using a voltmeter

Had KOEO. my cig lighter had power so I figured that would also

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,433 Posts
So 2 things:

12v Outlet connector in my center console has no power. So I guess I have to steal power from somewhere, or is there a fuse/relay missing? Why would it be pre-wired and not have power?

2nd thing:

My fuse box below steering wheel has a spot for fog lights, and it's "wired" as it has metal connectors in it, and theres a 20a fuse there. My car has fog lights in the bumper, which have bulbs and are wired, but I do not have the fog light knob on my combination switch..... should I just buy one with the fog light switch and roll the dice?
The center 12V someone with access to a 01-02 factory wiring diagram will have to chime in.

Fog light... It's all wired. Get FOG fuse, fog relay (orange socket near where the blinker is), fog stalk, fog lights and bulb, then it should work. Fog switch get from a 01-02 S off junkyard or rockauto. Search here for the part number. You didn't say if you have the relay, but you got everything else. Relay and switch should be plug and play then it should all work. Finally, tail light must be on before fog light can come on.

·
Registered
2001 Corolla CE
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The center 12V someone with access to a 01-02 factory wiring diagram will have to chime in.
Hopefully. I tried looking for the fuse that people talk about BEHIND the instrument cluster fuse box but I cannot find it. 0 pictures! ughhh

Fog light... It's all wired. Get FOG fuse, fog relay (orange socket near where the blinker is), fog stalk, fog lights and bulb, then it should work. Fog switch get from a 01-02 S off junkyard or rockauto. Search here for the part number. You didn't say if you have the relay, but you got everything else. Relay and switch should be plug and play then it should all work. Finally, tail light must be on before fog light can come on.
That's what I am gathering. The fog fuse is already in there (behind storage tray under steering wheel), just bought the relay.. I think it goes here?

I bought a fog combination switch, and there are already fog lights/bulb. I think previous owner gave up after installing fogs and fog fuse lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts