Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys just picked up my first 4runner it is 2wd and I have fixed several things on it already however the main problem I'm having is when I'm driving the car and giving it has it has a loud whining no ise coming from under the ca it gets louder the faster I go but as soon as I let off the gas it goes away, it only happens when accelerating. I can not replicate the noise with the car in neutral or park only under load. So I did some searching and ran into things like bad joints, torque converters, warped drive shaft. I just don't know where to start I checked fluid they look fine I did a quick look under the car everything looks ok I guess.

what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
oh yeah and the sound stays consistent even when the transmission shifts and it shifts like butter sounds gets louder the faster I go but does not seem to be affecting much its just really loud and annoying it does sound like it's coming from the tranny driveshaft area up front kind of but hard to tell when inside the car. I plan on getting it on stands and trying to replicate while underneath.

thanks again

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The first thing I would do is grease the drive line and U joints.
Ok I plan on checking those tomorrow now because I have a 2wd I don't have the zerk fittings to re grease so do I just replace them.
and when you say driveline what else does that involve besides the u joints what else may need to get greased.

thanks

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Driveline....... I was thinking 4wd for some reason. Are you sure you don't have zerk fittings on the U joints? They should have one. Maybe jack it up and spin the wheels a little so you can see it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Driveline....... I was thinking 4wd for some reason. Are you sure you don't have zerk fittings on the U joints? They should have one. Maybe jack it up and spin the wheels a little so you can see it?

Yeah no zerks on the 2wd apparently unless you put your own on it but I did get the truck lifted put it in drive and the noise is coming from inside the driveshaft near the front middle section of it does this mean it's bad or still related to u joints.

thanks

oh another thing it won't let me give it gas when the truck is in drive and off the ground the traction light comes on and seems to put it in limp mode bit it I put it back in park is fine is this just a sensor reacting to the car being off the ground

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm thinking that on jacks one wheel spins one way and the other the opposite. That may be confusing the sensors. On that year can you turn the trac system off? If you can just turn it off and maybe it will act normal.

With the vibe coming from the shaft I would think U joints.

Did you check the fluid in the diff? Also there is the tranny output shaft bearing/bushing that may be worn also. The faster you go the faster the noise gets is a rotating item. I still think U joints as with acceleration noise and deceleration no noise, that would be typical of U joints. Because of the loading and unloading of the shaft.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking that on jacks one wheel spins one way and the other the opposite. That may be confusing the sensors. On that year can you turn the trac system off? If you can just turn it off and maybe it will act normal.

With the vibe coming from the shaft I would think U joints.

Did you check the fluid in the diff? Also there is the tranny output shaft bearing/bushing that may be worn also. The faster you go the faster the noise gets is a rotating item. I still think U joints as with acceleration noise and deceleration no noise, that would be typical of U joints. Because of the loading and unloading of the shaft.

ok good idea I will try it once I reinstall the drive shaft I did notice the rear u joint was stiff trying to move in one direction so I'm replacing both u joints regardless tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so I replaced both u joints and guess what the problem is still there haha still the same symptoms out starts around 25mph then steadily gets louder as I get faster however it doesn't seem to be affecting performance in anyway it almost sounds like the tires not sure at this point, looking for wisdom and knowledge.

thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is it possible that the car is so out of balance that the tires are making the noise it does shake pretty bad and moves toward the right on its own.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
So you just bought it, so trying to pin it down may take a few shots. As the most notorious would be U joints. Now you don't know any history so the next best thing would be tires. However bad wheel bearings would also cause lots of noise. But if not U joints then tires would be the most logical step. Are they stock tires or are they larger? What type of tires are they?

It could also be tranny whine but at this point you don't know when it started and what was done that may have caused the problem. This is the fun part of owning a used rig.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
:rofl:
So you just bought it, so trying to pin it down may take a few shots. As the most notorious would be U joints. Now you don't know any history so the next best thing would be tires. However bad wheel bearings would also cause lots of noise. But if not U joints then tires would be the most logical step. Are they stock tires or are they larger? What type of tires are they?

It could also be tranny whine but at this point you don't know when it started and what was done that may have caused the problem. This is the fun part of owning a used rig.
definately fun haha, but the tires are stock as far as I can tell ill check brand and type when I get home but they are on stock rims and I haven't checked diff fluid yet but I will probaly change it tomorrow for the hell of it. the car does drive great outside of the loud supercharger noise that won't allow you to have a conversation and the bad vibrations which could be associated with the noise who knows. I don't see any abnormal wear on the tires ill take pics of them.

thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:rofl:

definately fun haha, but the tires are stock as far as I can tell ill check brand and tore when I get home but they are on stock rims and I haven't checked diff fluid yet but I will probaly change it tomorrow for the hell of it. the car does drive great outside of the loud supercharger noise that won't allow you to have a conversation and the bad vibrations which could be associated with the noise who knows. I don't see any abnormal wear on the tires ill take pics of them.

thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One other thing I noticed when removing the driveshaft I had the car in neutral and would spin the driveshaft by hand however there was a delay before it would catch in the diff and start to spin the wheel is this normal I could twist it either way and it would delay before engaging is this normal

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That is kinda what I had understood. It is speed related not RPM related. With that said, if the U joints did not fix it then I would next suspect the tires, even though they don't look bad it may just be the brand and very cheap tires. When I first bought my landcruiser it had very noisy tires. I replaced then with Mich. and all noise went away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is kinda what I had understood. It is speed related not RPM related. With that said, if the U joints did not fix it then I would next suspect the tires, even though they don't look bad it may just be the brand and very cheap tires. When I first bought my landcruiser it had very noisy tires. I replaced then with Mich. and all noise went away.

ok so the tires I have are called (summit cascade 2) which are the back tires and (pirelli scorpion str) tires in the front.

Also I checked the diff fluid and it looks like chocolate milk which I dont think is right so im going to change it tommorow.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That has not been changed in a long time. You may have axle seals leaking. I would do as you planned and then do it again in about 200 miles to make sure the fluid looks like fluid instead of chocolate mild. Bearing grease may be getting in there and mixing with the gear oil. Hopefully just old.

As far as the tires are concerned I would put on four of the same. I know you don't have too on a 2wd but if it were me I would. Not legal on a 4wd, they must be all the same type of tires, at least here in Washington.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
2 Participants
bis_1315m
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing