Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4x4
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get offical documentation on what this "rust recall" is about and what they are doing for Canadian citizens. I heard some people say they will replace nuts and bolts, some say they will go as far as replace springs and front end components while servicing your truck. I called the dealer today and he says they just do the frame thats it they don't touch anything else, bring in one day back the next. Kinda worries me a little (like I hope they put it back together right and damage free). As of now I have an appointment next thursday to bring in and get the frame done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the official letter in the mail this week. Exactly the same as the US one. When I talked to the dealer they also told me no components will be replaced. Only if the frame has holes in it will they do anything more than just rust proof it.

I'll probably take it in next month. Lets keep this thread going and see what the Canadian dealers do for us. Lets share our experiences.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
2004 Tacoma
52 Posts
So they are offering to rust proof the frame?

Anyone have a copy of the document? I'm second owner of my truck so I didn't get any letters in the mail. The frame is fine, but if they will do any preventative maintenance for me, great!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depends where you live. I got my letter last week and because i live in WA. state they wont even inspect your truck unless you see big holes in your frame.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Depends where you live. I got my letter last week and because i live in WA. state they wont even inspect your truck unless you see big holes in your frame.

Figures! This is all about CYA! We live in one of the most scenic states in the country, and because WADOT doesn't use salt, we are left out in the rustproofing. :thumbsdow They're just trying to get by with as little loyalty to their customers as possible.:disappoin It's all about the MONEY!

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
I would just call another dealer to get your truck inspected. Some dealers are a-holes when it comes to inspections while others will be more than accommodating. Call around and see who will inspect it for you.

·
Registered
'01 Taco 4X4 Ext Cab
114 Posts
I am the second owner of an '01. I live in Mass. No notification received here yet for the rust issue. My frame and other underbody parts have a lot of rust. One of the anchors that bolts the cab to the frame is rusted right through.

How the hell is undercoating a rusty/rotting frame gonna save it? All its going to do is seal/trap in the moisture. Anyone rember Rusty Jones? Then there is just replacing what is rusted out? Dose anyone else see a problem with this?

Are we not as loyal a Toyota customer as those who owned the 95 -00?
Economic times are hard for Toyota right now but they WILL get much worse if they jerk us around to long on this issue. We diserve to be treated the same as the 95-00 owners. My brother was an owner of a 97 and said it couldn't have been handled any better. Quick, painless and more than fair.

More thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know what my Toyota dealership hear in Winnipeg,MB has done. I called Toyota 2 weeks ago to schedule an appointment for a driveshaft lubrication. No problem the guy said, so I booked it in for Monday April 13th. I left it with them in the morning and a couple hours later they called and told me they were keeping it overnight to get a corrosion resistant treatment applied to the frame. I asked the guy was this going to cost me anything. He said "no we just received a recall notice not long ago." So sure enough on the Tuesday I went to pick up my truck and the frame has been completely undercoated. I have posted a link to the pics so everyone can see what they did to my truck. I am very happy with the result. Thanks Toyota!!!

http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/blawrie23/

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes they sprayed the inside with a different kind of coating and sealed off every plug. So Im alot happier now and it looks alot better.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cool, didn't know Toyota was doing that. I got one of those rust letters, but down here 20 miles from the gulf of mexico, the once or twice a year that the bridges MAY freeze they use sand and pebbles. I have just minor surface rust after 7 years. Woohoo

·
Registered
90 Toyota Pickup 4WD
168 Posts
There is another thread I started awhile ago on this, here are a couple of links.
http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/s...y.php?cat=1060

https://secure.toyota.com/cck/ssl/start.do

Does anyone know where I can get offical documentation on what this "rust recall" is about and what they are doing for Canadian citizens. I heard some people say they will replace nuts and bolts, some say they will go as far as replace springs and front end components while servicing your truck. I called the dealer today and he says they just do the frame thats it they don't touch anything else, bring in one day back the next. Kinda worries me a little (like I hope they put it back together right and damage free). As of now I have an appointment next thursday to bring in and get the frame done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I called my local dealer with my VIN# and they informed me that my truck needed to be scheduled in for an inspection.

I will keep everyone posted.

i just had my truck rust checked last week so it will be interesting to see what they say and do

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys ,I just took the truck in for the frame rust recall(2003 tacoma 4x4 trd ),it will take 2 days and they gave me a loaner.They said toyota canada is covering the cost of the rental.Will let you know how it turns out .Dealer is Newmarket Toyota ,here in Ontario ,Canada.

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4x4
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to the dealer last week, they had me in and out in the same day... as far as I can tell they just undercoated it same as anywhere else would, they didn't do anything to the inside of my frame (which worries me because its flakey in there) and the front of the frame near the engine wasn't touched. My truck already had a good undercoat on the outside, so I can't really see where this benefit me much, of course other then the 15 year warranty.
cross my fingers and hope they last that long

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, just got the truck back ,looks great ,they did the whole frame with the thick black stuff and did the inside with the thin seeping penetrent,very pleased with the whole process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
inspection done

so I took my truck in for the inspection and was told that the frame looked good but as a kind gesture they would apply the corrosion spray.

does this sound right?:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts